Minecrift Discussion Thread

jf031
Cross Eyed!

Re: Rudimentary Minecraft Rift Support - Is it feasible?

Post by jf031 »

tmek wrote:First off, the stereo rendering looks great in the rift!

However as you suspected the head tracking doesn't work well at all. It usually just seems to spin you around one direction or the other. Pressing CTRL O locks up the game on my machine. (windows 8 64-bit, i7, AMD 5850)

In the mean time is it possible to restore the original mouselook from the game and just have the rift rendering? It woudl be awesome just to be able to look around at stuff with the mouse even without head tracking.

Thanks again for doing this. Great job.
Just don't plug in your Rift's control box's USB, I'd imagine, because mouselook works fine here (no Rift yet).
tmek
Cross Eyed!

Post by tmek »

jf031 wrote:Just don't plug in your Rift's control box's USB, I'd imagine, because mouselook works fine here (no Rift yet).
I tried that at first but it seems the Rift's display panel cuts off / will not come on without the USB plugged in.

However after reading your suggesting I went back and started the game with the USB unplugged and then plugged the USB back in after in the game world. At that point you have full mouselook and be able to see the 3D rendered visuals on the Rift! :)
Last edited by tmek on Sun May 05, 2013 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tmek
Cross Eyed!

Post by tmek »

I made a quick video

Thanks StellaArtois! Great job! Once head tracking and UI are working this is going to suck up a lot of my free time!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ie7YioJDjKU
jf031
Cross Eyed!

Post by jf031 »

tmek wrote:
jf031 wrote:Just don't plug in your Rift's control box's USB, I'd imagine, because mouselook works fine here (no Rift yet).
I tried that at first but it seems the Rift's display panel cuts off / will not come on without the USB plugged in.

However after reading your suggesting I went back and started the game with the USB unplugged and then plugged the USB back in after in the game world. At that point you have full mouselook and be able to see the 3D rendered visuals on the Rift! :)
Cool!
tmek wrote:I made a quick video

Thanks StellaArtois! Great job! Once head tracking and UI are working this is going to suck up a lot of my free time!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ie7YioJDjKU
Why only yaw movement (no pitch) in this video?

If you decide to link such a video to somewhere like Reddit, I suggest that you do a new one with full mouselook, and explain in the video description that head tracking doesn't work yet (and how to use mouselook with the Rift).
unsilentwill
Cross Eyed!

Post by unsilentwill »

I was about to post the same thing, best to not be misleading about full support, same thing happened to Skyrim. People really do expect plug-and-play these days. Once word gets out of Minecraft support it will spread, so try to keep people informed. Probably should say patiently waiting for the whole game to be playable before announcing anything (StellaArtois has been humble, but the rest of us are evangelists for sure).

Exciting that this is going so quickly, but I have a feeling head tracking will be the hard part. It not, hooray!
tmek
Cross Eyed!

Post by tmek »

Here's a better video with some anti-aliasing and mouse-look (I recorded both videos while wearing my rift and hadn't yet figured out how to use mouse-look only on the first one). I'm only posting these here since someone request to see a video earlier, however I made sure to put in the video description that this was a work in progress.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48QJN3PMgwk
Last edited by tmek on Sun May 05, 2013 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
defactoman
Cross Eyed!

Post by defactoman »

Thank you so much for spending your time on this. It's very impressive. Once I got it working and disabled the head tracking I was having a blast. It's amazing how much wearing the rift changes the experience of this game. I made it to nightfall and when i turned around and saw a creeper blow up in my face I was truly amazed.
mrbabbage
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by mrbabbage »

Hey Tmek, is there some other trick to getting mouselook working? Driver etc? I did the thing with only connecting the usb after the game had launched but no luck.
tmek
Cross Eyed!

Post by tmek »

mrbabbage wrote:Hey Tmek, is there some other trick to getting mouselook working? Driver etc? I did the thing with only connecting the usb after the game had launched but no luck.
Hi Mrbabbage, I disconnect the USB then launch the game. Be sure to load a world such that see split screen on your main monitor and can mouse look, then plug the USB cable back in so the RIFT LCD turns back on.
mrbabbage
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by mrbabbage »

Hey Tmek. I'm definitely doing that and it doesn't seem to do anything. I've pressed Ctrl+O a few times but it's definitely not responding to the rift moving around.
jf031
Cross Eyed!

Post by jf031 »

mrbabbage wrote:Hey Tmek. I'm definitely doing that and it doesn't seem to do anything. I've pressed Ctrl+O a few times but it's definitely not responding to the rift moving around.
I might be misinterpreting what you are saying, but my response to the part I've bolded is "exactly."

Head tracking currently doesn't work, and Tmek's method completely disables the Rift's tracking, leaving only actual mouselook (looking around with the mouse, NOT the Rift) enabled. You can only look around with the mouse, currently. The head tracking doesn't work properly, so it is best to disable it.
mrbabbage
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by mrbabbage »

Haha I've derped pretty hard. I had thought it was correlating head movements to mouse movements (moving the head would move the "mouse" which would move the view). Makes a lot more sense now, thanks guys. So if I'm not mistaken the main problem with not getting head tracking working at the moment is getting java to pull in the head tracking data?
tmek
Cross Eyed!

