Doom 3 BFG

Post your recommended stereoscopic 3D separation/convergence settings along with game performance recommendations.
mkultra333
Cross Eyed!

Doom 3 BFG

Post by mkultra333 »

Been playing Doom 3 BFG, it looks great in stereo. But for experienced s3d people the in-game settings might be a bit weak. Fortunately you can beef up the depth a bit using some variables.

I do it using an autoexec.cfg file. Create the file (which is just a plain text file) using notepad or wordpad and save it in C:\Users\Yourname\Saved Games\id Software\DOOM 3 BFG\base, same folder as the D3BFGConfig.cfg file.

Here are the settings I'm currently using.

Code: Select all

seta com_skipintrovideos "1"
seta g_fov "100"
seta stereoRender_interOccularCentimeters "7"
seta stereoRender_deGhost "0"
seta stereoRender_convergence "20"
seta g_gunX "8"
seta g_gunY "2"
seta g_gunZ "-3"
You can add a seta com_allowconsole "1" in there too if you like, but be warned this disables achievements on Steam. Also be warned that the g_gun variables are listed as cheats, so you might have to remove them for multiplayer, I don't know.

Anyhow, the point of the above is that it increases the convergence and stereo depth quite a bit. A problem then arises with the weapons, they take up too much screen and the view from each eye is too different, so it looks bad. To fix this the g_gun commands move the gun to a better position... but theres a catch. The laser sight out of the gun moves, but the actual vector the bullet moves doesn't, so there's only so far you can shift the gun before the it becomes confusing and you start missing the things you're shooting at. Also you can't move the gun too far or you'll see into your hollow arms. The settings I have above mean the bullets go just a touch above where the laser sight hits, which I find acceptable.

Depending on how much you can tolerate the view of the gun, this places a limit on the convergence. You can try higher if you don't mind the awkward looking weapon. On the other hand, if the above settings make the gun too weird for you, try lower convergences and/or lower interoccular settings.

One other minor issue is the dusty torchlight effect can be a little annoying with the higher stereo depth, as it seems to be more in one eye than the other, but you don't need the torch that often, and when you do it's bearable.

Edit:

Minor refinement. Look at the stereo game without glasses, at some object in the distance. You'll see two images for it without the glasses, one for the left eye and one for the right. Pick some specific point on that object. You want the real world distance between the left and right version of that point, as measured with a ruler on your monitor, to be exactly the same as the real world distance between your pupils. Checking this, I found the ideal setting for stereoRender_interOccularCentimeters to be 7.5 for me, assuming stereoRender_convergence of 20.

Your own optimal value will vary depending on the size of your monitor, your own convergence setting, and the distance between your own pupils. If the on-screen gap is less than the gap between your pupils, you won't be getting the best depth you can... but if it's higher, then your poor eyes will be trying to diverge and you'll get headaches and probably hurt your eye muslces.
JohnCarmack
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: Doom 3 BFG

Post by JohnCarmack »

We struggled a lot with the gun in stereoscopic views. FPS guns are almost always positioned in a physically unrealistic position to maximize 2D artistic impact, which is a big problem in stereo. With lots of guns and lots of animations, there isn't as much freedom to move them around as we would like. For the shipping game it was important that they never show clipped geometry, never penetrate into a wall, always allow the ammo readouts to be visible, and not have the muzzle firing point be too far away from the standard position. If you are willing to compromise some or all of those factors, you can improve the 3D effect.

Next game, we will be designing for stereo from the start.

I like fully realistic separation, but that actually exceeds one platform's submission guidelines, and we have been told that most people don't really want that much separation.

The stereoRender_deGhost variable does nothing in the shipping code. Earlier, I experimented with reducing the contrast and subtracting a fraction of the opposite eye, but it still wouldn't turn a bad 3D monitor into a good one, and I decided to just pull it out.

John Carmack
mkultra333
Cross Eyed!

Post by mkultra333 »

The weapon issue isn't too bad, and the stereo depth settings I have above are pretty high. If people set lower convergence and inter-occular, they probably won't notice anything. I'm used to that kind of issue arising due to artistic cheating of the gun position, so I mostly tune it out anyway provided the gun doesn't take up too much screen space.
I like fully realistic separation, but that actually exceeds one platform's submission guidelines, and we have been told that most people don't really want that much separation.
Yeah, I tend to pump up the stereo to the point where it's almost uncomfortable. My settings above would probably be too extreme for the average consumer, and I can see why a shipped game might prefer to keep things a bit more friendly to the average user. And of course children will have pretty low inter-occular distances so it has to be safe for them to use.

