MTBS Interviews Andrew Oliver, Blitz Games Studios

Respond to the movers and shakers by making THEM move and shake!
Neil
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

MTBS Interviews Andrew Oliver, Blitz Games Studios

Post by Neil »

Blitz Games Studios has taken credit for being the first to produce and demonstrate stereoscopic 3D games on XBOX and PS3 consoles.

Your thoughts?

Regards,
Neil
staticbuddha
Cross Eyed!

Re: MTBS Interviews Andrew Oliver, Blitz Games Studios

Post by staticbuddha »

great news, I cant wait to play games on the 360 in 3D :)

- I wonder when they are looking at doing this,

and he said it was near impossible to to full games, I wonder if they ar ejust aming at the Arcade games, either way another step closer to 3D gaming for consoles

- I agree though I hope develpors dont make crappy games just to have 3D in them, abit like the WII makeing a million of the same games,
ssiu
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by ssiu »

What S-3D games did they actually demo? (arcade, shooter, puzzle, ... ?) What S-3D display and what display methods (page-flip, row-interlace, checkerboard ...)? What TV is in that picture?
Neil

Post by Neil »

There were legal restrictions on what could be photographed. The game wasn't even named yet, but it was a third person martial arts type game. Very impressive looking!

They were showing it on a couple of DLP solutions.

Regards,
Neil
Anthony1
Cross Eyed!

Post by Anthony1 »

Did they give any kind of indication as to when their first S-3D game on the 360 or PS3 will be available? Is this something we might see sometime in 2009?

Any idea as to which platform it would likely be on first? Xbox 360 or PS3?

You probably aren't at liberty to answer any of these questions, even if you do know the answers, but I figured I'd throw them out there anyways.

Obviously the key fact that was shared is that these games need to be 1080p and 60 frames per second, and that they will likely be Xbox Live Arcade games, or PSN (Playstation Network Games), rather than full fledged retail releases. This doesn't suprise me too much, when you consider that when you run a modern day game in S-3D on a state of the art gaming rig, the framerate drops so dramatically, that you would wonder how these consoles could attempt to get close to that performance with much more limited specifications. This is why they will most likely make more simple type games that are suitable to XBLA and PSN.

Another big question, is what exactly has Microsoft and Sony had to say about all of this? I mean, Blitz games can have whatever technology they want, but wouldn't the Xbox 360 and PS3 have to have some kind of firmware update to allow this, even for simple downloadable games? I wonder if Microsoft and Sony are really "on board" with this so to speak? If Blitz truly plans to release one of these games in the near future (sometime in 2009), then I'm guessing Microsoft and Sony would have to already have signed on with them, in terms of future firmware support for this.

It's all very interesting. I'm guessing much more about this will be revealed during the next e3 which I think is in June 2009.
martinlandau
Certif-Eyed!

Post by martinlandau »

I read about new ways to make 3D photos and there is neil standing there with that cool blitz guy in a 2d picture on the premier 3d website and all my luddite friends keep laughing at him that he is more lame than them ;)
The futures so bright, I gotta wear shades!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDdI_sfNop8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Neil

Post by Neil »

I have to get to bed after a long day's work (EST hours). If you can get a good Photoform's 2D/3D translation going, I'm happy to post it! :P

Are you up to the challenge?

Regards,
Neil
Tril
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Tril »

Anthony1 wrote:Another big question, is what exactly has Microsoft and Sony had to say about all of this? I mean, Blitz games can have whatever technology they want, but wouldn't the Xbox 360 and PS3 have to have some kind of firmware update to allow this, even for simple downloadable games? I wonder if Microsoft and Sony are really "on board" with this so to speak? If Blitz truly plans to release one of these games in the near future (sometime in 2009), then I'm guessing Microsoft and Sony would have to already have signed on with them, in terms of future firmware support for this.

It's all very interesting. I'm guessing much more about this will be revealed during the next e3 which I think is in June 2009.
I don't see why they would need special firmware on the Xbox 360. It can already output 1080p through HDMI. It's only up to the developer to add support in their game engine.
CPU : Intel i7-7700K
RAM : 32 GB ram
Video card : GeForce GTX 980 Ti
Display : Samsung UN40JU7500 Curved 40-Inch UHD TV with shutter glasses
HMD : Oculus Rift

Anthony1
Cross Eyed!

Post by Anthony1 »

So, you're saying that you woud just go into the games menu and turn the 3D mode on, and that would be it? The console itself wouldn't need any kind of special firmware update, or anything?

I was thinking that you would have to go into the consoles dashboard, and turn on the "3D mode", and then when playing the 3D enabled game, you would also have to go into an in-game menu and activate it as well. You think it would just need to be activated via an in-game menu and no firmware update or anything special from Microsoft or Sony's end would be required?
CarlKenner

Post by CarlKenner »

Checkerboard and interlaced formats require the game to render in the monitor's native resolution. So if a game developer wants to render in 3D on those monitors, the only thing that need from the console is the ability to render in that resolution (which varies depending on the monitor) and output digitally to the monitor.

But if a monitor requires dual outputs, like iZ3D or TDVision, then that is obviously harder to do on consoles.

Other output formats, like side-by-side, over-under, anaglyph, parallel or crosseyed, chromadepth, SIRDS, and possibly page flipped, will work fine on any console, and don't have any major requirements.

Of course only the final result has to be 1080p. You could render your game in whatever resolution you want, and then the final pixel shader produces the 1080p checkerboard image from the two low resolution images.
Copy this code to clipboard: 0o1rp5zk then go to http://mtbs3d.com/naw to register. Use the code for $5000 startup bonus, and to support Gaza.
koshien

Post by koshien »

Nice interview :)
I see the challenge developers are facing.... I'm curious also about the "Avatar" project from Ubisoft....that shouldn't be a PSN or Live Arcade game...
If we are seeing s-3d content coming out this console gen, it will probably be the standard by next gen... very good! Meanwhile I might start to be a pc gamer... 8)
I hope Trioviz has done a good job too... the Blu-ray Dic Association might want to add that technology to the blu-ray 3D standard profile, together with a "high-end" s-3D version of the movie...

Return to “MTBS Interview User Remarks”