Low-ghosting suggestions?

chilledsanity
Cross Eyed!

Low-ghosting suggestions?

Post by chilledsanity »

I'm not new to S-3D, but it's been a long time since I've used it. I've tried it on the following in the past:

-CRT with Elsa Revelator
-CRT with Nvidia's XP drivers
-Headplay goggles with NVidia's XP drivers
-iz3d monitor with their drivers (prior to the polarizing tweak)

While I've had issues with most solutions, the biggest thing that always bugs the hell out of me is ghosting. I tend to check back on S-3D every 6 months to a year and see if anything has changed. Are there any solutions that have extremely low amounts of ghosting? Maybe specific monitors? Say for a night scene with bright lampposts standing out, or a similar high-contrast situation. In general I'm not interested in these options:

-Projectors (due to cost of replacing bulbs)
-HMDs (the Headplay I tried felt like a Viewfinder and far less immersive than a monitor)
-Planar monitors (from what I can tell these extremely high prices)

Thanks in advance for any advice (even if it's just to wait).
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Re: Low-ghosting suggestions?

Post by Chiefwinston »

Okay what your looking for is a Panasonic Plasma. I'm running a VT25. I can make adjustments so that I have ZERO ghosting in ALL my games and movies. You'll here about other options from others here I'm sure. I've been running my Panasonic for close to a year now. There's nothing that compairs. Period.

cheers
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Panasonic Plasma VT25 50" (Full HD 3D)
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
Serving up my own 3D since 1996.
(34) Patents
chilledsanity
Cross Eyed!

Post by chilledsanity »

Well that's worth considering, though I should probably mention this will only be used for PC gaming (I've been pretty unimpressed by the depth levels I've seen in 3D movies in the theater). Do plasma screens still have the risk of burn-in for lots of static images if I were to use this as a regular monitor as well?
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

In terms of monitors, they all have ghosting. Some more than others, but it is something you end up living with. I believe the best monitor in this regard is the 23" Planar SA2311W (its not a stereo mirror rig). Its a 120Hz 3D Vision monitor, sells for around $400. Even though I haven't seen, from what I have heard, its the best [in terms of 3D LCDs monitors]. The main issue with the 3D Vision monitors is dark objects against a light background (like a building in front of sky). Dark night scenes actually look pretty decent considering. Ghosting is probably similar to what you remember with CRTs, but could even be better depending on your old setup. Really there is no reason to wait. There are lots of great options available. I'd say go with that Planar and get the Nvidia 3D Vision glasses (obviously you need an Nvidia card and also you want Windows 7). If you have a little more money to spend, you can get the 27" Acer HN274H for under $700 (comes with Nvidia glasses). That is actually a really nice kit, and ghosting is low *for an LCD*. Even with some minor ghosting, the 3D looks amazing. Well worth it.

Chiefwinston is right though, the Panasonic plasmas do have less ghosting than LCD. If you only care about ghosting, then that is something to think about. However you cannot game with a PC in 1080P on those HDTVs, only 720P, so the quality is not as good. And the difference is noticeable, even if 720P isn't the end of the world. And plasma does still have some issues with burn-in, though supposedly improved since what it used to be.
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

Sorry, yes static images are bad for all plasma's. But its not like suprise you have burn in. It requires a bit of negligence to get to that point. I would not use one as a PC monitor. To play play PC games and then switch to a pc monitor- yeah thats more appropriate. But when it comes to the 3D- well I don't believe there's anything in the same league. And theater movies look fantastic on my Panasonic Plasma- better at home than at the theaters. But I would recommend you actually see with your own eye's before you buy anything. I wouldn't buy any 3D product sight unseen. Have fun shopping.

cheers everyone
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
(34) Patents
chilledsanity
Cross Eyed!

Post by chilledsanity »

So it sounds like I would want more space so I could switch between the two screens when I do gaming if I went with a plasma, that way it wouldn't be receiving static images (like a desktop) at other times. As for 1280x720, that's fine, especially with AA.
Freke1
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Freke1 »

There is a big difference from XP, revelators and CRT to win 7, Nvidia 3D vision and a 50" panasonic plasma TV. In my opinion 50" is perfect as a monitor. I had a hard time spotting any ghosting when I saw the VT20 in a shop.
WiredEarp
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by WiredEarp »

Ive seen some awesome ghost free Panasonic plasmas in demos in stores here. My understanding is that Plasma and DLP are pretty much the best in terms of ghost free. Since you say projectors aren't an option, I'd also suggest you go with plasma if ghosting is an issue (and I HATE ghosting, it can be like playing a game in the rain for the annoying way it degrades your quality).

