Reddot and scoped aming works with modern games/drivers?

Post your recommended stereoscopic 3D separation/convergence settings along with game performance recommendations.
CyberVillain
Petrif-Eyed

Reddot and scoped aming works with modern games/drivers?

Post by CyberVillain »

I havent played a game in stereo since I owned a pair of Eyescream glasses (For the 3dfx cards). I have a Sony HMZ coming in so im a have question, back then the problem was that games weren't written for stereoscopic viewing in mind so the crosshairs, scopes and reddots where rendered for botch eyes.

In reality you look through a scope with one eye, and the other eye is kept open to gain situational awerness (Im a hunter so im very used to this), but the games back then made this impossible because the crosshair was rendered for both eyes.. Worse was that if you closed one eye you would miss your target because of alignment error.. Is this fixed for modern drivers and games?

If not the gfx card and game industry must be retarded :D
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: Reddot and scoped aming works with modern games/drivers?

Post by cybereality »

Nvidia has a 3D crosshair, which renders the crosshair at the depth of the target (ie someones head) so it looks correct in 3D. IZ3D uses a left-shift / right-shift method, were the crosshair is only aligned in one eye so you have to close the other one to aim (realistic, yes, but annoying). Not sure how DDD handles it. So there is some progress, but still there is something to be desired.
CyberVillain
Petrif-Eyed

Post by CyberVillain »

Thanks for input!

You should not close one eye, keep tboth open.... Thats how you do it in reality... It takes some time getting used to but thats how every experienced hunter or soldier uses a scoped sight.

Anyway.. I can not understand why not the game developers have gotten this right yet... Dice, creators of Battlefield 3 (And Swedish like me so you think they should have gotten it right :D) writes this

http://blogs.battlefield.ea.com/battlef ... on-pc.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
We have added support for Stereoscopic 3D in the Frostbite 2 engine by rendering each frame twice (once for each eye). This gives us full control of how our game looks in 3D, and lets us create an even more visceral experience for the player.
So they admit that they have total control over whats being rendered, do you think they have implemented the reddot and scoped aiming that im talking about? NO! Oh the irony...

Im stumped that nothing has happened in the 15 years I've been away from Stereoscopic gaming...

So what nvidia really have achieved is a laser marker :D That is a joke :D No one uses a laser sight for more then a few feet away (Except in movies), i have it on my rifle in the event of a bear attack only (Ok, I admit it also makes it look cool)...
WiredEarp
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by WiredEarp »

Often you can set the game so the scope is perfect. As long you dont turn up the convergence/separation, set it so the gun is just in front of screen depth and you'll get some good results in many games.
You should not close one eye, keep tboth open.... Thats how you do it in reality... It takes some time getting used to but thats how every experienced hunter or soldier uses a scoped sight.
Not true, actually. I know experienced hunters who close one eye when shooting scoped rifles. Red dot reflex sights of course different due to the lack of magnification.

Nowadays its generally considered a good thing to learn with both eyes open, for the increased situational awareness and avoidance of muscle fatigue etc (closing one eye) but gross generalizations like that are almost always incorrect, due to them being gross generalizations. Unless of course, you can provide citations from every experienced hunter and soldier, confirming that's how they shoot...
CyberVillain
Petrif-Eyed

Post by CyberVillain »

WiredEarp wrote:Often you can set the game so the scope is perfect. As long you dont turn up the convergence/separation, set it so the gun is just in front of screen depth and you'll get some good results in many games.
Not true, actually. I know experienced hunters who close one eye when shooting scoped rifles. Red dot reflex sights of course different due to the lack of magnification.

Nowadays its generally considered a good thing to learn with both eyes open, for the increased situational awareness and avoidance of muscle fatigue etc (closing one eye) but gross generalizations like that are almost always incorrect, due to them being gross generalizations. Unless of course, you can provide citations from every experienced hunter and soldier, confirming that's how they shoot...
Well, its my own opinion, and I know that my fellows in my hunting party thinks the same, but thats a too small group to make a accurate assumption. But its still the way I wanna shoot, and I'm pissed the games does not support it, the noobs that close there eyes (My opinion :P) can still do that with my solutio (THey are just going to miss the extra information for the other eye) ... :D

The only reason i can come up with why Dice has left it out is for the same reason they have left out head tracking for freelook, there are always idiots online that will consider it cheating...
WiredEarp

Post by WiredEarp »

Haha yeah, I always feel the need to call people on generalizations, but I do agree that it sounds better to use both if you can. Having said that, I think I might find it difficult to shoot a rifle on my other shoulder with both eyes open, due to my dominant eye being in the wrong line. I use a tiny little reddot scope for paintball and love the speedy target acquisition for those first shot snipes.

Re aiming with one eye, both eyes, etc, this is where VR is going to KICK ASS! Because, we need a virtual gun, with a virtual scope, so you can put your virtual head on the virtual stock and look through with whatever eye you want, and have the virtual lense magnify that eyes view, just like in reality!!!! It cannot be underestimated just how much additional immersion you get with properly coded weaponry in VR (like in Dactyl Nightmare) that you can (for example) turn around and cap yourself in the head with, rather than it being stuck pointing in one direction (away from you). Its like having your hands in a VR, it adds a LOT to the 'real' feel.
CyberVillain
Petrif-Eyed

Post by CyberVillain »

That would be unreal! :D
But.... Most games does not even support head tracking, It will never happen that the game developers settle down on a common interface for this... Arma2 is probably the best game for FPS VR, but not even that game has absolute positioning on the yaw and pitch when aiming the weapon, it does have absolute positioning of the head when using TrackIR or Freetrack so its beyond me why they didnt made it possible to move the weapon/body absolute... I would love to do Perreyes gun mod, but since there is no games supporting it natively I think ill pass :/
WiredEarp

Post by WiredEarp »

Yeah, i'm not referring however to 'games' like PC games, as you say, they just don't support what we need. I'm talking about games designed and written for VR, such as Dactyl Nightmare. You won't really ever get a real VR experience out of gaming with current PC games... but you can have quite an immersive experience still. However, playing (for example) Left4Dead in VR is nothing compared to what it would be like if it was coded correctly for VR. Perhaps this is the market Sensics is trying to kick start, the VR arcade?
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Yep. "Games" could be so much more if developers really wanted to create a rich virtual experience and not just make another Call of Honor 839.
WiredEarp

Post by WiredEarp »

People will laugh SO hard the first time they blow off their own foot in COD:VR. :lol:
CyberVillain
Petrif-Eyed

Post by CyberVillain »

WiredEarp wrote:People will laugh SO hard the first time they blow off their own foot in COD:VR. :lol:
IF you could hook into the central nervesystem and the game sent the same pain as reality, would you die from shock? :D

Return to “S-3D Game Settings (NVIDIA GeForce 3D Vision)”