Large screen 3D gaming monitor setup(more than 27 inches)

Don't know the first thing about S-3D? Just bought your first pair of 3D glasses? Trying to figure out what to buy? Post HERE!
narasimhan
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: Large screen 3D gaming monitor setup(more than 27 inches

Post by narasimhan »

A few of my close friends have raised apprehensions about 3D tech. So I want to clarify certain points.
1. Can you clearly see the difference between 2D and 3D gaming(like when you compare 2D with 3D it should be :woot )? I don't want to end up buying something expensive and not feeling the difference. I know I should have asked this first but I just took it for granted that 3D will be cool and awesome. But it is never late to ask and get clarified.

2. Do you feel comfortable wearing the battery powered heavy glasses? Like do you get headache after an hr or so etc? I have corrective spectacles. Though I am alright wearing 3D glasses over my spectacles in theatres I just want to confirm since these(active glasses) are heavier than the ones in theatres. This will play a major role in my decision.

And I am going to order it based on your comments only since I don't have any access to these to try them out. So I depend entirely on reviews and comments.

And any news on upcoming large 3D monitors?
Dom
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Dom »

Hi, sorry if it seems like the same old people talking to you about 3d but I wanted to tell you what I think of it mostly.

Most and all of the 3d in pc games and movies are 2d similar, which from what I see they look like you might as well watch and view it in 2d without 3dglasses. I guess it could depend on if you can converge your eyes good enough but not really and its that the software drivers have been made to reduce eye and brain fatigue but the offset is that the 3d is pretty well boring. I only use my 3d stuff on with glasses maybe once a month sometimes less depending on if theres anything really worthwhile viewing. So I would not get to excited about 3d as it now since you have your worlds doctors making the rules and not putting it better to see holograms stereoscopic glasses 3d.

The powered lcd glasses are ok I guess since I can watch a movie with maybe a 15 minute break. Playing games with them on I usually will stop using them after 45 minutes. It would be different if the 3d was better though. But i'd just take a 15 minute break every 45 minutes. The weight does kinda suck to and I can't wait for autostereoscopic.

Also you can get yourself some red/cyan glasses and play some games with DDD driver or iz3d and see how you like it. Its pretty much the same just with lcd it will be easier on your eyes.
http://www.cns-nynolyt.com/files/doms-systemspecs.html My System specs In HTML

Cyberia on Youtube

__________________________________________________________________________________________
narasimhan
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by narasimhan »

Well thanks for the reply. Its sad to hear that the 3D is not too exiting. By your experience I feel my interest in 3D will fade away after a few weeks of using it.

But the red/cyan glass is something new to me(don't know how I missed it) and I'll certainly try it out. Thanks a lot for bringing it up.
So do you mean this method will work in my current rig(HD 4870 1GB and samsung 22inch LCD 2233sw monitor).
Will these glasses work(http://www.3dglassesreport.com/anaglyph ... d-glasses/) or should I buy something else?
Dom
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Dom »

Yes using DDD or iz3d drivers in anaglyph red/cyan you can use your current setup. I think they are free to use in anaglyph mode. Cybereality usually recommends the anaglyph pro-anna glasses. Those you linked to should work too and I ordered three pairs from china for a total of 5 bucks free shipping and they worked too, from e-bay.

http://www.3dstereo.com/viewmaster/gla-proa.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; pro ana
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Pairs-Red-Cya ... 1e6364b2e5" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; similar to what i got

Cyberia on Youtube

__________________________________________________________________________________________
narasimhan
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by narasimhan »

Thanks. Since I live in India the pro-ana glass requires $9-15 for shipping. So can I buy the nvidia glasses that I said in my previous post?
And what games can I try?
I guess all the 3D movies will work with this method right?
Dom
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Dom »

Yes you are correct, you can use those glasses you showed. I think you can play pretty much any game in 3d with iz3d or ddd drivers. You won't be able to use the nvidia 3d vision discover mode unless you have an nvidia gfx card, a new one.

Movies will work too you just need to get a stereo movie player like "Sview" which is free or "Stereoscopic player".

