SBS 3D resolution?

Don't know the first thing about S-3D? Just bought your first pair of 3D glasses? Trying to figure out what to buy? Post HERE!
saucercrab
One Eyed Hopeful

SBS 3D resolution?

Post by saucercrab »

Hey all,

I've just been chipping away at some projects and seem to forget everything I learned once every couple of months...

Simple question hopefully: I'm trying to create a SBS 3D mp4 to view on an old pair of Vuzix 920s. The glasses are said to have a native resolution of 640x480. Do I output the entire mp4 (divided down the middle) in 640x480 or do I output the mp4 in 1280x480, so that each side of the image is then 640x480?

Resolution has always confused me... thanks for any help and I'm sorry if I overlooked any information pertaining to this. :)
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: SBS 3D resolution?

Post by cybereality »

It doesn't really matter either way. With an app like the Stereoscopic Player, you can set it to use basically any resolution or aspect ratio.

However, typically the format is half horizontal resolution (squished) as this is what 3DTVs use. So if the original video was (for example) 1280x720 for each eye you would make whole video also 1280x720, but each eye would be 640x720. It's better to use 720P, even on a VGA headset, as the quality will be maintained. If you processed the video to be 640x480, then each eye would only be 320x480 and look low quality and blurry.
saucercrab
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: SBS 3D resolution?

Post by saucercrab »

Thank you very much for the reply!

I've worked with the Vuzix before, but they're not in my hands right now and I wasn't able to simply test the different formats. This will save me a lot of time sending files back and forth to the recipient - much appreciated!

Return to “I'm New To Stereoscopic 3D!”