[REQ]Planar style 3d .. with 2x crts?

Tutorials on how to create your own rigs, pics, movies, and everything that has to do with S-3D at home!
SilverBear
One Eyed Hopeful

[REQ]Planar style 3d .. with 2x crts?

Post by SilverBear »

Is a DIY planar set up possible with 2 Crts? I searched but was unable to discern if this is possible. I'm aware that the setup would be enormous - likely would need a special desk. The idea of say 1600x1200 at 100hz from 2 crts really gets me excited!

Thank you!
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Re: [REQ]Planar style 3d .. with 2x crts?

Post by Likay »

Sure, you can. You need a polarizersheet for each screen that covers the entire screenarea plus the ordinary planarsetup semireflective mirror. Be aware that the polarizers cuts down at least 55% (unpolarized to polarized) of the light from the crt's.
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
SilverBear
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by SilverBear »

Thank you so much for your quick reply! I have a follow up question after learning about this light reduction: Is it only Crts that suffer from this or would lcds/plasmas also suffer?
PalmerTech
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by PalmerTech »

LCDs have the polarizer layer built in as part of the way they work. Plasma would suffer the same losses as CRT.
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

PalmerTech is right and just to add: Not all lcd's are directly compatible with planarsetups either! The ideal is getting monitors which have 45° polarizationangle since the mirror will mirror one screen from 45° to 135° angle. If they have 0 or 90° the mirror will not reverse polarization directly but the rig can relatively easy be modded to work anyway using retarders and polarizers (still have to cover the entire screen). There are explanations around mtbs3d on how to do this as well, just have to find them. :oops:
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D

Return to “Do it Yourself!”