Silent Hill 2

Post your recommended stereoscopic 3D separation/convergence settings along with game performance recommendations.
Burbruee
One Eyed Hopeful

Silent Hill 2

Post by Burbruee »

First, I hope I'm posting in the right section. This section looks a bit dead so I hope it's okay to post here.

Just wanted to share these pictures of the great horror game Silent Hill 2, I tried this game during the weekend on my PC. After patching the .exe to make it render at 1920x1080 the game looks amazing. And it's perfect in S-3D!
This game is from 2001 or 2002 and looks great even today.

I'm using Nvidia 3D Vision with my LG Flatron W2363D.

I highly recommend playing this game in S-3D as it looks truly amazing. Though you may want to compensate for the brightness since the glasses make an already dark game even darker.
One thing I should mention is when I first tried the game it looked FLAT. Adjusting the depth slider with nvidia didn't help at all. But after adjusting the convergence (CTRL+F5/CTRL+F6 by default) the game looked great. :woot

(I uploaded this to the gallery first, before I realized I should just do attachments instead. I don't know if I can remove them from the gallery. Sorry!)

What do you think of the pictures?
Oh, and sorry about the fraps counter. I forgot to disable it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: Silent Hill 2

Post by cybereality »

Wow! The game looks amazing. Its held up very well. I might have to check this one out. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem that Silent Hill 3 works in 3D anymore (I think it might have at one point). I really did want to play that one, but SH2 is probably the best of the series. Also, I meant to give Homecoming a try. I know it got bad reviews, but I even liked that latest Alone in the Dark, so it doesn't take much to entertain me when it comes to survival horror.
Burbruee
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Burbruee »

cybereality wrote:Wow! The game looks amazing. Its held up very well. I might have to check this one out. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem that Silent Hill 3 works in 3D anymore (I think it might have at one point). I really did want to play that one, but SH2 is probably the best of the series. Also, I meant to give Homecoming a try. I know it got bad reviews, but I even liked that latest Alone in the Dark, so it doesn't take much to entertain me when it comes to survival horror.
Aye, it's a shame about Silent Hill 3, want to play that one myself. Looks like I'll have to do it without stereoscopic 3d. Though with recent nvidia drivers it at least renders now. Used to be just a black screen (more like a reaaaaally thick cloud) with the lens flare of the flashlight being the only thing shining through. Now you can play the game but with all sorts of graphical glitches/artifacts making it unplayable in 3D. (mostly on the right eye, left eye is almost good)

When I was on my CRT, 7800GT and eDims, I tried the old 3d drivers for XP which had a profile for Silent Hill 3 and the game played nicely without glitches. But at that time I didn't know you could change the convergence settings and much like Silent Hill 2 the game was just flat looking at first, would be interesting to try it again now that I know how to change convergence. Who knows though, maybe one day the game will work again with modern drivers but I can't say I have my hopes up.

About Homecoming I've been meaning to try it out as well, though I've heard mostly bad reviews about it. Most complaints seem to be about being more action oriented or recycling nurses and pyramid head which were originally tied to the Silent Hill 2 storyline. But I did however enjoy Resident Evil 5, though there were NO horror left after they packed so much action into it. The "survival horror" of the past games where you had to decide when to use your gun and when not to was gone. (because finding ammo was rare and made you really happy in the original games) The games today just throws ammo at you, feels like some infinite ammo code constantly being on.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

I, honestly, have been disappointed with the recent Resident Evil games. Not because they are bad, the games are great. But they are something else. Capcom should have just made a spin-off or a different game altogether. What happened to horror? What about puzzles? Its a real shame. I just finished Metro 2033, and I found that to be really nice. They are almost too cheap with the ammo, but it makes for some intense experiences. I also heard good things about Dead Space, haven't got a chance to play that yet.
Burbruee
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Burbruee »

Well I think Resident Evil (4 and 5) are great action games, but mediocre horror games. Like you just said, the horror and puzzles are no longer present. The remake on Gamecube will always be my favorite though. I've played a little bit of the first Dead Space and it's quite good actually. Though there are some issues with shadows when played with 3D Vision.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Kinda off-topic, but I still don't understand why they killed the whole adventure genre. All they make is action games now, no puzzles, no finding items (aside from bullets), no talking to characters. It really sucks. I mean, they don't even give you the Red Key, even the original DOOM had that.
artox
Cross Eyed!

