Konami's 3DS dating simulator uses facial recognition

Find a good article? Got a news story to share? VR, AR, 3D...it's all good! No self promotion please.
Silversurfer
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Konami's 3DS dating simulator uses facial recognition

Post by Silversurfer »

you can now at least count on yet another unique gaming experience not found on other handheld systems. Konami recently announced that its "Project Loveplus" dating simulator for the system will not only take advantage of the system's 3D capabilities, but that it will also include a so-called "boyfriend lock" that uses facial recognition to prevent any virtual cheating. Apparently, if someone else picks up your 3DS and tries to play the game, your virtual girlfriend will act confused and respond with phrases like "who are you?" -- which, incidentally, is a question you might also want to ask yourself before looking for ways to import the game from Japan (yeah, don't count on this one being released over here).

[youtube]<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qs8HRmqjfxE&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qs8HRmqjfxE&hl ... &version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></embed></object>[/youtube]
Got a release or 3D news story to share? Email press@mtbs3D.com, and we'll put it up!

yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Re: Konami's 3DS dating simulator uses facial recognition

Post by yuriythebest »

This product is specifically designed for the "japanese mentality" - while we may view it as a curiosity it's only in Japan (and compatible) countries where it'll truly take off.
Oculus Rift / 3d Sucks - 2D FTW!!!
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: Konami's 3DS dating simulator uses facial recognition

Post by cybereality »

This game looks awesome. I wish US developers would make stuff like this (or better yet, I wish I just spoke Japanese). However I don't understand how they are using the 3DS in portrait mode. Doesn't the 3D effect only work in the landscape orientation? Why would they design a game for a 3D system to be used in a way that ruined the 3D effect? Unless the Sharp screen can dynamically switch the barrier (which should be possible, but I didn't hear about it).

Return to “User Contributed Immersive Technology News & Announcements”