LG's 20-inch DX2000 3D monitor don't need no glasses

Find a good article? Got a news story to share? VR, AR, 3D...it's all good! No self promotion please.
Silversurfer
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

LG's 20-inch DX2000 3D monitor don't need no glasses

Post by Silversurfer »

By Darren Murph posted Jul 14th 2011 12:15AM

In our experience, soaking in the third dimension on a panel smaller than 40-some-odd inches isn't exactly a jaw-dropping affair, but if you're residing in cramped quarters... well, your options are somewhat limited. Outside of strapping something on your dome, you'll probably be in the market for a more diminutive set, and LG's DX2000 just might fit the bill. It's a 20-inch LED-backlit 3D monitor, but unlike the legions of alternatives, this one's of the glasses-free variety. It relies on parallax barrier technology (read: not the most sophisticated), but ups the ante by throwing in the world's first eye-tracking feature on a panel of this stature. In theory, said feature allows users to move about in front of the screen, perhaps expanding those exceedingly narrow "sweet spots" that have worried viewers for years now. We're also told that there's a 2D-to-3D conversion feature, and while it's destined to hit Korean streets later this month, other regions are slated to get it during the latter part of 2011.
Show full PR text

Akihabara News

http://www.engadget.com/2011/07/14/lgs- ... -be-enjoy/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Got a release or 3D news story to share? Email press@mtbs3D.com, and we'll put it up!

europanorama
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: LG's 20-inch DX2000 3D monitor don't need no glasses

Post by europanorama »

D2000 outside southkorea where DX2000 will already be available this month july 2011.

Eyetracking-Autostereo
http://www.photoscala.de/Artikel/LG-zei ... e-Tracking" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13534" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.3dreal.tk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.stereopan.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Under reconstruction
3DStereo-Media
Aero-Marspanoramas
Innovative Online-Display
AntiCatalyst
Cross Eyed!

Post by AntiCatalyst »

I've been waiting for this :-) it's probably the future of desktop 3d gaming.

But when will they make one with 2x horizontal resolution? Or a lenticular screen that doesn't waste any light?
"This is great!"
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

It sounds good. But I don't think you'll get any pop out. I think It will give results on the same level as the nintendo 3ds. It might not give the "I'm there" kinda 3D. But I would have to see it first.

what happened to the buy it now button?
cheers
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Panasonic Plasma VT25 50" (Full HD 3D)
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
Serving up my own 3D since 1996.
(34) Patents
tritosine5G
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by tritosine5G »

I bet the latest LG rebloat is much more interesting than any of the actual autostereo progress.
like EIZO 's
http://www.eizo.com/global/products/vid ... index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
or 3M Vikuti ...

-eye tracking...this is getting ridiculous guys you should notice it. When was the last time LG invented something? And some ppl think they'll sell you OLED and what not . u-g-h-
-Biased for 0 Gen HMD's to hell and back must be one hundred percent hell bent bias!
AntiCatalyst
Cross Eyed!

Post by AntiCatalyst »

tritosine2k wrote:I bet the latest LG rebloat is much more interesting than any of the actual autostereo progress.
like EIZO 's
http://www.eizo.com/global/products/vid ... index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
or 3M Vikuti ...

-eye tracking...this is getting ridiculous guys you should notice it. When was the last time LG invented something? And some ppl think they'll sell you OLED and what not . u-g-h-
Eye (position) tracking may not be a new invention, but this IS the first desktop display to use it. Things don't have to be new inventions to be good, game-changing products. Just look at the iPhone.
Chiefwinston wrote:It sounds good. But I don't think you'll get any pop out. I think It will give results on the same level as the nintendo 3ds. It might not give the "I'm there" kinda 3D. But I would have to see it first.
Popout is a factor of separation, convergence and object distance. The actual display technology used to feed each eye its own image is not part of that equation.

That said, the 3ds is popout-free because nintendo wants it to be. ;)
"This is great!"
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

I got 20 bucks that says you'll have from the screen plane inward 3D. Or at most a very slight raised 3D, approximately 1" off the screen plane. effectively, no pop out. I have my doubts this tech is as effective as passive or active glasses 3D.

cheers everyone
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
(34) Patents
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Glasses or glasses-free has nothing to do with pop-out. You can have pop-out with any system given the right content.
tritosine5G
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by tritosine5G »

Well , given they sell a webcamera as eye tracking ( joke of the year, I'd call it head siluette tracking) , Im not sure they won't limit the pop out . Especially as the spec are bad. Maybe they use the webcam to eliminate nausea inducing 3d on the fly, quite possible if you think about it, reformat everyting for autostereo.

Tablets sweep this away anyway.
-Biased for 0 Gen HMD's to hell and back must be one hundred percent hell bent bias!
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

I've had only a limited exposure to no glasses 3D. I'm sure you can send a signal with all kinds of pop out to this monitor. But from what I've seen you get a non-existant pop out illusion. Now from my limited viewing they go into the screen as deep as you wanna go. Its still cool looking. They just don't have as much immersion from what I've seen. But I'm willing to give this monitor a shot.

cheers everyone
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
(34) Patents
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

The Nintendo 3DS does have popout, just not so much in games. But on the home screen, the activities icon has some nice popup actually (pencils floating in front of the screen).
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

Okay I was searching for a price tag and a location to try this thing out. The price I found was $1200. I really don't know how accurate that is.

cheers everyone
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
(34) Patents

Return to “User Contributed Immersive Technology News & Announcements”