Post by tmek »

mrbabbage wrote:Hey Tmek. I'm definitely doing that and it doesn't seem to do anything. I've pressed Ctrl+O a few times but it's definitely not responding to the rift moving around.
Oh you may be misunderstanding, the author of the mod currently doesn't have his Oculus Rift. He tried to make a guess without having an actual Rift on hand to test with and make the head tracking work however it doesn't quite work yet. What we're doing by unplugging the USB during startup is disabling the head tracking and just using mouse look to play. Basically what you get with that is the large FOV and 3D effect through the Rift display but no Rift head tracking and you just your mouse and keyboard to move and look around like you normally would.
StellaArtois
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by StellaArtois »

Wow, some kind comments guys, for something that basically doesn't work! Thank you! And videos as well. :-)

Anyway I've had my six hour sleep, time to get cracking ;-)
tmek wrote:
StellaArtois wrote:However as you suspected the head tracking doesn't work well at all. It usually just seems to spin you around one direction or the other. Pressing CTRL O locks up the game on my machine.
First up, if you've lost mouse look except for yaw when the rift is plugged in, that's implying that the rift has actually been initialised successfully (or so the oculus lib thinks). So I'm just interpreting the values from the rift incorrectly.

How does the game respond if you:

- Yaw your head from side to side?
- Pitch your head up and down
- Roll your head from side to side?
mattyeatsmatts
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by mattyeatsmatts »

I wish Oculus bumped you up the DevKit shipping queue
hellodeibu
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by hellodeibu »

StellaArtois wrote:How does the game respond if you:

I just packed up the Rift as I was losing my office hours to the darn thing, but I tested your Minecraft Rift support quickly before I finished up. I'll try to be as helpful as I can.

- It seems like when you move the Rift from a certain starting position, the game either indefinitely rotates to the left or to the right, at an even speed. When you bring the Rift back, drifting stops going in one direction, and switches to the other.

- I think I tried to look up/down, but I don't remember anything in particular happening there. I could be wrong though, please let someone else confirm this (or me, when I get home)

- I think at one point I noticed my in-game camera making a slight roll effect, but only lightly so and when I tried to make it do that again I couldn't, somehow.

These results are very unscientific and based on my one minute testing before I saw your questions. I hope someone else can be of more (detailed) assistance to you :-)
StellaArtois
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by StellaArtois »

hellodeibu wrote:
StellaArtois wrote:How does the game respond if you:

I just packed up the Rift as I was losing my office hours to the darn thing, but I tested your Minecraft Rift support quickly before I finished up. I'll try to be as helpful as I can.

- It seems like when you move the Rift from a certain starting position, the game either indefinitely rotates to the left or to the right, at an even speed. When you bring the Rift back, drifting stops going in one direction, and switches to the other.

- I think I tried to look up/down, but I don't remember anything in particular happening there. I could be wrong though, please let someone else confirm this (or me, when I get home)

- I think at one point I noticed my in-game camera making a slight roll effect, but only lightly so and when I tried to make it do that again I couldn't, somehow.

These results are very unscientific and based on my one minute testing before I saw your questions. I hope someone else can be of more (detailed) assistance to you :-)
No, this is exactly what I'm looking for, thank you.
hellodeibu
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by hellodeibu »

StellaArtois wrote:No, this is exactly what I'm looking for, thank you.
The pleasure is all mine! Seeing Minecraft appear in the Rift brought a big smile to my face. Thank you!
StellaArtois
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by StellaArtois »

Also, if you guys could check as to what is reported on the debug trace - hit F1 to get the dodgy HUD up, then hit F3 twice to get the oculus debug. What values are you seeing for Yaw, Pitch and Roll?
HeadTrackDebug.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
StellaArtois
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by StellaArtois »

Version 0.12 alpha - the only change being use Ctrl-L to toggle headtracking on/off for now. Head tracking issues have NOT been addressed.
Minecrift_0_12_alpha.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mrklaw

Post by mrklaw »

StellaArtois wrote:Wow, some kind comments guys, for something that basically doesn't work! Thank you! And videos as well. :-)

Anyway I've had my six hour sleep, time to get cracking ;-)
tmek wrote:
StellaArtois wrote:However as you suspected the head tracking doesn't work well at all. It usually just seems to spin you around one direction or the other. Pressing CTRL O locks up the game on my machine.
First up, if you've lost mouse look except for yaw when the rift is plugged in, that's implying that the rift has actually been initialised successfully (or so the oculus lib thinks). So I'm just interpreting the values from the rift incorrectly.

How does the game respond if you:

That sounds like you're going for yaw only on the mouse? Sounds good and should limit motion sickness hopefully.

Someone needs to get this guy a rift ASAP (oh and definitely a beer or two on the way from me)
StellaArtois
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by StellaArtois »

Absolutely. Mouse should + / - yaw (only) when head tracking is enabled.

