Nintendo's Game Boy Advance SP once had an auto-3-D screen

Find a good article? Got a news story to share? VR, AR, 3D...it's all good! No self promotion please.
Silversurfer
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Nintendo's Game Boy Advance SP once had an auto-3-D screen

Post by Silversurfer »

By Sean Hollister posted Jan 11th 2011 6:48PM

It may seem like 3D sprung from the ashes of discontentment -- not to mention red / blue glasses -- but Nintendo never stopped believing. It's been secretly refining stereoscopic tech for years in the likes of the Game Boy Advance and GameCube. And while president Satoru Iwata already mentioned early last year that the GameCube had hidden 3D circuits, he recently revealed that the 3DS's autostereoscopic panel actually dates back to the clamshell Game Boy Advance SP. Which, as you might recall, also once sported a touchscreen. At the time, his story goes, LCD resolution was too low to generate a sharp image, but the optometrist-friendly glasses-free tech was already in place. Of course, if you truly want to consult the history books, you can consider Nintendo's entry into the market to be the Famicom 3D System shutter glasses pictured above... which hit stores in Japan way back in 1986. Yeah, we know. Joystiq
Iwata Asks (Nintendo)

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/11/nint ... pic-scree/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Got a release or 3D news story to share? Email press@mtbs3D.com, and we'll put it up!

Silversurfer
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Re: Nintendo's Game Boy Advance SP once had an auto-3-D scre

Post by Silversurfer »

Nintendo please release this thing already :x
Got a release or 3D news story to share? Email press@mtbs3D.com, and we'll put it up!

cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Forget the 3DS. I want those glasses!
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

You can still find these glasses on e-bay at decent prices, for example :
http://cgi.ebay.com/FAMICOM-3D-SYSTEM-G ... _500wt_719" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But I'd really be wary about their quality, it was a major failure when they were sold by Nintendo (and only in Japan at that time) so I guess their qualities must had been quite questionnable.

Talking about technologies of the past I would really prefer to try the 3D Imager glasses designed for the Vectrex console, as they were using a mechanical system with a spinning disc and could possibly be ghost-free when correctly synchronized to the vertical refresh of a screen.

cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

That looks pretty cool actually. However I am not sure how safe I would feel with quickly spinning blades mounted centimeters from my eyes.
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

I thought you'd been more adventurous as a 3D advocate... ;)
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

Yeah. mechanical shutters would be ghostingless if properly made. I think the caveats beats the advantage of less ghosting: ev. noise, vibrations especially after dropping them once, bulkiness/weight etc. Syncing them is very easy though. At some degree ghosting is low enough to give a great image regardless of content. Dunno exactly what this figure is.
Last edited by Likay on Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
tritosine5G
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by tritosine5G »

me want
http://retro-treasures.blogspot.com/200 ... mager.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

looks so easy!!
http://cgi.ebay.com/VECTREX-MEGA-RARE-3 ... 2a0d4d1e3a" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
-Biased for 0 Gen HMD's to hell and back must be one hundred percent hell bent bias!

Return to “User Contributed Immersive Technology News & Announcements”