Samsung S-A750/A950 stereo monitors w/DisplayPort

Find a good article? Got a news story to share? VR, AR, 3D...it's all good! No self promotion please.
DmitryKo
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Samsung S-A750/A950 stereo monitors w/DisplayPort

Post by DmitryKo »

http://www.samsung.com/us/news/newsRead ... 76&gltype=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

* 1920x1080, TN+film, Ultra Clear Panel coating
* LED backlight
* 8 models: 23" and 27", A750 and A950 series, S-series and T-series
* Viewing angle 170°/160°
* built-in emitter
* a pair of active shutter glasses included
* stereo middleware included (vendor unspecified)

Monitors (S-series)
* 2 ms pixel response time
* Connectivity on S--A750 : D-sub, HDMI, DisplayPort
* Connectivity on S--A950 : D-sub, HDMI, DisplayPort, Dual link DVI
* S--A950 only: 2D to stereo 3D conversion

HDTV/Monitors (T-series)
* 5 ms pixel response time
* Built-in HDTV tuner
* PIP (picture in picture)
* 2D to stereo 3D conversion
* Connectivity: HDMI, USB 2.0, RF In, Audio Out (Mini Jack), Digital Audio Out (Optical), PC Audio In (Mini Jack), Component In (Y/Pb/Pr), Composite In (AV), Ethernet (LAN), RF In
* Audio Speakers: (2) 7W speakers with Dolby Digital, SRS TheaterSound HD, DTS 2.0 and 3D sound support
* T--A950: Smart TV
* No DisplayPort, VGA, or DVI connectors in the T-series.
BlackShark
Certif-Eyable!

Re: Samsung S-A750/A950 stereo monitors w/DisplayPort

Post by BlackShark »

We thought there were no Display Port 3D displays shown at CES.... So there is one after all !
Passive 3D forever !
DIY polarised dual-projector setup :
2x Epson EH-TW3500 (2D 1080p)
Xtrem Screen Daylight 2.0, for polarized 3D
3D Vision gaming with signal converter : VNS Geobox 501
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Ok, but which inputs are enabled for 3D? Just HDMI 1.4a? DP? What about 120Hz page-flip on Dual Link DVI?
DmitryKo
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by DmitryKo »

My guess is,

* monitor S-series implement DisplayPort and Dual-Link DVI for full-res 120 Hz frame sequential, and also have some half-res formats; and
* monitor/HDTV T-series use HDMI 3D formats, as well as some half-res formats.

That would be an ideal situation that would allow the broadest scope of compatibility with most middleware, but unfortunately, you can't really trust manufacturers to make it right these days.... we'll see in March.
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

If they start supporting DisplayPort, I hope they'll at least support the 3D stereo part of the spec (1080p 60Hz per EYE) for the SA750 since HDMI is quite limited in this regard and DVI won't be supported on this model. That would be logical since they provide both the glasses and an emitter, but who knows...
DmitryKo
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by DmitryKo »

The English-language user manual for S**A950 is available at http://www.samsung.com/ru/consumer/comp ... ab=support" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Some notable features:
  • built-in emitter with one pair of wireless shutter glasses included in the package (SSG-3100); you can purchase additional glasses (model number SSG-M3750CR) for EUR $100
  • the included stereo software is DDD TriDef
  • mandatory HDMI 3D formats (720p50/60 stereo and 1080p24 stereo) are supported
  • 100/120 Hz half-res top-bottom and side-by-side formats are supported over HDMI and DVI
  • 100/120 full-res frame alternative format is supported over dual-link DVI and DisplayPort
  • DisplayPort is limited to 100/120 Hz only, if I read it right 8-|
Last edited by DmitryKo on Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:20 am, edited 3 times in total.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

I assume DDD has a shutter mode that will work with this monitor. But would this theoretically work with the IZ3D shutter mode? Possibly Nvidia with a hack. This monitor could prove very useful.
DmitryKo
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by DmitryKo »

What do you mean "Nvidia with a hack"? This is not a 3D Vision monitor. It comes with DDD Tridef drivers bundle.

This monitor can work with any driver or game using half-res modes. It should also work in full-res frame alternative stereo mode with iZ3D generic 120 Hz driver, even though you would need to select frame alternative mode and L/R or R/L priority. There is a dedicated "3D" button which takes you directly to the stereo settings.

