HEADPLAY short review!!

warlockboyburns
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: HEADPLAY short review!!

Post by warlockboyburns »

you could use a gyration mouse and a wiiremote with your headplay and get 360 degree hand tracking which is quite satisfying
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

Guys - i do not have the nvidia card supporting 3D so 3D aspect is not of interest to me at the moment

I wonder if this will support Acer 3D laptops or Asus 3d laptops just launched as nvidia 3d card old versions are very hard to find...

Now please let me know for the movies from SD card / DVDs
How's

1)the image size in layman terms [like 2ft abt the same distance as from the laptop]?

2)the image quality [brightness/contrast/color/sharpness etc] ?

3)Any image distortions/blurring anywhere if observed.. ?

4)can these be recommended for movie watching from DVd players / Sd cards

5)Does this support Divx/Xvid AVIs stored on SD cards etc ?

6)can these be used for watching movies for very long time ?

7)Can they cause eyestrain on long time viewing of movies.. ?

I really wanted to get this but not too sure as 3d aspect is not my priority at the moment but these are the only ones supporting 800x600 natively within US $0.5k range

any suggestions most welcome..

thank you
Okta
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by Okta »

ancjob wrote:Guys - i do not have the nvidia card supporting 3D so 3D aspect is not of interest to me at the moment

I wonder if this will support Acer 3D laptops or Asus 3d laptops just launched as nvidia 3d card old versions are very hard to find...

Now please let me know for the movies from SD card / DVDs
How's

1)the image size in layman terms [like 2ft abt the same distance as from the laptop]?

2)the image quality [brightness/contrast/color/sharpness etc] ?

3)Any image distortions/blurring anywhere if observed.. ?

4)can these be recommended for movie watching from DVd players / Sd cards

5)Does this support Divx/Xvid AVIs stored on SD cards etc ?

6)can these be used for watching movies for very long time ?

7)Can they cause eyestrain on long time viewing of movies.. ?

I really wanted to get this but not too sure as 3d aspect is not my priority at the moment but these are the only ones supporting 800x600 natively within US $0.5k range

any suggestions most welcome..

thank you
Ok it was a while since i sold it now but let me have a go at answering best i can.

1) 19inch monitor from 1.5-2 feet?

2) Brightness is ok if you can keep the elnses centre on your eyes which you tend to wrestle with a lot while wearing them. The sharpness i found i could never get just right. Colours were a little washed but ok.

3) No major image distortion.

4) You can watch movies ok but they did strain my eyes, i dont think this is the case with everyone.

5) From memory i did watch some divx from the usb but some files didnt work. At worst you can run another input from pc. I dont think it would hack 720p.

6+7) It may depend on you, teh focus is adjustable but i had a little eye strain.

Being that these things are going for $350 US on ebay now they are a decent buy.
"I did not chip in ten grand to seed a first investment round to build value for a Facebook acquisition."
Notch on the FaceDisgrace buyout.
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

thank you Okta for your observations
Headplay is really nice within US 0.4k but the bulky liberater is a major turn off
also i have heard that there are some issues with Pal playback / streaming..
they got some fix something..
also that they do not support headplay anymore..somebody told
so kinda in a fix..
Currently i wanna spend on really good HMDs[800x600 native resolution]
i came across vrealities.com thru internet search

I am amazed that majority of thier HMDs are 800x600
Based on my budget i figured out the following
1) http://www.vrealities.com/virtualvisor.html
2) http://www.vrealities.com/i-cinehr.html

3) http://www.vrealities.com/virtualviewer3d.html
4) http://www.vrealities.com/i-trek3dpc.html

For 1) and 2) there are a couple of reviews on amazon usa but not much to be confident regd..

and for 3) and 4) no reviews anywhere but the specs are really nice..

their tech support does not reply at all to the queries

hope somebody has tried them to suggest regd the above..

is Virtual Realities Inc - a good site to order from ?
Has anybody ordered from them ...?
do they really honor their warranties they commit to ?

so keeping my fingers crossed
Okta

Post by Okta »

Those things look ok but they offer 35 degree FOV so probably same or smaller than the headplay and offer the same stereo support.

You are probably better off to a VR920 or headplay if you dont want to go the emagin z800 for slightly bigger fov.
"I did not chip in ten grand to seed a first investment round to build value for a Facebook acquisition."
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

thank you Okta
Headplay has 34 FOV the and offers 56' @6' ,VR920 more or less and totally laptop product..

so explains 17-19' screen-size for 2' [headply]as explained by you

But these below have 85' @ 5' with 35 fov so i expect around 34-35' @ 2 ft'' for these
I am amazed that majority of HMDs are 800x600
Based on my budget i figured out the following
1) http://www.vrealities.com/virtualvisor.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2) http://www.vrealities.com/i-cinehr.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

3) http://www.vrealities.com/virtualviewer3d.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
4) http://www.vrealities.com/i-trek3dpc.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Only want that somebody who 'd review above and oblige ...
also if the site is really good to order from directly and do they really honor their warranties..
Okta

Post by Okta »

ancjob wrote:thank you Okta
Headplay has 34 FOV the and offers 56' @6' ,VR920 more or less and totally laptop product..

so explains 17-19' screen-size for 2' [headply]as explained by you

But these below have 85' @ 5' with 35 fov so i expect around 34-35' @ 2 ft'' for these
Notice in those figures the FOV is about the same? That means someone is lying about the screen size@distance.
PalmerTech

Post by PalmerTech »

That site is lying. Notice how some HMDs claim 85" at 5', some 80" at 5', yet they both have the same 35 degree field of view listed? I think they are full of poop.

That said, if anyone has a headplay they want to get rid of, let me know. I would be tearing it down and documenting it with high res photos, and would also explore upgrade options.

