Panasonic's DMP-BDT300 3D Blu Ray player does Checkerboard!

Anthony1
Cross Eyed!

Panasonic's DMP-BDT300 3D Blu Ray player does Checkerboard!

Post by Anthony1 »

A member of the AVS forums has confirmed that the DMP-BDT300 can actually output Checkerboard. He tested it on a Mitsubishi DLP, using the Samsung SSG1000 glasses and emitter kit, with a DMP-BDT300 and the 3D Demo disk that comes with the Panasonic player. This is from his post:

Ok I went to Best Buy today and I brought my 3d glasses with emitter. I asked the Magnolia manager if we could hook up the Panasonic 3d blu player to the Mitsubishi DLP tv. I told him I had glasses and an emitter. He said why not and we hooked it up to the 82" Mitsubishi DLP. Selected the checkerboard format option on the player and turned on the 3d mode for the Mitsu. The player then performed a test with 2 squares with the numbers 1 and 2 in them to make sure the 3d mode was working properly. I synced the glasses. Bada bing, it was working. We fired up the demo disc and enjoyed the 3d glory. The manager and few others checked it out. Needless to say they were impressed. The manager said he thought the resolution loss would be noticeable but he couldn't find any fault with the image.

So I can attest that the Panasonic is completely compatible with the Mitsubishi 3d ready DLP and probably the Samsung DLP as well, even though I didn't test it to confirm it. I would have purchased the player then and there how ever I reminded myself that there is really no content out there and it would not be worth it at this time. It is nice to know the option is out there.

This is very interested news.... Now, if only the Panasonic DMP-BDT300 could also output that checkerboard at 1360 x 768, then I could actually buy this thing for my Samsung PN50A450 plasma.... :(
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: Panasonic's DMP-BDT300 3D Blu Ray player does Checkerboa

Post by cybereality »

That is great to hear. I am this close to buying a Mitsubishi DLP and the more support the better.
vrekks
Cross Eyed!

Post by vrekks »

Do it cyber. I have a Mits DLP and always find myself watching it over my lcd and projector. I highly recommend it, for both 3d and 2d.
"Who has ever torn himself from the claw that encloses you when you drop a seed in a TV parlor? It grows you any shape it wishes! It is an environment as real as the world. It becomes and is the truth. Books can be beaten down with reason. But with all my knowledge and scepticism, I have never been able to argue with a one-hundred-piece symphony orchestra, full colour, three dimensions, and I being in and part of those incredible parlors."
Nobsi
Cross Eyed!

Post by Nobsi »

I just received a DMP-BDT300 for testing and unfortunatelly can not confirm that checkerboard is supported. The options offered in the menu are only FullHD and Side-by-Side. The device has the actual firmware 1.20.
Is checkerboard only offered if a specific 3d-ready TV is connected to the player?

I currently have a 3D-ready Samsung Plasma connected to it. This TV has a native resolution of 1360*768, so would most probably not work with the players checkerboard output since this resolution is not offered by it.

Can someone confirm that the player with firmware 1.20 offers checkeboard if a true 1080p or 720p 3Dready HDTV/Projector is connected? Or did Panasonic remove this option in the latest firmware?
taz291819
Cross Eyed!

Post by taz291819 »

Folks on AVSForum are confirming checkerboard output for both the 300 and 350.

And according to the user manual, the 300 does checkerboard output.
Nobsi
Cross Eyed!

Post by Nobsi »

Ok, I checked the manual and no word about checkerboard output. But of course I have the European manual version and also European firmware.
So I checked the US site of Panasonic and loaded the english manual. And there is actually mentioning of the checkerboard format.

So again we Europeans are left in the dust. We must pay nearly double the price and get less features, like nVidia 3Dvision without sync cable and no DLP-HDTVs at all.

The official price for the BDT300 here is 499€ (= $628), while the device costs $399 in the US.
Killigath
Cross Eyed!

Post by Killigath »

Has anyone tried the BDT100 to see if it does checkerboard too? I have read some reviews that says it does. Just wanted to confirm with some of you before I make the plunge.

Currently own a 2.5 year old 61" Samsung DLP LED TV. I can't justify spending the $$ on a new 3D television at the moment. I want to wait till the tech matures a little before I jump in the market on a $2,500+ television. But I would really like to enjoy at least blu-ray playback on new movies that are released. At ~$170 the BDT300's baby brother looks like a viable option. Really wish there was a smaller 3D TV (32"-37") available in the sub $1000 price range, then I would jump.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Killigath wrote:Really wish there was a smaller 3D TV (32"-37") available in the sub $1000 price range, then I would jump.
There is the Samsung PN50C490 at around $1000 or less. Its 50" but only an odd resolution of 1365 x 768, so it may have compatibility issues.
ZeldaMan35
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by ZeldaMan35 »

cybereality wrote:
Killigath wrote:Really wish there was a smaller 3D TV (32"-37") available in the sub $1000 price range, then I would jump.
There is the Samsung PN50C490 at around $1000 or less. Its 50" but only an odd resolution of 1365 x 768, so it may have compatibility issues.
Is that the TV you recommend? I'm looking to put in a 3D TV or and make kind of a movie theater room in my house. I've already been looking at surround sound systems and I think that I have one already picked out. Now I'm just looking for the right TV.
Last edited by ZeldaMan35 on Mon May 30, 2011 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I love my LCD HDTV!
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

If you want to create a movie theater room why you could also go with a 3D DLP projector.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

From what I understand the DLP 3D projectors will give the best experience. They are also not that much money, especially compared to what some HDTVs cost. The Acer H5360BD looks really nice, but its not available in the US just yet. So far its the only consumer projector with HDMI 1.4a support (PS3, AMD, etc.). If I was on the market to get a projector, and it was available, that'd be the one I'd buy. If you don't want to wait, there are a few 720P 3D DLP projectors that can be used with converter boxes in order to support the HDMI 3D standard. Or, if you are just interested in PC use, you can get any of the projector's listed of the Nvidia 3D Vision compatibility page. If you are looking for an HDTV (and have some more money to spend) I thought the Sony Bravia line looked really nice (and the Sony glasses are top-notch), followed by the Panasonic Viera.

Return to “General Stereoscopic 3D Discussion”