35 Phenomenal Photos....IN 3D!(Gizmodo 3d week)

Find a good article? Got a news story to share? VR, AR, 3D...it's all good! No self promotion please.
Silversurfer
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

35 Phenomenal Photos....IN 3D!(Gizmodo 3d week)

Post by Silversurfer »

Put those silly glasses down and prepare to blow your mind (...and possibly get a slight headache). This week's Shooting Challenge is 3 freaking D. To view the photos, just refocus your eyes to merge the white dots.

For anyone who "can't" see the 3D, here's a longer explainer from the comments (rick23) that I thought was pretty good.

1) Look at the white dots so that they look like, er, two white dots.
2) Relax your ocular muscles so that you get double-vision (you can do this, right? I mean sober— everyone can do it when they're drunk...)
3) You should now actually see 4 dots— two on the left and two on the right (you have to use relaxed peripheral awareness to do this; if you try to focus on anything, the two dots will snap back to simply being two dots).
4) Gently nudging your de-focused imaging, try to bring the near left and near right dots into alignment, thus getting one dot in the middle and one dot each on the left and right. (This is kind of tough, and I'm probably used to it because my department's admin puts up those Magic Eye posters on the bulletin board.)
5) Once you've managed (4), simply allow your gaze to float down to the picture below. You should see (peripherally) a picture on the left, and picture on the right, and, more clearly, a picture in the middle. The middle picture is in 3D.
Lead Shot - Getting Ready For Santa

To answer your question, yes... the cookies are as good as they look. Santa won't be disappointed. Canon T2i, ISO 3200, 0EV, f 3.5, 1/30.
-Diego Jimenez
Starecase
Framing was done using powerpoint and saving the slide as a jpeg. Taken with Nikon D40 at 18mm on a tripod.
-Jorge Jimenez

Christmas Tree

As soon as I saw the challenge I knew I had to shoot my christmas tree. I know that you will receive tons of photos with christmas trees on it, but it just looks so good! I love stereograms and I had fun taking the shots. I used a Nikon D90 on a tripod with the 18-55 (kit) lenses, F11 and 6s of shutter speed.
-Pedro Vasconcellos

Midnight In The Dressmaker's Shop
This is a shot of dressmaker's forms in storage. Ordinarily I've found these to be a bit disturbing on their own; shooting them in the darkened room - illuminated solely by a Maglite flashlight - only heightened their imposing quality. I'd originally had entirely different ideas for this shooting challenge, but I couldn't resist trying these as a quick experiment. Once I assembled the images in PS, I couldn't help but feel creeped out by their 'Silent Hill' vibe! Nikon D5000 (VR 18-55mm kit lens), f/11, 6 sec. shutter.
-Brian Rowe

The Horrors That Ensue When Man Plays God
I just wanted to see if I could get the effect to work on a macro shot. I didn't use a tripod. I just rested my hands on the table and used the focus points in the viewfinder as guides to make sure the horizontal alignment was the same in both shots. I shot other poses and angles I preferred, but this one created the best 3D effect. It was difficult trying to get enough light for working with such a small aperture while keeping the ISO low, but i think I found the best possible balance for the amount of light I had to work with (two desk lamps). Shot with a Canon Rebel XSi and the 18-55mm kit lens reverse mounted @ 35mm, ISO 200, Shutter Speed 1/60, Aperture f/16.
-Esmer Olvera

Winner - Portrait
This was shot with a pair of Canon G7's synchronized with SDM. The exposure was 1/250 at f/4 and ISO 80.
-Robert Anderson

I know 3D can be a gimmick, but the added dimension just brings out so much character (as well as texture detail) in shots like 'Portrait' that I refuse to imagine a future without its prominence. In the meantime, I'm off to pop some ibuprofen. You can find full-size versions on flickr, but you may need to back up a big from the monitor to actually view them.

Gallery (one-page view)http://gizmodo.com/5714794/shooting-cha ... -gallery-1

http://gizmodo.com/5715632/35-phenomena ... Gizmodo%29" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Got a release or 3D news story to share? Email press@mtbs3D.com, and we'll put it up!

cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: 35 Phenomenal Photos....IN 3D!(Gizmodo 3d week)

Post by cybereality »

Nice that they are posting 3d photos, but parallel? Come on now. Its so much easier to do cross-eye. This is just going to make people frustrated.
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

Dito. I also have a lot easier to look at crossview images directly. Parallell images needs to very small (these are way too big on a 22" screen to manage it, at least for me). I do know it's the other way around for others.
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
BlackShark
Certif-Eyable!

Post by BlackShark »

I can't do cross-eyed. I only manage to do parallel. Weird isn't it ?
Passive 3D forever !
DIY polarised dual-projector setup :
2x Epson EH-TW3500 (2D 1080p)
Xtrem Screen Daylight 2.0, for polarized 3D
3D Vision gaming with signal converter : VNS Geobox 501
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

I had difficulties going cross eyed at first too, although I've been able to easily use parallel vision for years. But now I can go crossed eyes as easily by using a technique I found by accident, it has probably already been know by other people before me I guess.

My technique was to maintain my head perfectly still with my hands, then crossing my eyes more than what the images needed. Then I relaxed my eyes a little bit to have the two images fitting correctly horizontally, while keeping a correct vertical alignment using my hands. Then the central image slowly became clear and correctly focused.

Practising this technique often did help me to view cross eyed images without using my hands later. Maybe you should give this technique a try...

Return to “User Contributed Immersive Technology News & Announcements”