Hacking Nvidia 3DVision

Tutorials on how to create your own rigs, pics, movies, and everything that has to do with S-3D at home!
Petrus
Two Eyed Hopeful

Re: Hacking Nvidia 3DVision

Post by Petrus »

I made a circuit to use my system with DVI connexion.
The circuit is composed of two sub-circuit : A EDID (Extended display identification data) EEprom and the Sync extractor :

If I connect my optoma projector directly on DVI, the 3D vision driver switch immediately in discover mode.
I had to wire an I2C EEprom on the DDC data and clock pins, the EDID on the EEprom replace the EDID of the projector and fool the 3d vision driver that believe there is a compatible display connected.
This part might also interest those who have problems with not available resolution/refresh rate.

The second part is the Sync extraction circuit, it extract a single sync pulse out of the DVI blue signal.

It works like this :

DVI blue signal :
Signal A : Blue-
Signal B : Blue+

The sync pulse is extracted from the Blue signal with a transistor based differential amplifier (signal "RB")
The signal is then shifted by C3, R11 and R4 just above the 555 trigger level (VCC/3).
During a sync pulse, the signal goes below VCC/3 and trig the 555 monostable.
The result is a positive pulse (signal "B").

The circuit works fine, but I have an other problem. There is some flashing dots on the black area of an image even if I plug the projector directly on the video card, without my circuit in between.
This problem doesn't appear on my LCD monitor.

Is someone already resolved this problem ?
Petrus
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Petrus »

After some measurements, I found that the differential impedance of the DVI input of the projector is only 60ohms instead of 100ohms on the LCD monitor.
The DVI specification says the differential impedance must be 100ohms +/- 15%.
Apparently, the projector doesn't follow the DVI specification I think this impedance mismatch is the cause of the flashing pixels.
tritosine5G
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by tritosine5G »

-yeah there might be reflections if not terminated properly.
-Biased for 0 Gen HMD's to hell and back must be one hundred percent hell bent bias!
atariguy
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by atariguy »

I thought you could use 555s to trigger each other, like this

http://www.play-hookey.com/digital/time ... encer.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

or am I (most likely) misunderstanding?
Petrus
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Petrus »

atariguy wrote:I thought you could use 555s to trigger each other, like this

http://www.play-hookey.com/digital/time ... encer.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

or am I (most likely) misunderstanding?
Yep, with the additional Capacitor/resistors on the inputs (like on your link) it will work.
Chris1976
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Chris1976 »

I also have IR distance problem while I was happy with working this working IR timing. 1m is the maximum even I drive three emitters with 200mA each. Finally I bought 850nm and 940nm for testing and got the result. 940nm is the better one which gives me 5m distance wide angle with 3 emitters of 200mA each. You guys can try 940nm emitter for 3D Vision. Thanks for everybody's discussion because it became the best glasses. :lol:
atariguy
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by atariguy »

Yes, I found 940nm LEDs to be by FAR the best solution.

Thanks so much for the DVI sync circuit, it works a treat, and is so easy to couple with $5 of parts to drive just about any glasses.
Cheers!
kuquet
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by kuquet »

I understand it is possible to make a synchro extractor from a DVI signal, or HDMI.
I was wondering if this principle could work with a PS3 or a bluray player 3D, a video projector, 3D glasses operating with an infrared transmitter equipped with a VESA input pin mini-DIN-3?
icesterftl
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by icesterftl »

Petrus wrote:I made a circuit to use my system with DVI connexion.
The circuit is composed of two sub-circuit : A EDID (Extended display identification data) EEprom and the Sync extractor :

If I connect my optoma projector directly on DVI, the 3D vision driver switch immediately in discover mode.
I had to wire an I2C EEprom on the DDC data and clock pins, the EDID on the EEprom replace the EDID of the projector and fool the 3d vision driver that believe there is a compatible display connected.
This part might also interest those who have problems with not available resolution/refresh rate.

