S3D Games

3DJack
One Eyed Hopeful

S3D Games

Post by 3DJack »

Is there another way of playing S3D games other than using nVidia graphics card? nVidia's 3DTV Play doesn't work, so can I use another graphics card to play 3D games on my 3D telly?
Thanks,
Jack
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: S3D Games

Post by cybereality »

AMD has HD3D which works in conjunction with TriDef Ignition drivers, only on AMD GPUs though.

If your TV has HDMI 1.4a 3D then it should work on Nvidia 3DTV play unless something else is wrong. What is the problem you are having?
3DJack
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by 3DJack »

Hello Cybereality,
Many thanks for replying to my message. The problem is that I've bought 3DTV Play (£32) but it just gives me "3D Ready Display Not Found". This is with either a Sony or a Panasonic 3D telly. Both these tellies work perfectly with 3D games on XBox360, PS3 and PS4. I've raised a support incident with nVidia, but they just send me the usual boilerplate crap "Have you installed the drivers", "Are you using an HDMI or DVI lead", so of no help. The last message from them was that they are going to escalate the the incident, but I don't hold much hope.

So the answer is an AMD graphics card? If I buy one and download the TriDef drivers that should play Steam games in 3D on my 3D telly? The Asus AMD Radeon RX 470 or RX 580 seem to be fairly readily available. I'll get one tomorrow and crush the useless nVidia card!
Many thanks,
Jack
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

It's hard to say for sure without trying, but AMD tends to be more compatible since they support the standard moreso than Nvida. Originally Nvidia was only whitelisting certain displays, though I think later on they made the driver more generic.

Also, another option is to use the TriDef driver in SBS mode, which will almost surely work on your TV. You can do SBS with both Nvidia and AMD GPUs. With SBS you can do 1080p (half resolution) rather than 720P (full res) with frame-packing. It's debatable whether 1080p SBS is any better or worse quality than 720p frame-packed, since they both have a similar amount of pixels. If you want to go AMD, though, the RX 580 looks to be a nice card to get.
3DJack
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by 3DJack »

It worked. My Radeon RX580 arrived yesterday and I downloaded TriDef Ignition 7.4. I got the "This game did not use direct3D 9.10.11... " error but there was a fix for it on the TriDef forum and now it works. At last I got 3D gaming on PC!
I can't thank you enough,
Jack
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Awesome! That is such great news. Have fun.

Return to “General Hardware & Software Technical Support”