GTX580 + Half Life 2 Low Power State

Post your recommended stereoscopic 3D separation/convergence settings along with game performance recommendations.
ViruzZ
Two Eyed Hopeful

GTX580 + Half Life 2 Low Power State

Post by ViruzZ »

Hi,
I have a strange issue.

For some reason when i enable 3D in Half Life 2 (with cinematic mod) the power state switches to middle aka 405Mhz instead of the full 772MHz
the moment i disable 3D everything back to normal.
Also the fps drops i more then logical, in 2D and 772Mhz i get everywhere from 120FPS to 300FPS
When i enable 3D and the GPU speed drops to 405Mhz, i get 10FPS :o

I tested Fallout New Vegas and some other games and they work fine.

P.S. I have a Logitech G15 Keyboard (the one with LCD screen) and MSI afterburner to monitor the GPU

Thanks
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: GTX580 + Half Life 2 Low Power State

Post by cybereality »

Hmm, weird. I just loaded up HL2 to test this on my GTX 470 and I am getting pretty crappy framerates here too. In 2D I am easily getting around 200fps average, I think 298fps is the max no matter what, and going down to like 120fps in a heavy scene. However in 3D I am just barely getting 30fps average. I think it hits around 50fps max and as low as 15fps in certain parts (even if nothing is going on). This makes no sense. I can get like 80fps in Metro 2033 in 3D, now way HL2 is anywhere near as intense. I even tried setting everything to low quality and it didn't make a difference. Something is wrong. I clearly recall playing HL2 on my old computer and I got better performance than this in 3D. WTF?!?!?
ViruzZ
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by ViruzZ »

cybereality wrote:Hmm, weird. I just loaded up HL2 to test this on my GTX 470 and I am getting pretty crappy framerates here too. In 2D I am easily getting around 200fps average, I think 298fps is the max no matter what, and going down to like 120fps in a heavy scene. However in 3D I am just barely getting 30fps average. I think it hits around 50fps max and as low as 15fps in certain parts (even if nothing is going on). This makes no sense. I can get like 80fps in Metro 2033 in 3D, now way HL2 is anywhere near as intense. I even tried setting everything to low quality and it didn't make a difference. Something is wrong. I clearly recall playing HL2 on my old computer and I got better performance than this in 3D. WTF?!?!?
Maybe its the driver issue? I suspect the 3D driver, since its works fine in 2D.
And in my case its even worse 10FPS.
You should install MSI Afterburner and enable all the Monitoring features and in setting choose to show them on the screen.
When you run the game you will see how it works and if your power state lowers when you enable 3D.

P.S. How you can get 80FPS in metro and in 3D? did you lower all the settings?
Last time i checked this game on GTX580 1920x1200 AAA enabled, Physx Disabled DX11 = 33FPS in 2D
And this is serious benchmark PC
http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-570-review/16" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Oh yes, in Metro 2033 I had to put the settings on all low, Directx9, DoF off, PhysX off. But, hey, it still looks great and its smooth as hell. And I would argue that in 3D you don't need as many fancy effects just to try to make a 2D game look more 3D.

So I tried HL2 using the MSI Afterburner (which I guess is the same as EVGA Precision). It shows a steady 625MHz, which is the max core clock speed for my card. Enabling/disabling 3D had no effect. So its possible that issue may be specific to your card. However I am still getting the really bad framerates, although they are still somewhat playable. But for such an old game this kind of performance is unacceptable.
tritosine5G
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by tritosine5G »

the 10 fps is because nvidia crosshair, press ctrl+f12

that steady 625 mhz can be overclocked to 800-850.
-Biased for 0 Gen HMD's to hell and back must be one hundred percent hell bent bias!

Return to “S-3D Game Settings (NVIDIA GeForce 3D Vision)”