The second part is the Sync extraction circuit, it extract a single sync pulse out of the DVI blue signal.

It works like this :

DVI blue signal :
Signal A : Blue-
Signal B : Blue+

The sync pulse is extracted from the Blue signal with a transistor based differential amplifier (signal "RB")
The signal is then shifted by C3, R11 and R4 just above the 555 trigger level (VCC/3).
During a sync pulse, the signal goes below VCC/3 and trig the 555 monostable.
The result is a positive pulse (signal "B").

The circuit works fine, but I have an other problem. There is some flashing dots on the black area of an image even if I plug the projector directly on the video card, without my circuit in between.
This problem doesn't appear on my LCD monitor.

Is someone already resolved this problem ?
Do you mean to say that nVidia 3D Vision outputs blu-line sync when configured for DLP-Link projector?
Or is it your own software Stereoscopic Player that inserts the blu-line sync pulse?

The experts are claiming that there is no way to get correct eye phase for 120Hz DLP-Link projectors to work with DLP-Link LC shutter glasses.

Please advice.

icesterftl
Petrus
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Petrus »

The sync extractor I designed do not extract blu-line L/R sync, it extract the vertical sync of every frame to synchronize my IR emitter. I synchronize the L/R with the 3D vision emitter.

The vertical sync is sent to the monitor via the blue channel. I think that's why you misunderstood the function of the circuit.
icesterftl
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by icesterftl »

Petrus wrote:The sync extractor I designed do not extract blu-line L/R sync, it extract the vertical sync of every frame to synchronize my IR emitter. I synchronize the L/R with the 3D vision emitter.

The vertical sync is sent to the monitor via the blue channel. I think that's why you misunderstood the function of the circuit.
Yes, but DLP-Link is not using blu-line pulse to correct the eye phase. The question is what application sends it and what is it for.
If nVidia had implemented it on Windows 7 then it must be a reason.

icesterftl
Petrus
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Petrus »

I don't know anything about blu-line, but you can ask OzOnE2k10
icesterftl
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by icesterftl »

Thank you for helping.

Best of lack.

icesterftl
ange
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by ange »

Hello,

this is my first post here. I'm very intrested in bringing 3D to my home theatre but as I've not found any reasonable commercial offer for this (projector full HD 120hz at 6000€ or dual polarized projection with a very costly silverscreen) I'd like to do something myself in order to wait for cheaper 3D product. I've found an idea for a project but before explaining it I'd like to have some help regarding a 3D vision hack. I'd need to pilot the nvidia left and right closure meaning a IR system emitter that would close one eye when pushing a button and the other by pushing another. Obviously buttons will be in fact two sensors closing and opening the circuit at around 120hz.(the two sensors won't open or close the eyes at the same time).
So Im looking for someone to help me on reusing what has alreay been done in this topic for my project.

Thanks in advance

Ange
Petr
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Petr »

My experiments with emitters were successful. The most effective were SMD LEDs 850 nm. I use the 4 groups of 6 LED's for my device. Current during the pulse 4 amps. At a distance of 2 meters the signal is very stable. If we apply the directed light-emitting diodes (10-30 degrees) - that can significantly increase the distance.

In my device used wide-angle LEDs because the user can watch the screen from various angles. In the video you can see my device.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRvZEhLwXWE[/youtube]
Inside, in addition to computers and cameras, is a special device for switching video streams. The input is two video stream (for each eye). The device produces a mixed video stream and controls IR-emitters.

