DIY Rear-Projection Dome

Ferrino
One Eyed Hopeful

DIY Rear-Projection Dome

Post by Ferrino »

I've seen some discussion of the Frex CanopyScreen product on this forum (http://www.frex.com/gp/canopy/canopy_en.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;), which is essentially a quarter-dome made of some plastic material and is typically used with a single or triple arrangement of rear-facing projectors. Typical application would be driving and flight simulations. It looks really impressive and immersive, albeit a touch small with only 12" of height.

Very interested in this product but not the insane price-tag (~$1500 I think), so was wondering what you think of using an acrylic half-dome, of the sort usually used in skylights, displays, canopies etc.? I think this has been proposed on this forum previously, but I haven't seen anyone follow through with it.

For example, as seen here: http://www.globalplastics.ca/2480.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It looks like you can get a half-dome (made of acrylic) of 60" diameter for around $400, which will obviously make for 2 displays when chopped in half. Obviously that would give a depth and height of 30" and a nice width of 60".

Other than the usual issues of projecting onto a non-planar surface, what are the main issues with this sort of approach? How important is the thickness of the acrylic in a rear-projection setup? They appear to offer both 3/16" and 1/4" thicknesses. Also, what type of coating/paint would you recommend for the clear acrylic?

Thanks for any input on this!
mayaman
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Re: DIY Rear-Projection Dome

Post by mayaman »

bump. Anyone?
mayaman

Post by mayaman »

OK, I did this project and now I'm moving to a much larger six foot diameter dome. I'm selling my 3 foot diameter dome. Its on Ebay. This project cost me almost $500 with materials. Selling it for $350 plus shipping. Way below what you would pay TOOB for a 3 foot diameter dome as they charge $1200 for the same size dome.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/180736060837?ss ... 1555.l2649" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

thanks
Okta
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by Okta »

Thats cool, have you blogged any info on the project we can see?
"I did not chip in ten grand to seed a first investment round to build value for a Facebook acquisition."
Notch on the FaceDisgrace buyout.
mayaman

Post by mayaman »

Unfortunately no, just wanted to add that I'll take 225 bucks plus shipping and I'll throw in the spherical mirror, brand new.

Thanks
mAchiNE

Post by mAchiNE »

@mayaman
I'd love to see how you set this up and what software you used to correct the image distortion from the dome.
Current System:
Oculus Rift Dev Kit, 3x 23" Passive 3D Monitors in 3D Vision Surround, Novint Falcon, 3rd Space Gaming Vest, ButtKicker, Razer Hydra, Logitech G25.
Previous 3D Systems:
Viewsonic PJD6531w 3D DLP Projector, Vuzix VR920, 24" Alienware and 22" Samsung 3D Vision Monitors, eDimensional 3D Glasses with 19" CRT Monitor

Return to “General Stereoscopic 3D Discussion”