DIY VR walking system

Tutorials on how to create your own rigs, pics, movies, and everything that has to do with S-3D at home!
Tova
One Eyed Hopeful

DIY VR walking system

Post by Tova »

Hi all,
My name is Tova and I homemade my personal VR walking system because I can't wait for omni or virtualizer and because I love made things myself.
I used allumninum profiles.
You can jump, sit and turn around.
I used kinects xbox360 for detect the positions and movement and wiimote for controller.
I used it with oculus DK2.
it's first prototype and need some adjustment but It works well.
I am waiting for your comment .... :)

Tova
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
leoburton
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: DIY VR walking system

Post by leoburton »

Hi Tova

Great omnidirectional treadmill! Are you using the kinect for game control? Can you show us some video?

I can't seem to click on the pictures for a closer look.

I'm also building an ODT. I bought a 22inch bike rim for the support, as I can see you have a bike wheel as well. What are you using to slide the harness around it?

Is that a wooden baseplate?

You welded together all the profiles, is it height adjustable?

Very good job, I want to see more!
Tova
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Tova »

Hi , leoburton,

thank you for your reply !!
I use kinect but there is some latency...so I now searching an indipendent solution like usb pcb with sensor in the baseplate and potentiometer in the ring and in the colums.
I am a fat man so I used a 26" bike rim and I use 4 small rubber wheels inserted in the external C section of the rim; so the rim is also supported by the wheels and can rotate freely.
the baseplate is wooden painted smooth and I use silicon oil to made it more slippery. it works weel.
All the structures are screwed togheter and not solder because i can adjust all dimension...its a prototipe and was difficult define all dimension at the first.
the internal ring can rotate but also can go up and down for jump and sitdown and i use 4 elastic cord to hold up the internal structure linked to the rim.
Now I don't have videos ..but when I made I will post.

ciao
Tova
leoburton
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by leoburton »

Tova wrote:Hi , leoburton,

I use kinect but there is some latency...so I now searching an indipendent solution like usb pcb with sensor in the baseplate and potentiometer in the ring and in the colums.
I am a fat man so I used a 26" bike rim and I use 4 small rubber wheels inserted in the external C section of the rim; so the rim is also supported by the wheels and can rotate freely.
the baseplate is wooden painted smooth and I use silicon oil to made it more slippery. it works weel.
All the structures are screwed togheter and not solder because i can adjust all dimension...its a prototipe and was difficult define all dimension at the first.
the internal ring can rotate but also can go up and down for jump and sitdown and i use 4 elastic cord to hold up the internal structure linked to the rim.

ciao
Tova
Thanks for the reply.

can you show some close up pictures of the wheels holding the harness to the rim? I am keen to see that. My other option would be to buy a Lazy Susan mechanism, but that is expensive. I am trying to keep my ODT price very low.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/24-inch- ... 83645.html
Tova
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Tova »

leoburton wrote:
Tova wrote:Hi , leoburton,

ciao
Tova
Thanks for the reply.

can you show some close up pictures of the wheels holding the harness to the rim? I am keen to see that. My other option would be to buy a Lazy Susan mechanism, but that is expensive. I am trying to keep my ODT price very low.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/24-inch- ... 83645.html
I post a photo of one wheel (are four in total ) that support the rim and give it the possibility to turn.
Tova
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Daniel
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Daniel »

Hi Tova.
Awesome prototype! I will be keeping an eye on this. Looking forward to updates.
Hannibalj2
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Hannibalj2 »

Bloody Nice! :shock:
Portal Dual 180+ HFOV HMD: http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=18335

PORTAL DUAL VR, Downloads: http://hannibalj2.jimdo.com/
Tova
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Tova »

Hi All,
a little video.:

http://youtu.be/tVdiI-DdbqY

ciao Tova

Return to “Do it Yourself!”