Sleeping Dogs; Refresh Rate

Post your recommended stereoscopic 3D separation/convergence settings along with game performance recommendations.
koz
One Eyed Hopeful

Sleeping Dogs; Refresh Rate

Post by koz »

Having a bit of an issue here with my 3DTV Play DLP Projector setup.

In order to run 3D, my DLP projector needs to be in 720p (1280x720 @ 60hz), however.. no matter what I do, and I've tried mostly everything.. Sleeping Dogs refuses to run anything other than 120hz at the selected resolution, thus disabling my ability to play 3D.

Now, I've tried:
Changing display file settings for the game itself.
Doing a complete reinstall of drivers.
Trying to "force" refresh rates and scaling options on the driver level.
Other misc.

No matter what, even with 3D Stereoscopic active, with desktop set to 1280x720 @60hz, it will revert to 120hz as soon as the game starts. It only lets me select 1280x720 120hz in the options, there is no option to manually change the refresh rate to 60hz, I can only select from a predetermined set of resolutions in-game.

Only thing I could think of was somehow permanently disabling 120hz on the driver level somehow, as this gives me problems now and then with some games. Thing is, I never intend to use 120hz so it's nothing other than an annoyance. Perhaps remove it before/after installing the drivers?

Tips would be appreciated.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: Sleeping Dogs; Refresh Rate

Post by cybereality »

What projector are you using? I thought 3D projectors needed to support 120Hz.
koz
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by koz »

I'm currently using an Optoma 750e. It's for 3DTV Play, not 3D Vision per se, of course.

I am not keen on the specifics of the refresh rate needed, however.. it simply requires 1280x720 @ 60hz for some reason. You can also run 1920x1080 @ 24hz, but that's not for gaming obviously. That said, even if I wanted to try 1920x1080 24hz, it wouldn't let me in this game because it only lets you pick from a set of resolutions and their maximum available refresh rate. For example, you can't choose 1920x1080 @59, @60, @120, etc.. only 120.

Basically, if I run Sleeping Dogs e.g., the 3D Vision text overlay pops up saying "1280x720 @ 120hz is not supported on this display for 3D. Try using 1280x720@60hz or 1920x1080@24hz." But I simply can't for this game, it's really frustrating.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

If you're talking about the GT750E, then I have that same projector. It supposed to run at 120Hz. I am not sure why that is not an option for you. That said, I am using an AMD card on that rig. Sounds like its more of an Nvidia software issue than anything. I mean, can you run the desktop at 120Hz?
koz
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by koz »

Aye, indeed the GT750E.

I have an Nvidia 680, so it does sound like a software issue. I can run the desktop just fine @ 120hz, but 3D doesn't activate unless it's running at 60hz in-game (all games), for whatever reason. To be honest it never made sense to me, but that's now Nvidia does it.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Disabling 120Hz at the driver level is possible, but I don't know the exact steps needed to do that. It has something to do with extracting the "nv_disp.inf" from the driver and then manually editing it. I just don't know what edits you will have to do. And you could potentially mess things up if you do it wrong, so be careful.

Also, 3D needs the 120Hz mode to run, so disabling it on the driver level may break 3D altogether.
koz
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by koz »

I probably will not bother with that route, even though I've researched it. If anything I'd go with changing EDID but I doubt it, it doesn't seem worth the potential risk for one game's lack of options.

Honestly the idea of not allowing you to enter your refresh rate, and only allowing the maximum available is a really, really stupid decision. In my hours of Google, I'm not the only one with issues, not specifically 3D related either. It's definitely a problem with TV's in general because maximum refresh rate is obviously not always going to be the optimal choice... Sleeping Dogs, shameful. :x (Also not a big fan of NVidia software right now)

Return to “S-3D Game Settings (NVIDIA GeForce 3D Vision)”