Vireio Perception v4 Release Thread

This forum is for the brand new Vireio Perception virtual reality drivers. History in the making!
EisernSchild
Vireio Perception Developer

Vireio Perception v4 Release Thread

Post by EisernSchild »

Vireio Perception v4

(Note : This is the release thread, for troubleshooting please post in "Vireio Perception 4.x Alpha 1 Support Thread" !)

1) What's new ?

Two years ago, after releasing Vireio v2.1, we more and more planned for DX11 and to add additional devices and options to the driver. The problem was that Vireio in its state was a pure hard-coded driver, adding all the things we wanted would have ended in a mess.
So eventually we needed a plugin based architecture to involve that all. But we even wanted more, we wanted a GUI based on so called >Nodes<, a very versatile system you maybe know from several good tools out there. This should help immensely in creating new game profiles.
And this new solution was now created in 2014-2015 and is called "Aquilinus : 3D Modification Studio". It's fully based on node-based-plugins, Vireio Perception itself now divides into several nodes. We will introduce Aquilinus by creating a good tutorial section so anyone with advanced Direct3D knowledge should soon be able to create game profiles for his favorite games.
After that we startet DX11 and could provide the first YouTube demo video in autumn 2015. For DX11 we faced huge troubles. There was multi-threading. There were all shader stages we had to care for : especially the Geometry Shader and the Compute Shader showed up as riddles.
So this is all done now, writing a list about all new features for the new architecture would far exceed the common size for a thread-comment here, so here are just the basic news:
- fully based on plugin-nodes, fully versatile graphical (openGL) workspace beside the actual game to provide the best possible VR game profiles (can be used for non-VR modifications too)
- full DX11 support including latest top titles, DX9 support for the new architecture coming soon
- positional tracking now done via VRBoost, our well known solution for tracking

2) Which games ?? Fallout 4 -> Vireio 4 !!

Yes, we did it !! Dedicated to Todd, Uncle Pete and the whole Bethesda Team !!
Fallout 4 in Full VR !! Two years ago we finished the best VR profile for Skyrim, since we all wanted to play Skyrim in VR. And since Bethesda announced Fallout 4 last year we were fully focused on that game, since we know that anyone out there - including ourselves - wants to play it in VR !
So, for startup we only have one title, that is not much. But you can be sure that several top AAA titles will be supported soon !!
Unfortunately the "old" driver architecture is now deprecated, we will immediately add Dx9 to support all games we already supported. Especially for Skyrim i promise here to create an eventual game profile that also fully works on AMD cards !!

3) Performance / Graphics

For Open World games (Fallout 4, Just Cause 3,...) it is highly recommended to install the game on an SSD. On a common HD you encounter huge performance breaks caused by loading times.
Following GPU settings are currently not supported and need to be disabled:
Ambient Occlusion
Depth Of Field
Radial Blur
Water Reflections
Decals
(for Fallout 4 please use the >Fallout 4 Tweaker< by Bilago)
Beside that performance is overally good !
If you're good in improving game performance, in tweaking game settings, please help us in the official Vireio forums at MTBS to create the best performance settings for supported games. (You can also contact us directly in this case)

4) Supported HMDs

Vireio Perception v4 supports following HMDs (only direct mode supported):
- OSVR : tested on Razer HDK - FoV automatically set to 121° to match V 90° H 90° FoV
- Oculus : (latest SDK supported: 1.3.1)
tested on DK1 - does not work on newest SDK, but 0.8 dlls still attached
tested on DK2 - FoV automatically set to 121° to match V 90° H 105° FoV
tested on CV1 - FoV automatically set to 116° to match V 84° H 93° FoV
- HTC : Vive - ASAP, test device is here within the next days !!!

5) The Vireio Cinema (upcoming)

My bro Oliver, Senior Game Artist, already modeled a great looking cinema room for Vireio ! Watch MTBS regulary for news here !!

6) And this is free ?

Yes, Vireio Perception is fully free to download on MTBS3D.com.
To be honest, Vireio Perception is an Emulator. We call it a Driver since it was always called a Driver. And since there is no commercial Emulator out there we think that this Emulator should not be commercial. It is a project done by Virtual Reality enthusiasts for Virtual Reality enthusiasts. And we especially hope to give all Game Developers out there good reasons to add native support to their future games !