Projector - Benq W600
Not the best choice. Poorly defines the image resolution. Does not allow the output 120 Hz without DLP-Link mode.
(This problem is solved by closing both eyes at the time of the flash)
Brandon9271
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Brandon9271 »

I dunno if you guys have seen this but someone makes an emitter with a 3 pin DIN that will supposedly drive the Nvidia glasses with their correct protocol. I've seen it sold in a few place but here it is. http://www.3dmagic.com/catalog/Gen2hometransmitter.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
OuHiroshi
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by OuHiroshi »

Brandon9271 wrote:I dunno if you guys have seen this but someone makes an emitter with a 3 pin DIN that will supposedly drive the Nvidia glasses with their correct protocol. I've seen it sold in a few place but here it is. http://www.3dmagic.com/catalog/Gen2hometransmitter.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The instruction showed an eDimension like VGA dongle for PC. I think you need a bit of tweaking to get 120hz work on a VGA connection.
Brandon9271
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Brandon9271 »

Yeah.. im struggling with that now. I just wish somebody would make a Hdmi dongle with a 3 pin mini DIN :)
typhoon
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by typhoon »

Petr wrote:My experiments with emitters were successful. The most effective were SMD LEDs 850 nm. I use the 4 groups of 6 LED's for my device. Current during the pulse 4 amps. At a distance of 2 meters the signal is very stable. If we apply the directed light-emitting diodes (10-30 degrees) - that can significantly increase the distance.

In my device used wide-angle LEDs because the user can watch the screen from various angles. In the video you can see my device.
Inside, in addition to computers and cameras, is a special device for switching video streams. The input is two video stream (for each eye). The device produces a mixed video stream and controls IR-emitters.

Projector - Benq W600
Not the best choice. Poorly defines the image resolution. Does not allow the output 120 Hz without DLP-Link mode.
WOW, mate nice job!!
that is a f****g hologram!!!
from sci-fi to reality!!!!
i was thinking about it some months ago and it looks you've done it, marvelous!!
icesterftl
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by icesterftl »

Petr wrote:My experiments with emitters were successful. The most effective were SMD LEDs 850 nm. I use the 4 groups of 6 LED's for my device. Current during the pulse 4 amps. At a distance of 2 meters the signal is very stable. If we apply the directed light-emitting diodes (10-30 degrees) - that can significantly increase the distance.

Projector - Benq W600
Did you use DirectX or OpenGL to render the scene?

icesterftl
jimm
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by jimm »

[quote="Petrus"]I made a circuit to use my system with DVI connexion.

Good afternoon! Where to take firmware EDID EEprom for DVI sync extractor?(need EDID from any 3D fullHD 120Hz 24" 3DVision compatible monitor)
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Here is an export of the Asus VG236 using Moninfo. Maybe it will help.
ASUS_VG236.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jimm
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by jimm »

cybereality wrote:Here is an export of the Asus VG236 using Moninfo. Maybe it will help.
ASUS_VG236.zip
Thank you very much! Tomorrow I will try.
jimm
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by jimm »

[quote="Petrus"]I made a circuit to use my system with DVI connexion.

Somebody repeated the given device? Here in the circuit probably an error:

Blue_GND It is 19 pin DVI!!! And where it to connect? Or it isn't used? Signals BLUE + (18 pin) and BLUE - (17 pin) are used only, and GND is connected to 15 pin DVI???
Prompt please...
P.S. This Sync extractor will work with DVI-D Dual Link???
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
WACOMalt
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by WACOMalt »

Wow, you guys are amazing. I recently have had some issues with my 3D vision setup. Using an Acer GD235HZ 120HZ LCD monitor and NVidia 3D vision on my laptop (using NVidia Quadro FX 880M)

The glasses slowly roll out of sync. I wonder if you guys may be able to help me spot the problem? I thought it was a driver issue, but I see now it could be hardware in the glasses or the monitor. How can I tell which part is at the wrong rate? Either the monitor is broke (which I cant do anything about short of replacing it) or the druvers, GPU, nvidia box, or nvidia glasses are sending the wrong refresh rate to the monitor or to the glasses. (which maybe can be hacked around as you guys have)

Any ideas where to start? I'd love to build something like these boards, or buy one if that would solve my issues.
sonik
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by sonik »