Surprisingly, ghosting on my Alienware AWE2310 LCD with 3D Vision is almost unnoticeable (unless the drivers stuff out). Significantly superior to my eDimensionals on a 23" CRT. Bright white lights against black backgrounds are the only time I notice them. I don't really recommend any current 3D monitors however, as screen sizes < 26" are too small for great 3D effects IMHO.
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

DLP are almost ghost free but Plasma aren't at all. Panasonic Plasma TVs are very good concerning ghosting though, even if they exhibit visible ghosting with heavy black and white contrast. But that's not necessarily the case with other manufacturers, as has been shown recently in this forum for a Samsung Plasma TV which had very bad ghosting.
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

I can only speak for the Panasonic 50" VT25. I get the same amount of ghosting as my local movie theater that is using Christie DLP Projector tech. My 50" Panasonic I feel is superior in 3D effect and image quality. Blacks and whites do not yield ghosted images on my set. Now improper setting will give poor results. Grab the remote- adjust the settings, and whola no ghosting. I do it all the time. Me and the Panasonic are quite good friends now. 3D blu-ray are jaw dropping incredible, same with the games. If your getting ghosting with this set. Your not running it right.

cheers
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
(34) Patents
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

If you modify the settings (contrast, brightness, colors) in 3D then you degrade the image quality. And you'll still see ghosting on black/white contrasted scenes, even if it's reduced, but those are not that frequent in 3D games and movies. You can easily find ghosting test images on the web for many displays and particularly for the VT25 to see what you can expect.
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

Ya I know. You can take all the free information on the net an take it to the bank. I've never read or seen untrue statements on the net. Its beautiful, isn't it.

peace
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
(34) Patents
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

If you don't believe what you can find on the net, you could just take pictures of your TV with the DDD ghosting test image to show us what it's like on your display. For example with standard settings and adjusted settings in the same lighting conditions so we can all see the results by ourselves.
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

I don't have a 3D camera. Any suggestions? I'll shoot them if there's a way.

Peace
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
(34) Patents
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

I meant in 2D, only to see the results of the ghosting test on your TV. Thanks if you can find the time to do it.
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

Any chance you can put the test image in .MPO format. It would help.

Peace
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
(34) Patents
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

Okay I'm willing to shoot them. But you lost me on the 2D part?

Peace
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
(34) Patents
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

The goal is only to evaluate ghosting by displaying this image in 3D mode :
http://www.tridef.com/support/images/co ... 080-lr.png" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You just need to shoot one image through each glasses eye with a standard 2D camera.
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

Any Ideas for an .MPO format. It would save me a lot of time.

Peace
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
(34) Patents
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

It will help me with activating the glasses through hdmi.

Thanks
Last edited by Chiefwinston on Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
(34) Patents
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

Okay, I converted the test image to .mpo. It seams we cant upload .mpo files anyways.

Thanks
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
(34) Patents
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Chiefwinston wrote:Okay, I converted the test image to .mpo. It seams we cant upload .mpo files anyways.

Thanks
You can upload any type of file provided you zip it first.
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

Alright, I had about an hour to load this up and shoot some stills. First up my primary camera is a full body digital. It would not fit in between the glasses. I had to use the camera on my phone. And even then it was a bitch to hold the glasses, the camera, and then press the button. It was made worse when I shot through the right lens of the glasses. I had to flip the camera upside down in order to fit in between the arms of the glasses. I'll get a better set-up lighting wise and handling wise, this coming week. I'll get a different camera if I can't get the color right. The blue cast is the camera. The test image displayed perfectly. I used my PS3 and the 3D image viewer that is a free down load. It's all piped in through HDMI. The viewer allows me to pick 1080P/24 hz or 720P/60 hz. I picked 1080P/ 24 hz. The Panasonic VT25 is in Game mode all settings are the sets default. Contrast is at 100% in default mode.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Chiefwinston on Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
(34) Patents
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

I know pretty sad hand held photo's. A guy tries to snap a couple of quick photo's and next thing ya know it's a big job. Anyways, with the shutter glasses on and covering my right eye. The left image has none of the small target R's in the upper/lower right side not even faintly. Covering my left eyes I see none of the target L's in the upper/lower left side. I do, however, see a faint R in the center of the left eye image. I'm not so sure I'm going to be able to photograph it- its faint. I'll give it another try though.
Last edited by Chiefwinston on Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
(34) Patents
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

deleting a double post. my matrix is glitching again.
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
(34) Patents
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Very nice man. About what I expected based on the demo I've seen at stores.
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

This central ghosting looks similar to other ghosting images of this display I've seen on the Web, but it's kinda hard to tell with the quality of the picture. The results would probably be more visible with a better camera.
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

I get that your looking for evidence of image retention and decay. With the shutter glasses on you see no ghosting with this test image. There's simply nothing ghost wise for me to try and remove. As for knowing what to expect ghosting wise, based on this image test. Your test image is a FAIL.
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
(34) Patents
Synexious
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Synexious »

HMZ-T1. Sony says it has "virtually" no ghosting, but wouldn't it have none at all, since there are two separated displays with a divider between? How would there be any ghosting at all, then?
Neil

Post by Neil »

HMZ-T1. Sony says it has "virtually" no ghosting, but wouldn't it have none at all, since there are two separated displays with a divider between? How would there be any ghosting at all, then?
If you stay up late...I mean REALLY late...you might see some ghosting, goblining, and maybe some witching. :woot

Regards,
Neil
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

I was just looking in the mirror and I was seeing ghosting (just in one eye). Maybe too much 3D isn't good for you...
Synexious
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Synexious »

WOOl @ Neil and Cyber. If I stay up for 48 hours I start to hallucinate, I think.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Aphradonis wrote:WOOl @ Neil and Cyber. If I stay up for 48 hours I start to hallucinate, I think.
Yes, I've been there! College will do that to you.
Freke1
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Freke1 »

Aphradonis wrote:WOOl @ Neil and Cyber. If I stay up for 48 hours I start to hallucinate, I think.
You will also loose the balance (bumping into walls etc.). At least I did XD.

Return to “General Stereoscopic 3D Discussion”