[REQ] Home made HMD - FPV design and Build help/advice

Tutorials on how to create your own rigs, pics, movies, and everything that has to do with S-3D at home!
Tamiyacowboy
One Eyed Hopeful

[REQ] Home made HMD - FPV design and Build help/advice

Post by Tamiyacowboy »

Hello MTBS3D

I have been flying - driving radio controlled cars and aircraft since the early 80's.
around 4 years ago i stumbled blind into quadcopters and drones and cut my teeth somewhat
learning very basic arduino , so i could get the craft to fly.

i also have an avid addiction to games, driving and flight sim like games ( eve-online, but alas no valkyrie )
so i decided it was time i should bring my gaming and my other hobby of flying together.
i would like to build my HMD but have the ability to also use a VTX-VRX so i can use my headset as
my fpv goggles to.

my table is full of parts i have to hand

hb070NA-01d TFT LCD 1024x600
PCB800099-v.9 LCD driver controller ( rtd2660H chip)
ITG3205 3-axis MEMS gyro - MPU6050 6 axis gyro/accel with Motion Processing Unit - HMC5883L 3-axis digital magnetometer populated pcb with a atmega 328p
Colorcross headset for 4.5"-6" smartphones.

i have already cased up the LCD, i used a old DVD case as it had some nice little tabs inside to hold the screen flush and nicely
it also allows for me to keep the ribbon and lcd ribbon connector adaptor out of the way to.
My problem lays with how i fit the screen to the headset at the correct distance so i can see nearly both edges of the screen.
everything i have done i loose around 2cm+ on each side ( left right) of the screen.
I can just make out the top of the lcd but the bottom is way beyond the fov . I just cannot get this screen lined up correct at all.

Oculus stuff. i am not very clever at all this flashing firmware -edid - eeprom etc etc. i struggled with the very basic arduino stuff.
so have hunted with the best of my googlefu to find software that would allow me to split my screen into side by side, But my search has come up fruitless.
everything i have seen is more aimed at the oculus rift system and nothing more.

so this is where i am at this time, fairly clueless at what i am doing and where i should be heading and how.
so i have to to the MTBS3D forums as you are in my eyes gurus of VR and 3d for you help and advice.
Tamiyacowboy
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: [REQ] Home made HMD - FPV design and Build help/advice

Post by Tamiyacowboy »

Back again.

reading up lots more about edid flashing and i have a quick question.
i have noticed some litte clamp like devices, they look more like a washing clothes peg.
and looks like they fit ontop of the eeproms when still fitted to the pcb.

my question is, could i use one of these testers/clamps. hook it to my arduino uno
and push the bin file from pc into the arduino and flash the eeprom on the lcd controller ?

it saves me learning to make and solder a spoofer and programmer, it also means i do not have to de-solder the eeprom from lcd controller to.
most of my googling of arduino has come up with tutorials on using the eeproms to extend the arduino memory, but nothing about using it as a programmer/flasher

Added some pictures of my HMD. the dvd case works a treat, and i found an old sweet tub that fits just right when hotglued to the dvd case.
Kjolby
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Kjolby »

Hey yours looks pretty good. Did you ever hear from anyone on the EDID info?

I just saw yours and noticed it is surprisingly similar to mine so far. I had to carve extra room to widen the eye range. That was a huge pain, but now I can at least see 3D previews well in Youtube. However, any demos and software are not reacting well and I cannot seem to configure my view correctly (e.g. proper image convergence).

For the viewing software, I have had minimal success getting Perception/Vireio to work. The software seems to be a pain for anything but the Oculus, and even the Oculus is difficult to setup properly.

I'm getting concerned this won't work out at all though. This post suggests even with EDID spoofing, DK1 is no longer supported:
http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.p ... id#p159323
^Note the above has a good suggestion, ask eBay sellers of dummy EDID emulators if they can upload a custom EDID. Of course, one would need the EDID...

I guess so long as Vireio and the demos work, we can always use an old runtime, like this one:
https://developer.oculus.com/downloads/

Let me know how things have worked out for you, I'm interested to hear if you go the EDID issue resolved.
LuckyDay
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by LuckyDay »

I'm building a similar HMD at the moment to what the OP posted, I'm wondering what he used for the front piece to house the LCD, but it doesn't look like he's active anymore.

*Edit, I see now it was a DVD case. Interesting, maybe not as sturdy as I would like it to be..

Anyone else mod a ColorCross and have suggestions?
Kjolby
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Kjolby »

Sorry didn't see this until now :-( Posting in case someone else lands here and wanted a lead.

Mine was also a ColorCross, needed to hotglue on foam padding since the mask kind of cut. I just broke the corners wider to fit a 7" screen, works for me though. Also had to use electrical tape down the middle to separate the left/right screen, otherwise my eyes could see the other screen within the mask, very distracting. The headtracker on mine was will1384's design combining the drotek.fr MPU6000 & STM32F103C8T6. Picture and more on that in this thread:
http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.p ... &start=160

Return to “Do it Yourself!”