wireless HMD

Tutorials on how to create your own rigs, pics, movies, and everything that has to do with S-3D at home!
stan4vr
One Eyed Hopeful

wireless HMD

Post by stan4vr »

Hi guys,
Spent already quite a lot of time to try to find right components to build wireless self contained HMD but stil not sure what and where to get it.
Want to get some advice from experienced folks here ;o)

I'm thinking about gear VR like device but self contained with integrated hardware not with sliding phone inside. All rendering must be happening on device itself.
Best seems to me ARM platform and android device due to power management.
I can see constrains more less
- no wires
- powerful board probably with Snapdragon and Adreno?
- power source must be battery
- needs high quality IMU, best integrated on the board.
- High resolution display over 600 ppi ?

best I found so far is this but no IMU and most importantly not available to buy. Also not sure if you can just plug it on battery source just like that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzQy2_8UdQM

Found many Android prototyping boards and dev kits but all are not very powerfull and not high enough graphics resolution.

What's your view on this? do you know about boards that can sattisfy this requirements?

Thanks for help.

Stan
Stefan2k4
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: wireless HMD

Post by Stefan2k4 »

I don't most devices capable of doing the real time on board rendering your going to need are going to be small low power devices. Even modern PCs with high end graphic cards have trouble with high resolutions especially if you want stereoscopic.
stan4vr
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by stan4vr »

Stefan2k4 wrote:I don't most devices capable of doing the real time on board rendering your going to need are going to be small low power devices. Even modern PCs with high end graphic cards have trouble with high resolutions especially if you want stereoscopic.
Hi, yep I know the rendering power will be limited in compare with PC but we have done some apps for GearVR and that is "just" a phone. It's rendering capabilities are just OK. It's true that we had to sacrifice stereo to render less geometry. Still its quite impressive.
So looking to create embeded GearVR basically.
konstantin_lozev
Cross Eyed!

Post by konstantin_lozev »

A dedicated ARM Android device could fix many of the heat dissipation and power saving issues and related throttling that a regular phone would have, on top of having a much better set of IMUs.

Return to “Do it Yourself!”