Post by artox »

cyber, that's a pretty easy one, they just can't make a profit out of the adventure genre (it doesn't translate to consoles well), plus people seem to have stopped wanting to think. Sometimes I find that I also don't have the time and desire to spend long hours on a single game. Recently I've re-played all the myst games with a friend and it was great, but you know what happened to Cyan ( they almost went bust and are now doing anything to survive).
I've played a lot of quests and they just don't make such games anymore, yes Tellitale tries to do it with their revived Lucasarts games, but they just don't have the same feeling. There are still some attempts to revive the genre but they try to implement action sequences (heavy rain and fahrenheit, which is really great in s-3d if you have a 4:3 monitor). Btw if you like a nice horror game and in s-3d, you could test Darkness within 2, a new 3d-engine adventure game ( it works with 3dvision drivers, iz3d has terrible shadows problems and I haven't tested with DDD), but be sure to install the latest patch for additional settings. I haven't tested Call of Cthulhu recently, but it had awesome atmosphere. Cryostasis also is pretty close to being a good horror and s-3d game, except for the s-3d part :).
thisisnotmyrealname
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by thisisnotmyrealname »

cybereality wrote:Wow! The game looks amazing. Its held up very well. I might have to check this one out. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem that Silent Hill 3 works in 3D anymore (I think it might have at one point). I really did want to play that one, but SH2 is probably the best of the series. Also, I meant to give Homecoming a try. I know it got bad reviews, but I even liked that latest Alone in the Dark, so it doesn't take much to entertain me when it comes to survival horror.
I'm kinda a fanatic when it comes to Silent Hill and after I finally got past some of the issues I had with Homecoming, mainly lack of inverted y-axis, I wound up loving the game. I actually relearned how to play without an inverted y-axis just to be able to play the game. Homecoming has some of the most disturbing creatures in it, some of the better bosses, and I love the transition effects between worlds. It was the first game I got all the achievements for on 360, played through it 4 or 5 times, and I'm still very eager to get my hands on the steam version to replay it in 3D, currently it's $40 a bit too steep for a 4 year old game with a bad rep. :lol:
Burbruee wrote:Well I think Resident Evil (4 and 5) are great action games, but mediocre horror games. Like you just said, the horror and puzzles are no longer present. The remake on Gamecube will always be my favorite though. I've played a little bit of the first Dead Space and it's quite good actually. Though there are some issues with shadows when played with 3D Vision.
cybereality wrote:I, honestly, have been disappointed with the recent Resident Evil games. Not because they are bad, the games are great. But they are something else. Capcom should have just made a spin-off or a different game altogether. What happened to horror? What about puzzles? Its a real shame. I just finished Metro 2033, and I found that to be really nice. They are almost too cheap with the ammo, but it makes for some intense experiences. I also heard good things about Dead Space, haven't got a chance to play that yet.
I've played through both Dead Space and Dead Space 2 in 3D with the fixes from HelixMod, http://helixmod.wikispot.org/gamelist, and both of them are absolutely incredible in 3D with the fixes and properly tweaked convergence. :woot

I really liked Resident Evil 1, finished it, got bored with the series ... other than Dead Aim played with a GunCon2, went back to it with Resident Evil 4 and they had me right up until the part I had to babysit and they weren't "zombies" anymore. :lol:

I was going to play through the original Silent Hill again this weekend, looks like Silent Hill 2 in 3D may be in order instead.
eqzitara1
Cross Eyed!

Post by eqzitara1 »

I sent a pm to above poster, but for "scary themed" games. Helix also did Clive Barker's Jericho. I haven't played it but his image gallery really impressed me when I saw it. It looks awesome in 3d, though I know it got bad reviews *shrug*. His pictures were even put on 3dvisionlives editors pick for a while. I guess see gallery and see for yourself.
http://photos.3dvisionlive.com/HeliX666 ... 52e000101/
If you play it, be sure to leave a comment. I always feel bad that this game didnt get any lol(These games arent my cup of tea). Don't let me "pity" anyone into playing. Just if you do.
It always sucks when we do a "unpopular" game even though we love them.... Hunted: The demon's forge is one of my favorite games I did lol.

Yea, though. Dead Space 1 was awesome in 3d. I really want to play 2 but in Dead Space 1 I went into "death loops" cause I suck lol...

I actually LOVED RE4(on wii). I am thinking about getting my wii copy and trying to some 3D emulation with wii mote = )
RE5 is lame in 3D unless you use Chiri's Convergence Unlocker @ http://helixmod.blogspot.com/2012/06/ho ... ocked.html . RE5 was flatter then Deus Ex... It amazes me that got away with it. It was also the "big 3D Vision game". They were bundling it with monitors and putting all types of ads up.
I actually prefer RE4/5 over older ones. RE3 was a terrible game IMO.
thisisnotmyrealname
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by thisisnotmyrealname »

It's pretty bad when a simple hex edit put's the team behind Silent Hill HD Collection's visuals to shame. Unfortunately I couldn't simply use the Squ1zZy_Silent_Hill_2_Resolution_v1.0 patch because I'm running at an odd resolution, 1804x1014, on my DLP, to get the fullscreen 1:1 pixel ratio needed for 3D. Originally I edited the 640x480 resolution but it didn't work, then I noticed the lowest resolution in-game was 800x600, so I edited that instead and it worked like a charm. Now I just have to remap the controller to match the PS2 setup, find out how to get the sound out of stereo and into 5.1, settings won't stick, and how to get the rumble to work on my wireless 360 controller.

Return to “S-3D Game Settings (NVIDIA GeForce 3D Vision)”