Hopefully 3D Vision Blog makes a test soon and finds no serious issues with ghosting.
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

Here is the ghosting test for the Samsung SyncMaster T27A950 :

And here is a review from Les Numériques, but in French :
http://www.lesnumeriques.com/samsung-sy ... 67_36.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I fail to understand how they can give it 5 stars with that much ghosting, such a low contrast (730:1 when the average is 850:1 on LCD monitors) and such a high input lag (43ms when the average for LCD monitors is 16ms).
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

DmitryKo wrote:What do you mean "Nvidia with a hack"? This is not a 3D Vision monitor.
Hence the "hack". There are ways to get the Nvidia driver to enable without 3D Vision hardware. So assuming you can manually turn the 3D on with the monitor settings, then I imagine it possible to use the Nvidia drivers (not the Nvidia glasses).

@Fredz: Ghosting doesn't look that great. And this:
2D and 3D, it will not be better than the 27-inch Acer ( Acer HN274H ).
DmitryKo
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by DmitryKo »

cybereality wrote:assuming you can manually turn the 3D on with the monitor settings, then I imagine it possible to use the Nvidia drivers (not the Nvidia glasses).
I see.

Ghosting doesn't look that great.
This is T-series (monitor/TV combo), which uses a different (cheaper) display panel and doesn't even have DVI or DisplayPort connectors (so no 120 Hz full-res). I look forward to see a review for the S-series.
BlackShark
Certif-Eyable!

Post by BlackShark »

Fredz wrote:I fail to understand how they can give it 5 stars with that much ghosting, such a low contrast (730:1 when the average is 850:1 on LCD monitors) and such a high input lag (43ms when the average for LCD monitors is 16ms).
The conclusion in french says that it's the best available in the hybrid TV/Monitor category, hence the overall 5 stars, but they also say that future competitors will easily beat it someday.
The LesNumeriques stars are not directly related to the technical measurements, they are given relative to the other displays they have tested.

It's the same website that does DigitalVersus, they should publish the english version within the next few days.
Passive 3D forever !
DIY polarised dual-projector setup :
2x Epson EH-TW3500 (2D 1080p)
Xtrem Screen Daylight 2.0, for polarized 3D
3D Vision gaming with signal converter : VNS Geobox 501
DmitryKo
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by DmitryKo »

A thorough review of SyncMaster S27A950 is available at http://www.fcenter.ru/online.shtml?arti ... tors/31220" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (in Russian).

In short, they found that the L/R shutters are open simultaneously most of the time, but the monitor dims the back-light in between the L/R frames to reduce crosstalk (or the matrix itself goes to black, it wasn't entirely clear from the text). As a result, stereoscopic 3D mode is essentially crosstalk-free in comparison to Nvidia 3D Vision monitors, but at the cost of decreased brightness.

The glasses use the Bluetooth protocol, and use lithium button cells for power (primary, i.e. non-rechargeable battery);

Stereo mode has to be activated manually with monitor controls; there is no automatic communication between the driver and the monitor. DisplayPort 1.1 protocol allows that, so hopefully future firmware and/or driver updates will enable automatic operation.

GtG pixel response times were measured at 4 ms, with zero input lag (at last digital-only connections start to pay off).
DmitryKo
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by DmitryKo »

The same article translated into English on Xbit Labs:
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/monito ... sa950.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Seems like a nice option for AMD GPU owners looking to get a full quality 1080P solution.
DmitryKo
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by DmitryKo »

I'm getting one as soon as it appears in stores, and also getting a Radeon HD7000 to replace my HD4800.

With the rumors that PS4 set for 2012 debut, and Windows 8 in 2012 as well, next year should finally see the coming of stereo 3D to the mass gaming market... at last.
Hopefully it's only a few years before 27" 2560x1440 stereo monitors appear, not to mention brand new 16 nm video chips that can handle such resolution in stereo...
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Cool. Can't wait to hear your thoughts.
DmitryKo
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by DmitryKo »

Confirmed to work flawlessly with iZ3D drivers 1.13 beta and included shutter glasses; need to manually activate 3D mode though (a very minor issue to me).

http://forum.iz3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=5322" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

DimitryKo, I came across this. Go to the posts from RavenMaster. He talks about his experience with your monitor. I have no idea if he knows what hes doing or not. Good luck though.

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=346918" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

cheers everyone
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Panasonic Plasma VT25 50" (Full HD 3D)
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
Serving up my own 3D since 1996.
(34) Patents

Return to “User Contributed Immersive Technology News & Announcements”