HDI's 100-inch, laser-driven 3D HDTV gets $10k to $15k price

Find a good article? Got a news story to share? VR, AR, 3D...it's all good! No self promotion please.
Silversurfer
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

HDI's 100-inch, laser-driven 3D HDTV gets $10k to $15k price

Post by Silversurfer »

Thought Mitsubishi's LaserVue set was pricey? Hah. HDI, the California startup with dreams of producing a 100-inch 3D HDTV that's driven by lasers, has just released the first hint of a price range, and as predicted, it ain't cheap. The set -- which has already been deemed a favorite by The Woz -- has reportedly had its first batch manufactured over in China, and we're told that a smattering of 'em should be available by May. If all goes well, the HDTV should be in full-scale production mode by Christmas of next year, and we've learned that the whole thing will measure around 10-inches thick. Amazingly, it'll also go relatively easy on the power meter, but the $10,000 to $15,000 price estimate is bound to shock some. Of course, Panasonic's own 103-inch 3D HDTV is currently pegged at around $75,000, so when you think of it from that perspective, HDI's offering is a bona fide bargain. And totally worth liquidating your future kid's college fund for.

Via: 3D-Display-Info | Source: San Jose Business Journal : http://sanjose.bizjournals.com/sanjose/ ... %5E2546531" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Article:
http://www.engadget.com/2009/12/12/hdis ... price-tag/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Vicki Thompson
Ingemar Jansson said his company’s 3-D viewing glasses are less likely than other such glasses to cause adverse symptoms like nausea and dizziness.

How much for a kidney on the open market, how much? Not enough in this world recession for even half the needed cash for this 3D Bad Boy. :(
Got a release or 3D news story to share? Email press@mtbs3D.com, and we'll put it up!

BlackShark
Certif-Eyable!

Re: HDI's 100-inch, laser-driven 3D HDTV gets $10k to $15k price

Post by BlackShark »

Owwwwch that's completely out of my budget.

Can't they make something... smaller and more affordable ?
Passive 3D forever !
DIY polarised dual-projector setup :
2x Epson EH-TW3500 (2D 1080p)
Xtrem Screen Daylight 2.0, for polarized 3D
3D Vision gaming with signal converter : VNS Geobox 501
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

A little too rich for my blood, but hey, its progress.
Jadentheman
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Jadentheman »

The best tech but most expensive one ouch!!!

Well I guess Home 3D will never take off if we keep having $10K 3D tvs.
metalqueen
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by metalqueen »

MTBS had a story on HDI Ltd. on the front page in November. Included in the story was an exclusive on internal and formerly unpublicized support documents directly from HDI Ltd.

Check it out here: http://mtbs3d.com/cgi-bin/rss.cgi?news_id=372" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
- Non-profit, non-partisan.
- Features user contributed education sessions, blogs, and content.
- Safe to interact, registration requires formal non-disclosure agreement. Membership list is equally confidential.
- Open to all except press. People can join as individuals or companies.
- People say the industry needs to get together and learn from one another. This is our chance.
koshien
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by koshien »

Wow!
Not that expensive if it ends up costing 10.000 $ (7200 €).
I now know what tv I am buying for the ps4 and once I'll have a job :mrgreen:
Jokes aside (even though that was not a joke, but what I will actually do), the price is really good, too bad there won't be at first a 60-70 inch model...
Hopefully this tv will be sold in Europe too!?! :?: :|
Hope to see it reviewed next year on my audio-video magazine, with the AVATAR blu-ray 3D for example.
Let's not talk about AVATAR...Italy is basically the only country that will have the movie in the theaters only by the 15th of january...damned crappy Italian movies (some of 'em, the ones who get out during Xmas...).
DmitryKo
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by DmitryKo »

Well, I guess that's not much considering MSRP $50000 for the 100" Panasonic TH-103PF10 panel and $7000 for the 65" Mitsubishi L65-A90 LaserVue :twisted:

I'd suggest that HDI wouldn't ever make a more affordable 60"-70" RPTV which would retail for $2000-$3000, because the margin for a 100" $15 000 RPTV device is substantially higher than that of a $3000 RPTV.

As I said in the earlier thread, their goal as a small startup would be to show the viability of the concept return some of the investment by selling a handful of these devices, then to ultimately get bought by a large 3DTV maker that will be able to organize mass production of mainstream RPTVs or projectors. Ideally that would be a company that have already been producing LCoS devices, like Sony (SXRD) and JVC (D-ILA). Until then, you can forget about more affordable 3D screens, if it ever happens.
wnielsenbb
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by wnielsenbb »

I saw a Laservue TV for the first time a few days ago. It really is amazing. Price per inch this is cheaper and you have to consider that besides the lasers you have two LCOS panels and a 3D capable screen. It is very cool technology. Making it smaller would reduce the cost almost nothing. The projection system is almost all the cost, not cabinet it comes in.
Warren.

Return to “User Contributed Immersive Technology News & Announcements”