Help me find a stereoscopic video card for...Windows XP!

Don't know the first thing about S-3D? Just bought your first pair of 3D glasses? Trying to figure out what to buy? Post HERE!
simplecarnival
One Eyed Hopeful

Help me find a stereoscopic video card for...Windows XP!

Post by simplecarnival »

It's a long, convoluted story, but it boils down to this: I'd like to dedicate an old Windows XP machine for Stereoscopic Player. I need a decent video card that I can use for this machine. There's a couple catches:

* I want something which will use a good stereoscopic driver. I've never been able to get Stereoscopic Player's page flipping to work reliably. I have had success -- on other computers -- with the NVIDIA stereo driver and the appropriate hardware.

* Stereoscopic drivers must be available for Windows XP (32-bit). I have an extra NVIDIA GeForce 210 card which works well on Vista and Windows 7. However, it appears that NVIDIA's XP drivers do not have a NVIDIA stereoscopic driver.

* The card must run the stereoscopic playback through the SVGA output. I have a NVIDIA GeForce 580 on a Windows 7 machine, which can indeed play back stereoscopic material...through the DVI output only. If I try to convert the DVI output to a SVGA output, the drivers say, "Nope, forget it" and the NVIDIA drivers switch over to outputting the signal in anaglyph.

So basically...who here successfully uses a stereoscopic video card on Windows XP with a SVGA output, and what video card are you using?

Thanks!
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: Help me find a stereoscopic video card for...Windows XP!

Post by cybereality »

My advice would be to stick to a modern system, Windows 7 64-bit, and get modern equipment. Your life will be better.

However, if you insist on using ancient computer parts, the newest card you can get is an Nvidia 7800. I have heard conflicting reports as to whether the 7900 model works in stereo.

You'll also need a very old Nvidia driver, I believe 91.31 was a good choice.
simplecarnival
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: Help me find a stereoscopic video card for...Windows XP!

Post by simplecarnival »

cybereality wrote:My advice would be to stick to a modern system, Windows 7 64-bit, and get modern equipment. Your life will be better.

However, if you insist on using ancient computer parts, the newest card you can get is an Nvidia 7800. I have heard conflicting reports as to whether the 7900 model works in stereo.

You'll also need a very old Nvidia driver, I believe 91.31 was a good choice.
Thanks for the info, cybereality. Actually, since I posted this, I realized that I forgot that I have the iZ3D driver, which, from my limited testing a couple years ago, seems to work well with Stereoscopic Player. So I probably won't need to buy a new video card after all; I can probably use the GeForce 210 on the XP machine, install the iZ3D drivers, then run Stereoscopic Player on top of that. I'm pretty sure it'll work.

Return to “I'm New To Stereoscopic 3D!”