Zalman - make any 2D movie 3D

Find a good article? Got a news story to share? VR, AR, 3D...it's all good! No self promotion please.
staticbuddha
Cross Eyed!

Zalman - make any 2D movie 3D

Post by staticbuddha »

Some of you may already know about this and some may also think its crap but hey dont knock it till you give it a try I was very pleased with the results.

I have the 22" Zalman and the free stereoscopic player that comes with the monitor which I can comfirm it works on. I guess it will work on the IZ3d to, however I dont know if it comes with a movie player so you may need to purchase the Player from 3dtv.at

Steps
1) Make sure you have stereosocpic player which came with the monitor installed or download the latest version from www.zalman.co.kr for free (ps detects if you have a zalman or not)

2) download the T3 HD video from http://download.microsoft.com/download/ ... 2_1080.exe (This is a standard 2D HD trailer - 115mb in wmv format)

3) Unzip video which should place itself in c:\wmdownloads

3) Open stereoscopic player and goto open left and right file - Then open the left video to what you just downloaded and thn open the right file to the excact same file. ( The movie should start playing and you will notic that it is in 2D)
now press Shift & right around 10 times ( double click on screen to get full size and start video again to appreciate it fuly in 3D)

4) Stick you Polarised glasss on and place yourself in the sweet spot and play from start and at times you should feel depth nd out of screen experiance. I defo felt out of screen experiance with the dvd case part.

5) You may feel that the 3d effect is distorted and so you may want to make your own 3D adjustments
press Ctrl & r to reset 3D effect

Shift & right arrow = increase Horizontal parralex - moves movie deeper inside screen
shift & left arrow = decrease Horizontal parralex - moves movies outside screen
shift & up arrow = Increase Vetical parralex - corrects sme problems
shift & down arrow = decrease parralex - correct some problems

- so also try Ctrl & r to reset then Shift & left arrow 10 times and just have a play

Its kinda cool and well worth a play , enjoy nd please post your results and if you felt any depth remember th best test is when playing th movie i to try an touch it and thn you can see that you percetion is different. ENJOY :)

emmm try thi with xxx it quite good, but try to get HD as poor quality vids kills the feel
(This effect more just gives you depth or out of screen , always try to touch the screen when playing you will then get the true effect)

PS. another great movie clip (use Ctrl & r = reset and shift and left 10 times and play) zip = 60mb hd
http://dl.groovygecko.net/anon.groovy/c ... x1440p.zip
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

This sounds cool. It might not be true stereoscopic, but its an interesting effect with the right material.

I've tried before in the past with limited success, but maybe it was just cause my old PC couldn't handle dual stream well.
LukePC1
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by LukePC1 »

if I understand it right, you change only paralax? That should push your image in the screen or out of it, but it would remain ... completly flat. It can't be realy 3D, because you have two times the same picture...

If these player actually does something with the stream, I'd be surprised. There are some (expencive and not well working) converters to make 3D from 2D movies. They try to take horizontal or vertical Movement of the camera and calculate 3D from it - but the brain does something similar, too.
This won't help when the camera is on a tripod.

edit:
I didn't find the player, but I assume stereoscopic player is deliverd with the monitore, right? Is it that player?
Play Nations at WAR with this code to get 5.000$ as a Starterbonus:
ayqz1u0s
http://mtbs3d.com/naw/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

AMD x2 4200+ 2gb Dualchannel
GF 7900gs for old CRT with Elsa Revelator SG's
currently 94.24 Forceware and 94.24 Stereo with XP sp2!
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

It uses the parallax effect I think. Basically you just delay one stream by a frame. I think thats what 'staticbuddha' is adjusting with the SP hot-keys. So if you are watching a clip with horizontal movement you delay the right stream by one frame and it "appears" 3d due to the difference in the angle. I mean, if the speed on the camera pan was perfect, then it is really stereoscopic. But then if it moves the other way you need to switch the eyes. Thats basically what all those "2D-3D converting" black-boxes do I think. Thats only going to really work with the right movement. On a static shot it can't really do that much aside from changing the position of the virtual image.
pixel67
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by pixel67 »

You may also want to give the TriDef Player a shot as it also does 2D to 3D conversion without a lot of button pressing. The effect is quite believable, but not perfect. It supports every last display profile under the sun including page flipping and line interlaced so it should also work with the Zalman. Demo split screen mode is free so you can try it out without spending any money. In the past i recorded 2D movies of Ultimate Coaster and replayed them on the player and it looked nearly as good as regular S3D.
Nvidia 3D Vision Drivers
GTX 280/SLI
Optoma Pro350W
Xpand X102 Glasses
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

I've tried this and it's true it only gives a flat screen (horisontal paralax adjusted). It's kinda cool though that the visual screen appears in front of or (most with my like) back of the actual screen. I used to do this in the graphicdriver by adjusting both projectors. Cool effect though. Nowadays i watch movies with one beamer and without glasses.
Fake "3D": By delaying a frame on one of the eyes you get a kinda Pulfrich effect which in some case looks 3d but personally i find it very disturbing and not a nice experience.

cheers
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
nubie
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by nubie »

I was going to look into the Tridef player, but does it support Planar?

Planar is basically Dual output, but with one of the outputs flipped left to right (like in a mirror).
Okta
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by Okta »

I dont have one of these but it sounds like crap :)

Return to “User Contributed Immersive Technology News & Announcements”