But I'm really glad you've included those cvars so that experienced users can set it up just how they want. As a stereo gamer, there's nothing worse than getting a supposedly stereo game that has been artificially locked down to low settings with no way around it.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Very cool. I can't wait to test this out when the Rift comes.
jaybug
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by jaybug »

Carmack did mention he was experimenting with decoupling the gun when he was making it rift compatible.

Is there anyway to activate this currently?
I know I'd much rather have head movement separated from the gun/body movement.
FR3D
Cross Eyed!

Post by FR3D »

Stereo 3d is running well, but the textures are looking worse.....

So how to replace the low res textures with e.g. this one http://www.moddb.com/mods/wulfen-texture-pack

Whats about parallax occlusion mapping or relief mapping ?

I also have the original Doom3 with mods - and i must say it is looking much better than this new only for consoles made remake.
The gtx7900 with old OpenGL 3D Nvidia drivers is sufficient.

I would say DON'T buy this Doom3 BFG version until the old mods are working well !
I can not understand why Carmack destroyed this very good game for a very bad remake.
Bethesda only wants to make money for nothing !!!!

FR3D
best regards FR3D
vietNOM
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by vietNOM »

jaybug wrote:Carmack did mention he was experimenting with decoupling the gun when he was making it rift compatible.

Is there anyway to activate this currently?
I know I'd much rather have head movement separated from the gun/body movement.
I am very curious about this, i want my head movement separate from my gun and body as well.
Nick3DvB
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Nick3DvB »

Does anyone know what the r_forceScreenWidthCentimeters variable is for? I couldn’t find it in the original Doom III cfg, it doesn’t seem to influence the stereo rendering at all. I assume this value is normally read from the display’s EDID? Doom III BFG seems to be very strict about checking the EDID values, this has actually prevented quad-buffer 3D working for users of CRT’s and non-certified DLP displays.

The usual trick of using a monitor .inf driver (created from a certified display’s EDID) still works fine for Direct3D games and video players in the 306.97 driver but Doom III BFG’s quad-buffer mode just refuses to kick-in at launch. I can’t work out if this is just John being typically thorough or if this enhanced EDID check is imposed on all opengl apps by 3Dvision Pro? I actually had to perform a hardware level EDID update to get Doom’s 3D running on my kit, if we can get an option to disable this EDID check in the next patch I know a few others that would appreciate it to.

@John (if you’re still following this thread)

As the gold release shipped with libfreespace.dll we can assume that it currently supports is the Hillcrest with the standard firmware? Have you been sent the new Rift tracker to play with yet? If the hardware is finalised now can we expect support for that in the next patch? It would be good if there was also some provision for homebrew trackers, if not through the Oculus SDK then maybe some more generic interface could be worked out? Great news on the BFG open source btw, keep up the good work there. 8-)

PS - Interesting doc on SSTO rockets: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZ_a21fPkYM
thought you might enjoy it!
mindw0rk
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by mindw0rk »

John, will Oculus Rift support Skyrim? Shooters are not my type of game, but Id buy OR just for Skyrim if it really adds to immersion
The_Nephilim
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by The_Nephilim »

how did you guys get S3d working in this Game?? I just bought it in the hpoes it was a D3D Convert but it appears it is NOT?? I am thinking I need a Quadro card??
Intel i7 10700K @ 5.1 GHZ / ASRock Phantom 4 AC/4 Z590 Motherboard / G. SKILL Trident Z 64GB - 4000mhz / eVGA 2080Ti 11gb / SoundBlaster Z / HP Reverb G2 / HOTAS Cougar / Thrustmaster MFD's / Buttkicker Gamer 2 / :shutter
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

The game is OpenGL but has native 3D support, you probably just have to look in the game options.
The_Nephilim
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by The_Nephilim »

I did but there was no option for page flip??
Intel i7 10700K @ 5.1 GHZ / ASRock Phantom 4 AC/4 Z590 Motherboard / G. SKILL Trident Z 64GB - 4000mhz / eVGA 2080Ti 11gb / SoundBlaster Z / HP Reverb G2 / HOTAS Cougar / Thrustmaster MFD's / Buttkicker Gamer 2 / :shutter
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

There should be an Nvidia 3D Vision mode, which I assume is what you need. No?
The_Nephilim
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by The_Nephilim »

cybereality wrote:There should be an Nvidia 3D Vision mode, which I assume is what you need. No?

