converting retro sci-fi illustrations to 3d

calebkraft
One Eyed Hopeful

converting retro sci-fi illustrations to 3d

Post by calebkraft »

I was just messing around with this huge collection of Science Fiction magazines I have. I usually scan a couple and post them to my site every sunday. This morning though, I was fantasizing about the rift coming soon and started thinking that I could cobble together some 3d versions of these covers.

Here's an example Image

There are several more along with a couple videos showing the process on my site.
Here's one of the videos.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTVPNpIZ1UM[/youtube]

Unfortunately, I couldn't find my red/blue glasses around so I may have that backwards.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: converting retro sci-fi illustrations to 3d

Post by cybereality »

Interesting idea. Thanks for posting this.

The 3D on the guy looks good, but for some reason the car looks strange to me. Not bad though.
calebkraft
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by calebkraft »

I had fun with it. The brown one turned out the most 3d probably.

I was doing it completely un-scientifically. Just spacing more closer to the eyeball, and less in the distance. The vehicle in the background really falls apart around the headlights, but if you look up toward the windshield it sort of works.
android78
Certif-Eyable!

Post by android78 »

Interesting. There's probably a way to automate this by first overlaying a layer and painting depths over the image (imagine a greyscale image where the lighter/darker means more/less depth) and then use that with a pixel shift to generate the two images. One would shift left depending on the greyscale value on the dept map, the other right. The problem with doing it by hand is that you have to be really careful that you don't change the vertical position, which appears to be what's happened with the train in the above picture.
One other thing is that, depending on the object, it's possible to just enlarge foreground objects to cover up missing pixels rather then having to paint it manually. This only works if the foreground object is (or can be) wider then the number of pixels that you are shifting it for depth.
calebkraft
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by calebkraft »

yeah, with the guy/bus I just moved stuff around without much thought. I like how the guy pops out, but the the bus is screwy.

I considered creating a z-depth grayscale like you mentioned, but it seemed like a lot of work.

Another thought I had was to create multiple planes in my 3d animation software and map the image to the planes. This would allow for easy depth control, but then I'd have to deal with lens distortion. (well, maybe not if I rendered orthographically)..
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

Cool work. There is a free software (photoforms) where you can apply depth to an existing 2d-image. Some had great results with it.
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
calebkraft
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by calebkraft »

all the links are 404d! I was looking forward to trying it too. :x
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

The entire mtbs3d downloadsection seems down or nuked. :?
Anyway i did find one revision (10, probably the first) on my computer. The author made some updates with extra functions but unfortunately a quick search didn't reveal anything more. :(
Get my copy of photoforms here.
The Iz3d-driver can be found in the Iz3d download section.
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D

Return to “General Stereoscopic 3D Discussion”