EDIT: Also, general rule of thumb: If a site looks shady, send them a message seriously asking about a product. If they do not respond... Be worried. It looks like you already tried that, and to be honest, if they will not help you BEFORE you give them your money, why would they be motivated to help you after they already have it?
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

The site may not be lying as FOV is the same - may be the focal distance has to do with it
which is what i am unsure--
if the VR guys are saying 95% truth then i will get more of their HMDs...
As 34' @ 2' [laptop viewing distance] are not available for under 700k
Even z800 does not do 34'@2' [laptop viewing distance]...correct me if am wrong guys...
also same goes for cinemizer as well - vuzix is nothing...
Why do not we have the top names foraying into Hi-res HMDs - is this technology NOT so advanced or that commercial viability is not possible..
Big names like Sony etc still not in yet - why?

may be i have to purchase those china/hk only as not many choices out there or else wait..
PalmerTech

Post by PalmerTech »

Focal length has nothing to do with the size, only the field of view does. Focal length just determines how far away your eye is focusing.

The main reason you do not have large companies going into HMDs is because, quite simply, it is impossible to make an HMD that is small, has a large FOV, and costs under $5000 or so (Nobody would buy an HMD anywhere close to that anyways). People complain about 3D glasses, now imagine someone trying to sell a large, bulky HMD. It would be a hard sell! I am actually trying to work something out manufacturing wise myself to try and combat this trend, but it will be a loooong time before it goes anywhere, most likely.

These companies that are making HMDs are not exactly rocket scientists. There are 3 main display technologies that are used: Kopin display modules, Emagin Display Modules, and mirror split single LCD shutter rigs. The last one is a setup used in i-Glasses SVGA and the Headplay, the Headplay just appears to use much nicer, anti-reflective coated optics. Emagin OLED display modules are 800x600, and responsible for pretty much all other HMDs with that resolution, they all have the same specs as the Z800. Finally, Kopin makes several display modules, the most commonly used in decent HMDs is the 640x480 module. Most china HMDs use this, but without the extra 3D features of the VR920.

You really have very few options. Building your own or spending at least $600 or so on a Virtual Research V6 or V8 with 60 degree field of view (Still only 640x480) is your only option.

I was in the same position as you about a year ago, but you have to just realize that there are no options for a cheap HMD with a good field of view. :(
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

thank you PalmerTech for the useful info abt HMD tech..s
So vuzix and one more is i-glasses i3tv with 800x600 [fov 26', and 76'@13']

What abt wrap 920 Vs i-glasses i3tv as vr920 is a laptop toy only

1) does wrap 920 have decent screen with very good 3d [flicker free]?

2)i want the virtual screen size > 30' from 2' [laptop viewing distance] to be regarded as decent with very good brightness/colors/sharpness/contrast

i crib abt wrap 920 as the power source is AA cells not the usb..
and mixed views regd wrap 920 so really not sure

i3tv does not have good reviews on amazon either..though a bit expensive..

headplay projects 17'-19'@2' screen with not so good quality brightness/colors/sharpness/contrast as reviewed in this topic..

correct me please if am wrong the z800 also project the same size as headplay stated above..although they are 800x600 OLEDs-real expensive as well

So am lost totally dependent on china HMDs..pity!
PalmerTech

Post by PalmerTech »

1) The Wrap is not made for being immersive. It is semi-transparent, and it is worse for 3D gaming than the VR920.

2) There is nothing like that on the commercial market for cheap. I am nearly done making a custom HMD for the member Ido, it will be done within a week, and it has a resolution of 1280x800, 95 degree field of view... But the body of it is an MRG 2.2 helmet, not small video glasses. There is just nothing on the market for a reasonable price/size with the specs you are looking for, sadly. If there was, believe me, we would all have them!

The Z800 has a slightly higher FOV compared to the Headplay, but not by much. Keep in mind also that the Headplay and Z800 are both bad for 3D gaming, because the drivers do not work on modern video cards. IZ3D driver will work with them, but only with very, very powerful computers, and it still has problems.

Fatshark makes an HMD with 47 degree FOV, 640x480, but it has composite inputs only. It uses the same LCDs as a VR920, so I tried modding one into it, but the optics are not very clear. Large image, fine for composite... But bad for VGA.
ido
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by ido »

Listen to Palmer... He has probably had his hands on more HMDs than most people here, especially consumer level ones.

Honestly I was in the same boat as you years ago, always searching for a decent HMD with a wide FOV... It's really what EVERYONE in the HMD club wants. Like Palmer said, unless you mod something, it's doubtful you'll get anything to your expectations.

Thank you again Palmer for doing that mod for me! If you don't get pictures/video uploaded of it I will when I receive it.
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

Just got my headplay today...
takes a bit of time to adjust - if properly adjusted then it's good...
my only gripe is it's weight which drools upon the nose unless it's secured tightly over the forehead..
Also screen is reflective - so if you have not adjusted this properly and not looking 'head-on straight' it will be black spots ..
but thankfully headplay got me into 3D - seems i am bitten by 3D bug..

so my search continues for a light weight 3D HMD capable of playing popular 3D formats like anaglyph/field sequential / side-by-side etc...

Currently being aware of only Vuzix wrap 920 / AV920 capable of above if anybody has tested 3D with these - please update here for all of us to know .

i do not know if Virtual Visor can do 3D [anaglyph / field sequential / side-by-side ] - anybody who tried Virtual Visor please let me know...

really this HMD business is frustrating - i guess i got to get Z800 3dvisor and close this issue of perpetual search for 3D HMD once and for all... had it been accepting composite input - i'd have gotten it by now...

Cinemizer OLED is another hopeful-wanna be for me ...let's see...

Return to “General Stereoscopic 3D Discussion”