Help! How to watch SBS 3D movies with Nexus 7 HMD?

Tutorials on how to create your own rigs, pics, movies, and everything that has to do with S-3D at home!
volkuss
One Eyed Hopeful

Help! How to watch SBS 3D movies with Nexus 7 HMD?

Post by volkuss »

Hi guys,

Recently I've built my first HMD using Nexus 7 2013 and couple of lenses (5x 60mm convex...but seems it's 3x, because the focus is about 85 mm).
It works perfectly with DiveCityCoaster and Cardboard apps.
My goal was to watch 3D SBS movies, so I installed MXPlayer which allows to make custom aspect ratio, set it to 16x4.5, downloaded some 3d sbs demos like Samsung Explore 3D and some movie trailers there, but the result was - two separate pictures.
Youtube 3D SBS videos, SBS pictures produces same result.
I have no chance to try my HMD with PC via screen sharing.

So...what am I missing??

And another question:
Does the separator between the eyes needed? AFAIK it is in Google Cardboard and in Oculus Rift or even yay3d has it. But there's no such in Nexulous Thrift or in Rod Furlan's VR
D4N13L
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: Help! How to watch SBS 3D movies with Nexus 7 HMD?

Post by D4N13L »

Hi. I think your problem has to do with convergence. The space between the lenses needs to be right relative to your IPD and the content you are viewing for the images to align or converge correctly. It looks like you should be able to make a new "face piece" or lens holder for your head mount and you should try a different spacing. Trial -> Error... until Success. Good luck :)
adf2006
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by adf2006 »

I had the same issue last year when I built my first HMD with my 2012 Nexus. My solution was to run Splashtop to stream the desktop to the Nexus. There is surprisingly light lag on a decent wifi network.

To play the stereoscopic SBS movie on the PC you can either use VR Player (free) or Stereoscopic Player (requires a license, but is worth every penny.) I recommend VR player in this instance because it has more settings available to customize for your DIY HMD. I did not worry about getting tracking since I just wanted to watch a movie. Of course having a rift now I can't imagine any uses without headtracking, but it's a good way to get an idea. You can set custom values for the barrel distortion and chromatic aberration to get it looking better on your custom headset. You can also adjust horizontal offset, which may be a quick fix to your separation issues, but maybe not. I'd have to think it through more deeply.

Let me know if you get that to work or have any questions!
Rec0iL
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Rec0iL »

can you give me a screenshot?
and try out https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... nema&hl=en
it works great for me...
i've bought the pro version but the free here is enough to try

Return to “Do it Yourself!”