MIT Team Developing Eye-Catching, Super Realistic 6-D Imagin

Find a good article? Got a news story to share? VR, AR, 3D...it's all good! No self promotion please.
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

MIT Team Developing Eye-Catching, Super Realistic 6-D Imagin

Post by yuriythebest »

http://gizmodo.com/5035198/mit-team-dev ... ing-device

although the wording sounds very interesting, and also the fact that it's a passive solution is a very good thing, that promises 'real' holographs I still have great difficult understanding how this solution will beat the stereoscopic projector rigs that already exist today and that many people here already use on a day to day basis. Please someone with more technical knowledge explain this in lamens terms for me.
Oculus Rift / 3d Sucks - 2D FTW!!!
LukePC1
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by LukePC1 »

Sounds a little like a S-3D monitor, that has a different view if you slide to the side and has no reflections.

Some times I can see out of the window when looking at my monitor. So strong does it reflect! And it's just a normal CRT and nothing polarized!
Play Nations at WAR with this code to get 5.000$ as a Starterbonus:
ayqz1u0s
http://mtbs3d.com/naw/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

AMD x2 4200+ 2gb Dualchannel
GF 7900gs for old CRT with Elsa Revelator SG's
currently 94.24 Forceware and 94.24 Stereo with XP sp2!
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

LukePC1 wrote:Sounds a little like a S-3D monitor, that has a different view if you slide to the side and has no reflections.

Some times I can see out of the window when looking at my monitor. So strong does it reflect! And it's just a normal CRT and nothing polarized!
positioning is key. of course if your window is behind (in front of) the screen it'll reflect it. With the iz3d even though it is almost like a dark mirror when positioned correctly the reflections are hardly noticeable.
LukePC1

Post by LukePC1 »

Ok didn't think about that, but it is still an advantage to be able to place the screen everywhere. Especially if the rom needs to have place for many screens :D
Play Nations at WAR with this code to get 5.000$ as a Starterbonus:
ayqz1u0s
http://mtbs3d.com/naw/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

AMD x2 4200+ 2gb Dualchannel
GF 7900gs for old CRT with Elsa Revelator SG's
currently 94.24 Forceware and 94.24 Stereo with XP sp2!
Okta

Post by Okta »

Now the good news is this device will be on display in a raw, low resolution form next week. The bad news? A working, high res model, with all its interactive, true hologram goodness, is some 10 years away. My Princess Leia rescue fantasies will have to wait another decade, it would seem.
Not impressed.
funkee
Cross Eyed!

MIT results

Post by funkee »

The idea of the MIT team is that if you look at a perfect hologram, it does not appear to be in the same room as yourself, since the content of the picture does not change according to the lighting in the room. They have thought of a way in which they can change the content (passively!) not only according to where you are standing (your 'average' autostereo display) but also according to what lighting is BEHIND the display. So you can make it seem as if the object in the picture is being illuminated according to some lighting source behind the display. The goal is to make the object on the screen seem more real and part of your actual surroundings.
The practical use is maybe somewhat limited since it's only about light coming from behind (which is a little difficult in TV's that are hung on the wall). It would probably seem more natural for a signage application.
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

yup. I think if you want to display a 3d model or something like in a gallery that could be useful, but for games this would actually be a BAD thing since you don't want game levels to be lit up according to your room- that would not make visual sense.

Return to “User Contributed Immersive Technology News & Announcements”