7) A Community Driver !

Vireio Perception is a project done from us regularely working people in our spare free time. That is especially why we need YOUR help building a community where people help each other. Beside programming we do not have much time to create all game profiles needed, to help with any issue, to help increasing the game's performance in VR and to test game mods that actually improve VR immersion.
So we hope that YOU all out there regularely visit the Vireio Perception forums at MTBS.com to exchange experiences using the driver. We will start threads for every supported game and hope that you all help us the increase game performance and to generally get the best VR experience out of the games.

Kind Regards, Denis

Links:
(Watch "Neils Messy Basement" Episode 2 on MTBS for the official driver presentation !)
http://www.mtbs3d.com/news-2/14962-35-m ... n-goodness
http://www.mtbs3d.com/news-2/14967-vire ... pha-is-out
(Fallout 4 Tweaker by Bilago)
http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/102/?

Credits : (alphabetical)

Project Leader / Advisor:
Neil Schneider

Programming:
Samuel Austin
Grant Bagwell
Simon Brown
Denis Reischl

Programming (former):
Chris Drain
Andres Hernandez

2D Artwork:
BA Birgit Reischl

3D Artwork (upcoming):
Oliver Reischl
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: Vireio Perception v4 Release Thread

Post by cybereality »

Awesome job and great work!
nalex66
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by nalex66 »

Awesome, I can't wait to try this. one question--is there any way for me to edit the keybinds? I'm a lefty, and I use the numpad keys rather than WASD. I was looking at the Shortcut keys PDF, and I can see that I'm going to be constantly starting the VRBoost memory scanner when I'm running around.

I guess if the binds can't be tweaked, I can disable all shortcut keys while playing, but that will mean I can't easily use the HUD zoom functions.
EisernSchild

Post by EisernSchild »

Hi nalex66!

The Vireio menu will become much simpler than it has been for previous versions. Of course, it also will contain cusomizable hotkeys. We currently work on better solutions for the HUD and GUI and how to link these solutions to Oculus Home, SteamVR and the OSVR classes. I hope in summer we have a real end-user-friendly driver eventually !
FR3D
Cross Eyed!

Post by FR3D »

Cool, :woot

can't wait to try it with my VIVE !

best regards FR3D
best regards FR3D
EisernSchild

Post by EisernSchild »

Hi FR3D !

Good news here : We're close to finish OpenVR (HTC Vive - SteamVR) support ! Next alpha version also includes improved performance (prediction model + asynchronous timewarp/interleaved projection) and a secondary HUD solution for OpenVR, Oculus and OSVR !
wltongling
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by wltongling »

EisernSchild wrote:Vireio Perception v4

Two years ago, after releasing Vireio v2.1, we more and more planned for DX11 and to add additional devices and options to the driver. The problem was that Vireio in its state was a pure hard-coded driver, adding all the things we wanted would have ended in a mess.
Hi EisernSchild,

I checkout Perception code in github just yesterday, but what I could see in the DxProxy, which is main component do the magic, that only directx9 API is parsed. So as you said, fallout4 is directx11 only game, and vireio did a really good job to turn it into stereo mode.

So it make me very confused... How does vireio do the job by treat the D3D9 API only?
Or is there other kind of mechanism to switch D3D11 into D3D9? And how do you get rid of the dynamic shader stage introduced in DX11, like geometry shader?

Thanks,
Lei
wltongling
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by wltongling »

BTW, I didn't find the shader_rules applying to the Fallout4.

Does it mean that Directx11 support in Fallout4 to change the stereo view has turned into another way?
EisernSchild

Post by EisernSchild »

Hi wltongling !

Vireio Perception v4 architecture is now based on plugins. You find these plugins in https://github.com/cybereality/Percepti ... ginSection !!

These plugins are now handled by a new, closed source but free, development tool that is based on nodes. This tool will be revealed whenever the core (including DX9 support) is finished. Advanced users will be able to create their own game profiles for their favorite games, eventually.

Regards, Denis

Return to “Vireio Perception 4.X”