OpenGL drivers / converters/ wrappers

PPorquer3D
One Eyed Hopeful

OpenGL drivers / converters/ wrappers

Post by PPorquer3D »

Hello, as a low budget 3D gamer, the first thing i wanted to do was re-play some N64, PC, gamecube & PS2 classics in 3D, with the best possible enhancements.

for years i have encountered some difficulties with N64 games that feature texture packs.

some of the Better N64 games have great texture packs & effects that can only be displayed using OpengL based plugins, but trough the years i have found no way to use tridef, IZ3d nor a 3d Nvidia card to work.

original Doom 3d actually runs with the Nvidia3d , but you have to use a wrapper, & those seem to be scarce & not very "universal"

However the LG optimus 3D cell phone has a driver/converter that actually ran N64 games with texture packs
unfortunately, its hardware is not enough to maintain a decent frame-rate.
Also, early LG 3d Google tv's also had a version of this Converter, so i think it would be interesting to see if this converter could be studied or organize a petition for LG to share or port this to PC's

Locally, i have found no help from local programmers (i'm the type of person who finds solutions & shares them after i know they work well)
but after years of no progress, i turn to you to help me find a good OpenGL solution.

I believe this will not just benefit N64 fans
If if time & health Be kind, i will share some of my Stereoscopic successes.
Guig2000
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Re: OpenGL drivers / converters/ wrappers

Post by Guig2000 »

Additionally to an OpenGL driver, you'll need an 3D accelerated emulator. Most of then only use 2D acceleration, and the console's GPU itself is often emulated on pure software.
So an opengl driver would just see a few flat shaders.

This method allow a much better compatibility with games, the emulator itself is much easier to maintain and give the possibility to get pixel perfect accuracy. Of course the main cost is high memory bandwidth and CPU power consumption.
PPorquer3D
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: OpenGL drivers / converters/ wrappers

Post by PPorquer3D »

thanks for the reply Guig2000

when it comes to nintendo 64 games i am not too picky - low resolutions (like 720 by 480) in 3d are no problem for me.
iz3d always did a stellar work of the games, but i wanted wide-screen & texture pack support - something that eluded me for years - also the only resolutions that worked where 1080p & 1280 by 720 - this was a problem - side by side imaging works fine with 640 by 480, but this resolution would not be available in my 3dtv's menu ... resolutions higher than that would render the games too slowly.

good news 1 recently i have found a method to force low resolutions to activate my 3dtv's menus 3d options (over under, side by side) -
basically - take the lowest resolution your 3dtv can "detect" in order to activate the 3d menu, and customize it in the nvidia panel.
basically you make a 640 by 480 resolution that uses the same "acive pixels" that the 1280 720 resolution has - this allows for the game to run at 640 480 speed, but with the 1280 by 720 benefits...

bad news 1
the machine that had the nvidia3d vision card got burned - so now i am stuck with iz3d, but good news
just yesterday, i have found that iz3d can do opengl - so i will run some experiments later..

bad news 2, i cannot do the resolution override tricks on this old pc, it seems that the vga output does not allow to "stretch" low resolutions like the hdmi laptop does

bad news 3, laptop was upgraded to windows 10 in an attempt to run a parsec server - iz3d is rumored not to work in win10

Return to “General Stereoscopic 3D Discussion”