Anything amazing on the horizon?

Post your recommended stereoscopic 3D separation/convergence settings along with game performance recommendations.
Crazymoe
One Eyed Hopeful

Anything amazing on the horizon?

Post by Crazymoe »

I am thinking about finally taking the plunge with a 120hz 23" monitor and the Nvidia 3D vision kit. However, given that there are some years now on the product I was wondering if anyone had heard anything about a new revision coming out in the next few months. Just didn't want to blow the cash if something new was about to release and would end up making the current model "obsolete".

Thanks!
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: Anything amazing on the horizon?

Post by cybereality »

Get this one, should be the best quality:
http://www.planaronline.com/product/?id=997-6161-00LF" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I don't know of anything better coming out soon or ever.
tritosine5G
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by tritosine5G »

wrong,fw900 wipes the floor with that
-Biased for 0 Gen HMD's to hell and back must be one hundred percent hell bent bias!
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Well there is also the 27" Acer, but its still similar quality to other 3D Vision monitors (just bigger):
http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=116&t=12682" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

tritosine wrote:wrong,fw900 wipes the floor with that
We are talking about next generation technology here, not antique collector's items.
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

The "antique" FW900 is better in any regard and by a large margin than this Planar monitor except one, the thickness of the display. It's still the best among 120 Hz LCD monitors, but that doesn't say much considering the awful ghosting this technology produces in stereo 3D.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Yeah, sure. And I bet 12" vinyl records have much better audio quality than the compressed MP3s they sell these days but I would not recommend to anyone to carry around a 15 pound record player in their backpack.
Last edited by cybereality on Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tritosine5G
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by tritosine5G »

planar monitor : can it play decent metro2033 ?

no

case closed
-Biased for 0 Gen HMD's to hell and back must be one hundred percent hell bent bias!
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

tritosine wrote:planar monitor : can it play decent metro2033 ?

no

case closed
Have you actually seen it?

Case closed.
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

cybereality wrote:Yeah, sure. And I bet 12" vinyl records have much better audio quality than the compressed MP3s they sell these days but I would not recommend to anyone to carry around a 15 pound record player in their backpack.
Many double-blind experiments have been conducted that show that MP3s encoded at 160-224 kbps don't differ from the original source, the same can also be said when comparing vinyl records to audio CDs.

So the comparison is not fair at all, I dare you to find any test showing that a good LCD screen is better than a good CRT screen when considering black levels, contrast ratios, input lag, viewing angle, colour rendition or ghosting.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Fredz wrote:I dare you to find any test showing that a good LCD screen is better than a good CRT screen when considering black levels, contrast ratios, input lag, viewing angle, colour rendition or ghosting.
I am not trying to say that LCD is better than CRT in regards to 3D. Sure, CRT is still probably better. But, for better or worse, CRT is irrelevant in 2011. They don't make them anymore, they don't sell them anymore (at least not on the consumer market). They are a relic of the past and are only of interest to antique collectors and historians. Its just not worth discussing them or bringing them up anymore, especially in response to someone considering the purchase of a 3D monitor. We need to be promoting current generation technology and supporting the companies that are producing this tech. Not living in the past curled up in some basement with a CRT monitor and some antique computer running Windows XP with a 7950 GTX card and the legacy Nvidia drivers. Its time to move on.
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

I only answered because you said that the Planar is the best quality monitor that can be found for stereo 3D, which is clearly not right. In this case as in many others, new doesn't mean better.

And if people keep on buying inferior quality products like 3D LCD monitors, manufacturers won't really have any incentive to produce something better. Fortunately the situation is different in the 3D TV market thanks to DLP and Plasma technologies, but it's a shame that the 3D monitor market is in such a sorry state.
Gae43
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Gae43 »

Not living in the past curled up in some basement with a CRT monitor and some antique computer running Windows XP with a 7950 GTX card and the legacy Nvidia drivers. Its time to move on.
Guilty yer honour. :D

There's one thing that has not been mentioned here though. Ugrades are relative to the size of your wallet too. It's not just about the technology...economic comes into play too. We'd all like the latest technological gadgets but the bills need paying first.

With that in mind..I'll stick with my CRT monitor, Infocus X1 and Geforce 8400 GS on Win XP. I might have no disposable income, but I can still enjoy 3D on my "antiquated" system. :lol:

Gae43
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

No new setups plays goodies like doom3, quake4, tombraider 2 etc. A good piece of history is lost during the idiotic "upgrade and throw away" hysteria. :(
I don't mind upgrading my setup but first i at least need to be tempted. There are always stuffs coming into the way for a good setup today like compabilityissues, qualityissues or insanely high prices... It's amazing that plenty of old-school gamers with stoneaged setups still have better imagequality, compability, you name whatever more than the ones offered in stores...
I wonder if they do it on purpose: Starting all over again offering the first wave pure crap and then "develop" the products to be better a few nods every year to make people upgrading more than they usually would do... I'm just joking of course but sometimes... :(
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
tritosine5G
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by tritosine5G »

i just bought a 4:3 diamondtron cuz I saw some borderlands screenshots . It has BNC in's it was like 20 eur.

Return to “S-3D Game Settings (NVIDIA GeForce 3D Vision)”