Hmmm I did NOT see that option but I will look for it ..
The_Nephilim
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by The_Nephilim »

Well Cyber I just checked and rechecked there is NO Option for nVidia 3D Vision.. I also wanted to note is there supposed to be triple screen resolutions available in this game..

I saw only a 2048x768 video option?? this game was a total waste so far..
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Sorry, the setting is actually QuadBuffer (ID worked out a deal with Nvidia so this will work with normal GeForce cards):
http://3dvision-blog.com/tag/doom-3-bfg-edition/

You also have to set vsync on and the refresh to 120Hz. Hope that helps.
The_Nephilim
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by The_Nephilim »

ok thnx i set it to Quad Buffer.. now lwt me ask you I beleive you are familiar with my setup. I use 3 Sharp XR10X-L DLP Projectors which are NOT certified.. now will this still work on my system?? if it is MANDATORY that I MUST run 120Hz I will not be able to get this too work as I can ONLY goto 75hz refresh rate on the Projectors..

Also where do I set the HZ Rate in game or NCP??
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

To be honest, I don't have the game yet. I'm waiting to play it on my Rift. I am just rehashing stuff I've read online.
mkultra333
Cross Eyed!

Post by mkultra333 »

Search for "doom 3 3dvision" on google.

"In the case of 3D Vision, as already mentioned the game uses native stereoscopic 3D rendering and only the output goes through 3D Vision, so the normal hotkeys and controls will not work. You need to enable the Quad Buffer 3D mode from the game’s settings menu in order to activate the stereoscopic 3D rendering for 3D Vision (you should also have the latest 306.97 WHQL drivers installed), the level of depth is being controller also though the 3D Options menu in Settings by using the Viewing Offset slider. If you are having trouble activating the stereo 3D mode with 3D Vision make sure you are running the game at a resolution with 120Hz refresh rate and you have activated Vsync in the game settings. "

So make sure to select the 120hz refresh rates in the screen size options.

Edit: Sorry, other replies came in first.
The_Nephilim
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by The_Nephilim »

well since my system is NOT a Certified 120Hz 3D Projector I dont think this is gonna work..

I was wondering tho with the original Doom 3 will S3D work with the IZ3D Drivers and the glasses for it I think you can get at 3DTV??
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

DOOM 3 (any version) shouldn't work with the normal IZ3D driver since its OpenGL.

I know there was once a QuadBuffer version of the IZ3D driver, but I doubt you will be able to find that anymore (not even sure it it would work anyway).
The_Nephilim
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by The_Nephilim »

Hey Cyber I have a copy of Doom BFG and I am never gonna play it do you want it?? .Just think of it as my Christmas present to you for the help you gave me throughout the year.. ;)

it is the Steam version so how would I transfer the license too you??
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Thanks for the offer, but I am waiting to get my own version free with the Rift bundle. Thanks though.
CyberVillain
Petrif-Eyed

Post by CyberVillain »

I played DooM 3 BFG for the first time this weekend on my skigoggle modified HMZ-T1 (And I must admit that its the first time I REALLY play a game with the HMD, for several hours that is), and I must say its in my top 3 of stereoscopic games. Only BF3 and Source engine is as good (Atleast out of the box without helixmod etc).

I always loved Doom 3 (I cant understand the ones that do not like it) and its a perfect game in stereo, the only thing I do not like is that they changed so you can shoot and have the flashlight up at the same time. This removes some of the claustrophobic feeling of the original. That and the fact that the end product didn't end up with separate gun and head movement like Carmack advertised is the only downsides of this release, so if you havent picked it up do it!

Do you guys that have Nvidia 3d vision also have trouble with quad buffer? I have to go into the Nvidia 3d demo and then quick start Doom 3 to get it to understand that I want it to stay in 3d mode, if I just start Doom 3 i see both images and the Drivers/HMD does not understand that its 3d

Return to “S-3D Game Settings (NVIDIA GeForce 3D Vision)”