@Petrus,
It's possible to intercept the sync signal from the Nvidia Emitter and apply some delay?
I'm asking because I got a 120hz oled tv and when using 3d vision I get massive amount of ghosting. I think the timing is wrong.
Petrus
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Petrus »

Yep, that's what I did at first, the DIY emitter was synchronized by decoding the IR signal from the Nvidia emitter.
Now I still use the DIY emitter but it is synchronized by the sync output signal from my video projector.
sonik
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by sonik »

Nice!
The project you posted here will work with the signal from the emiter without the vga input? (I'm using HDMI)
Petrus
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Petrus »

Now that I rethink about it, the IR signal from the emitter is only used to define the left/right order and the timing was taken from the VGA port.
So you will have to do some modifications in the code to take the timing signal from the IR signal.
peter64
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by peter64 »

Hey guys, I stumbled upon this while trying to interact with the nvidia stereo controller emitter directly. I was unsuccessful in my original goal, but in my searches I found two github projects that instruct one how to take a arduino pro mini and turn it into a compatible 3d vision stereo emitter with extended functionality (hybrid sync and pc control, uses page sync from display device and L/R signal from PC). I built one of these in a single day and it works really well, so I would suggest it for anyone in the future who might be attempting to use old nvidia 3d vision glasses with a non nvidia gpu :)
https://github.com/lukis101/3DVisionAVR
https://github.com/b3nn/3DVisionAVR-Hardware

It also lets you customize your timing parameters by modifying the two variables below, changing FRAME_DURATION to (2*7000) seemed to work well on my DLP projector, anything shorter and the colors weren't right because it didn't get all the colors.
```
// Frame exposure duration in half-microseconds (@16MHz)
#define FRAME_DURATION (2*4000)
// Time between sync trigger and start of IR token (same units)
#define FRAME_PAN (10)
```

I intend to try and get the project working on a 120hz 4K LG OLED if I can find an easy way to extract the sync signal from HDMI (although I think this may be hard with HDMI 2.1) or the opengl framebuffer
sodgim
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by sodgim »

Any Progress Peter64?.....
Jurgman
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Jurgman »

I built the circuit on a breadboard. Even checked the bootloader com ports.
I am a newb to Microchip Studio and got several errors. Can you please help?
I changed the IR_SetSyncMode(SYNCMODE_COMBINED);
over to
IR_SetSyncMode(SYNCMODE_DRIVER);

When loading 3DvisionAVR into microchip studio I get an error screen:
3DVisionAVR.componentinfo.xml has the information of the pack used in the project and the file is missing, do you want to regenerate 3DVisionAVR.componentinfo.xml with the latest pack information?

Also when I run build solution it has 3 errors:
Severity Code Description Project File Line
Error error writing to -: Invalid argument 3DVisionAVR C:\Users\Forban V\3DVISION BAK\3DVisionAVR\3DVisionAVR\Emitter.c 314

Error recipe for target 'obj/Emitter.o' failed 3DVisionAVR C:\Users\Forban V\3DVISION BAK\3DVisionAVR\lufa\LUFA\Build\DMBS\DMBS\gcc.mk 224

Error can't create obj/Emitter.o: No such file or directory 3DVisionAVR RUNCOMPILERTASK 0

I'm a bit frustrated. Also are there a new version, changes or updates?
TomKeller
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by TomKeller »

@Jurgman

I've built the DIY emitter from this thread:

viewtopic.php?t=22730

... using an own pcb design:

https://oshpark.com/shared_projects/Jz0WtGLn

... and the files from the 3DVisionAVR github. I had some initial problems with the software (and was using the wrong mosfet :? )... but eventually figured it out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGndwJLXUdM

Even though i had no experience with Microchip Studio. I'll take a look when i'm home - maybe i can help...

EDIT:
There's a link in the other thread with a step by step description to get the 3DVisionAVR code to work:

https://github.com/b3nn/3DVisionAVR-Har ... IRMWARE.md

Maybe it'll help you as much as it helped me...

Return to “Do it Yourself!”