Cyberia on Youtube

narasimhan
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by narasimhan »

Is this glass http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Pairs-Red-Cya ... 1e6364b2e5 that you suggested better than the nvidia glass(in my previous post)?
Dom
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Dom »

I don't think either is better. As long as your protective of them i guess and the 3d will show on any pair of red/cyan glasses.

Cyberia on Youtube

narasimhan
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by narasimhan »

Thanks I'll buy the locally available nvidia then.
narasimhan
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by narasimhan »

Well I was not too impressed with the 3D effects of the red-cyan. So I decided to wait for a yr or two before investing. For now I decided to buy a 32 inch monitor(since I feel my 22 inch is small). After searching I find that even 32inch normal monitors are not available(more than 30 inch monitors). No wonder I couldn't find 32 inch 3D monitors :) . First of all there are no 32 inch HD monitors. The max is 30 inch. Now I have no other choice but to buy 32 inch HDTV as monitor.
Libertine
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Libertine »

"Most and all of the 3d in pc games and movies are 2d similar, which from what I see they look like you might as well watch and view it in 2d without 3dglasses."

I think he meant, well, i don't know what he meant, but i think he meant that 3D movies don't have much 3D depth to them. ...and thats certainly my experience, but they're getting better.

I think gaming on a big screen is great and i use a 46" Sony from under a meter away.

The drawbacks are input lag on some models, with it being generally higher with current models, limitation to 1280x720 (720p) due to current HDMI limitations and a lack of AA support (at least with Nivida you can't enable AA through the control panel) and low ppi.

The benefit is greater FoV. Also it being at the back edge of the desk frees up desk space. It also might be easier on the eyes since the lenses in your eyes are at rest when focued further out, thus moving it away *might* have solved some blurring problems i've had in the past using a monitor closer up, but it could also be the 3D use? This 3DTV has better blacks, motion resolution, clarity, brightness than my last monitor, the 30" 2560x1600 Dell and i prefer it for gaming as long as its in 3D. It also nice to lay back on the couch or lean back in the chair and maintain a nice physical FoV when watching Neflix or youtube videos.
narasimhan
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by narasimhan »

Thanks for your views. I saw a few scenes of avatar anaglyph 3D and its really good even with red-cyan glasses. I think 3D is also dependent on how the movie/game makers effectively use it. Smurfs anaglyph 3D didn't even look much like 3D but avatar is strikingly different. I'll wait for a yr till full HD(1080p) 3D or 4k 3D gets released. For now I've decided to buy a 32 inch full HD TV as monitor and save the rest for next yrs big 3D purchase.
Guig2000
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Guig2000 »

narasimhan wrote:If DVI(dual link cable) can support 1920x1200 @ 120hz, I don't see any barriers to produce larger 3D monitors(more than 27 inches).
Whatever be the size of the monitor I am content with 3D gaming at 1920x1080(or 1920x1200).
What I need is a larger size monitor that supports 3D with full HD. Can I expect any releases before April?
I calculated some time ago that DVI dual link and HDMI (10Gb/s transfer rate; 7.92 Gb/s real data rate ) could allow to display 330 Mpixels per second @24bit, meaning 5.5Mpxel pictures@60Hz/24bit (3126*1758 or 2966*1854), 2.75Mpx pictures @120Hz/24bit (2097*1311 or 2211*1243).

Only display port allow bigger resolution, with it's double bandwidth (21.6Gb/s transfer rate, 17.28Gb/s real data rate): 720Mpixels/seconds @24bit --> 12Mpx @60Hz24bit --> 4381*2738; 6Mpx@120Hz24bit --> 3098*1936.

Practically only radeons HD7000 allow more than 2500*1600 over display port or HDMI. Official specs are:
http://www.amd.com/fr/products/desktop/ ... 970.aspx#3
4096x2160 @60Hz and 2560x1600p60 Stereoscopic 3D for the display ports;
over HDMI: 4096x2160 (no frequency specified, but should be 30Hz or 24Hz) and 1080p60 Stereoscopic 3D.

Now that the graphic card exist we can have more hope for a very high res S3D screen to be released on the market.
narasimhan
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by narasimhan »

thanks for the info. Lets wait and see

Return to “I'm New To Stereoscopic 3D!”