Isolating bass from second source for bass shaker project

Falan
Cross Eyed!

Isolating bass from second source for bass shaker project

Post by Falan »

I am having a few problems trying to isolate bass on my PC when running a bass shaker as a second source. At the moment I managed to get it running alongside headphones in-game, however, it is acting like a normal regular speaker and if it is turned up louder with the amp it just reverberates too much with background noise.

Ideally I would like to shut off the medium and high range frequencies from the bass shaker and just let bass go through it. I googled it and tried to run software to control it but that hasn't worked out as planned. Equiliser APO was the software but I don't really know what I am doing with it, I tried altering the notepad config.txt as per this post below but it crashed the program and didn't save correctly:

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comment ... e_we_wait/

If anyone has any experience with this I would really appreciate the help thanks, I want the bass shaker for use on FPS games to add feedback for gun sounds.

Many thanks :O)

Fal
Dom
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Re: Isolating bass from second source for bass shaker projec

Post by Dom »

Hi, if your talking about subwoofer bass then you might need dts or dolby digital encoding. You could get a soundcard from creative labs or get ffdshow and try and load it with the game you are playing. Its mostly for movies and music but might work for games.

If you get 5.1 or 7.1 encoding with dts or DD and connect a spdif receiver or 5.1 analog you could get the subwoofer channel isolated.

In windows 10 or 7 you have to goto the sound properties and select 5.1 surround too and "full range speakers" select "no".
http://www.cns-nynolyt.com/files/doms-systemspecs.html My System specs In HTML

Cyberia on Youtube

__________________________________________________________________________________________
Falan
Cross Eyed!

Post by Falan »

Dom,

Thanks for the reply I really appreciate it. I think the problem is though I don't understand most of what you typed lol I am not that great with computers. I did play about with Equiliser APO a bit more though and think I managed to muddle through it. I had plugged my bass shaker into the front speakers instead of the rear and that was causing all sorts of problems.

Equiliser APO was supposed to copy the left and right speakers into my headphones and...or copy the left and right into the rear right speaker (which is the bass shaker). Something like that, anyway I plugged the bass shaker into the rear speakers in the sound card and then just copied the left and right...yeah I remember now I copied the front left and front right to the rear right speaker and then put the shelf thingy on the RR speaker. The shelf was something to do with the way the fequencies dropped off suddenly for the bass shaker.

That seems to have solved it lol cheers anyway :O)

Fal

Edit - is there any way to isolate the signal going into the bass shaker by the way? I want it to trigger on my own gunfire which I assume would be perfect stereo. I would like to filter out all the background noises like explosions and thought these might not be exact stereo so could be avoided?
Dom
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Dom »

Hi, you might need two soundcards or a software sound mixer that can pass audio from different applications. With two soundcards you could get an app to play audio to each soundcard or a software mixer that can support more than one application.

Heres something I found on the net.

1. Import into sound editor like Audacity.
2. Split channels.
3. Invert phase (polarity) of R channel.
4. Pan both channels to centre and sum together.
5. Invert polarity of the resulting signal.
6. Sum together with the original L channel.
7. Put a fat 4th-order (24 dB/octave) low-pass filter around 150 Hz.
8. ?????
9. Profit!!
https://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/i ... 952AAcpVID

to import live audio you either need ASIO or two soundcards in a computer with a line out to line-in to the other sound card...
http://www.cns-nynolyt.com/files/doms-systemspecs.html My System specs In HTML

Cyberia on Youtube

__________________________________________________________________________________________
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

Hey Falan: Some subwoofer amplifiers already have an active lpf built in. Try to get a cheap used one. It should fit you.
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D

Return to “General Hardware & Software Technical Support”