Patrick Naud, Executive Producer, Avatar: The Game (on MTBS)

Respond to the movers and shakers by making THEM move and shake!
Neil
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Patrick Naud, Executive Producer, Avatar: The Game (on MTBS)

Post by Neil »

Check out our exclusive interview with Patrick Naud, Executive Producer of Avatar: The Game!

Working out of Ubisoft's Montreal offices, Patrick is heading up the challenge of creating the Avatar video game.

Do you agree that a customized stereoscopic 3D game will be significantly different from a driver based S-3D experience? How so?

Share your thoughts!

Regards,
Neil
Okta
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Re: Patrick Naud, Executive Producer, Avatar: The Game (on MTBS)

Post by Okta »

I'm not understanding what is meant by "native support" in the game. Does this mean that the game has been built to make sure nothing looks messed up when 3d is activated as the interview implies? If this is the case then i am not impressed.
Or that the game itself will support ALL 3d hardware without the need for drivers as i had imagined (although this will never happen).
"I did not chip in ten grand to seed a first investment round to build value for a Facebook acquisition."
Notch on the FaceDisgrace buyout.
Neil

Post by Neil »

Native support meaning driver free stereoscopic 3D support. Official hardware support listings are not available yet.

Regards,
Neil
koshien
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by koshien »

Nice interview!
I am very excited about this game... but I will play it only after having watched the movie (not to spoiler Pandora too much...I am actually trying not to read news about AVATAR anymore) :)
My notebook finally broke, and another notebook in my house will be gone by the end of the year, for other reasons... I am definitely going to make my parents replace it with a S-3D solution by the end of 2009!....yes, still a student with no job :mrgreen:
In the end, I will get to play modern S-3D, with a native S-3D game...can´t wait!
Also...how about Assassin´s Creed 3 in S-3D?! :wink: 50 dollars on that :wink:
budda
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by budda »

Hi,

Heres an idea for native stereo for Avatar.

Include an XP button with pageflipped vga output.

Sure, you may have to strip out some code to make it work in DX9, but I can assure you, there will be alot of positive buzz from old school S3D users with their "legacy" machines.

If you set a good example with the implementation, then other games producers may be encouraged to do the same.

Hell .... I would even pay more for an XP compatible version of Avatar than a Vista + (ahem ...Nvidia 3DVision) version.

Thanks.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Very nice interview. I will be purchasing this game on day one (although I think I am going to wait until after I see the movie to play it). That one screenshot posted looks very nice, kinda has a Crysis sort of feel to it. I think it will look really cool in 3D. Hope its successful and Ubisoft decides to use the technology on other games.
Okta
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by Okta »

Neil wrote:Native support meaning driver free stereoscopic 3D support. Official hardware support listings are not available yet.

Regards,
Neil
This will be the tricky bit. Selective s3d hardware support will most likely only be written for the latest trendy 3d solutions or who evers hardware the developers are in bed with. Lets say Avatar has support only for Iz3d or Nvidia vision because a brown paper bag full of money changed hands.
Perhaps the unsupported group can still use their normal 3d driver to play, but this then means zero native support and maybe the extra 3d compatabilty in the game wont be present. Or maybe worse, the game developer cripples the games for unsupported hardware.

This can accelerate the already present marketing hype over widely compatible hardware solutions and seeing us have to chop and change with the latest game/os/driver as with Nvidia Vision.

Native support is great but wrappers should not be dismissed as the poor cousin.
"I did not chip in ten grand to seed a first investment round to build value for a Facebook acquisition."
Notch on the FaceDisgrace buyout.
v3n
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by v3n »

Im really looking forward to this, its going to be a stepping stone for the future of gaming :D
nV 7900 GTO + ED Wired Glasses onto 22" CRT using XP
cirk2
Certif-Eyed!

Post by cirk2 »

Okta wrote: This will be the tricky bit. Selective s3d hardware support will most likely only be written for the latest trendy 3d solutions or who evers hardware the developers are in bed with. Lets say Avatar has support only for Iz3d or Nvidia vision because a brown paper bag full of money changed hands.
Perhaps the unsupported group can still use their normal 3d driver to play, but this then means zero native support and maybe the extra 3d compatabilty in the game wont be present. Or maybe worse, the game developer cripples the games for unsupported hardware.

This can accelerate the already present marketing hype over widely compatible hardware solutions and seeing us have to chop and change with the latest game/os/driver as with Nvidia Vision.

Native support is great but wrappers should not be dismissed as the poor cousin.

Shutter (Field and Linesequential), Nvision, Interlanced, DLP, Dualoutput and IZ3D... Not that much to cover the most Settings... At least Nvision, interlanced and DLP will be implemented (DLP and Interlanced for the TVs and Nvision for PC)...
rocksparow
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: Patrick Naud, Executive Producer, Avatar: The Game (on M

Post by rocksparow »

These interview is really nice there are lots things which is good. I will be purchasing this game on day one (although I think I am going to wait until after I see the movie to play it). That one screenshot posted looks very nice, kinda has a Crysis sort of feel to it.

Return to “MTBS Interview User Remarks”