FOV on HMD

Tutorials on how to create your own rigs, pics, movies, and everything that has to do with S-3D at home!
Mux213
One Eyed Hopeful

FOV on HMD

Post by Mux213 »

Hi All,

Crazy thing that I'm wondering about.

If I understand correctly from what I have read so far (and I may not have seeing I'm new to this) one of the limiting factors that determine the FOV with a rift style HMD is due to the border where the left eye and right eye image meet. This pretty much determined the maximum distance the LCD screen can be and limits its FOV. If you would widen the FOV the left eye would start seeing part of the right eyes screen and visa versa.

But what if you would use a parallax filter to stop this from happening? Not too practical with an LCD screen but possible with an HMD where you use two picoprojectors that project the image on a screen. Each picoprojector would have a parallax barrier and each lens would have one to ensure the left eye sees the image the left projector produces and the right the right.
It would also mean the weight of the HMD could be concentrated to the sides of the HMD and a lightweight simply screen would take the place of a 'heavy' LCD.

Stupid idea?

Cheers,

Bastiaan Olij
brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Re: FOV on HMD

Post by brantlew »

The inner portion where the left and right eyes meet is not problematic. Solved with a simple physical barrier. The outer fov however is limited by both the edge of the lens and the edge of the screen.
Hannibalj2
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Re: FOV on HMD

Post by Hannibalj2 »

You could gain more FOV, with more magnification lenses. But if you do, you will loose some active pixels and will see more prominent screen door.

Hence why 2 lcds will likely provide considerable larger fov if designed correctly.
Portal Dual 180+ HFOV HMD: http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=18335

PORTAL DUAL VR, Downloads: http://hannibalj2.jimdo.com/

Return to “Do it Yourself!”