Either a beer or a Rift would be good :-D Actually, having more time available to spend on this would be good as well, but work and family dictate otherwise!
hellodeibu
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by hellodeibu »

StellaArtois wrote:Also, if you guys could check as to what is reported on the debug trace - hit F1 to get the dodgy HUD up, then hit F3 twice to get the oculus debug. What values are you seeing for Yaw, Pitch and Roll?
In an attempt to be more useful, I made a screen capture while I moved the Oculus around. I was also able to confirm that it seems like moving up/down or rolling left/right does not seem to have any visual effect, only left/right movement results in camera movement, sort of like you're pulling a steering wheel left or right, if that makes sense. Unfortunately the screen capture tool failed to actually capture Minecraft. Instead, you're just staring at a desktop that isn't doing anything. I seem to be too spoiled by OSX (I only have Windows installed for the Oculus, to be honest).

Anyway, onto the actual data:

- Yaw was at around 0 when I made it stop moving (so I could see the debug information). Looking left it went to around 1 (I don't know if it surpassed 1, the debug information went out of sight), and towards -1 when looking right.
- Pitch went from -1 to 1, where 1 was looking full up, and -1 fully down.
- Roll went from 1 to -1, where 1 was a fully rolled(?) to the left, and -1 to the right.

Note that I tested this with Alpha 1.

I hope this helps! Please let me know if there's anything else I can do to help out :)
StellaArtois
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by StellaArtois »

Potential fix for head tracking (please let me know what difference, if any, this makes).
Minecrift_0_13_alpha.zip
StellaArtois
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by StellaArtois »

Scratch that, just seen hellodeibu's post (thankyou)! So the Euler angles are all from -1 to 1? Doh!
Powback
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Powback »

StellaArtois wrote:Hi guys, been lurking for a while, time to start posting!

This is something I've been interested in as well. I've started playing around with the decompiled minecraft source, and the MCP guys have done a fantastic job of renaming the classes and variables, it looks like normal java source! While I've got quite a bit of Java and C++ experience I have exactly two days OpenGL experience as of now. The prospect of Minecraft on the Rift has spurred me into playing around with stuff as part of a learning process...

Using powback's JNI wrapper for the Oculus SDK (thanks powback! http://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments ... _for_devs/), I think head tracking should be working (for now head tracking would effectively move the selection cursor; not ideal, but will do for a start). Roll is supported (just roll the 'middle' eye modelview I assume).

I've also updated the JNI wrapper to pass back the correct Stereo render parameters from the SDK, and have two (currently undistorted) viewports up and running.
2013-04-14_23.34.13.png
Not sure if the rendering parameters are correct - the trouble is I won't have my Rift until the end of May so I can't check this stuff easily. Not sure if the IPD scale is correct either. The GUI currently displays on one viewport only, but that can be easily fixed (it's just grunt work to go through all of the sub-GUI functions).

Now I've seen your initial post Jademalo, I'm slightly concerned about this GLSL stuff. I assumed for the distortion I need to render to a (scaled up) texture, and then run the previously posted OpenGL shader code on it, rendering this output to the screen. Why is the GLSL stuff problematic in Minecraft? Does it's GL lib not support this or something? Please pardon my ignorance on this!

It's pretty cool to see my name pop up while reading, but I can't take any credits for that one. I simply did a bit of googling and figured out that someone would make use of it. During an earlier snapshot (12w08a), they included a "Deadmau5 camera" mode, in which you could press H or G to tilt the camera. I am unaware of whether this is done with shaders as I haven't worked in Java in quite some time. I would assume you could simply use the same code and bind it to the rift tilt axis. As far as I know, the rift simply reports it's tilt and view position. This is probably the key of getting headtracking useable. I haven't received my kit yet, but I believe I could fiddle around until I get something working. You guys are probably better off without my input.

Edit: I noticed you've already got headtracking somewhat working. Awesome!
StellaArtois
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by StellaArtois »

Powback, again, thank you for the Java wrapper for the SDK. It inspired me to get cracking on this :-)

Pretty much all I have to do to get head tracking working correctly is to substitute mouse yaw and pitch data from the mouse with that returned from your wrapper from the rift. However, due to ignorance on my part I assumed angles in degrees were returned. A basic mistake!
tmek
Cross Eyed!

Post by tmek »

StellaArtois wrote:Scratch that, just seen hellodeibu's post (thankyou)! So the Euler angles are all from -1 to 1? Doh!
Hi StellaArtosis,

I just tried alpha 0.13 defiantly closer on the head tracking than the first version.

#1 I think you already realized this based on your last post, turning my rift 90 degrees to my left only turns the screen like 1 or 2 degrees. Hopefully just a matter of converting from RADS to DEGS or something like that.

#2 I believe the YAW, PITCH and ROLL values all need to be negated. For example when I rotate the Rift left the screen shows me more of what's to my right and vice versa, when i "look up" the screen rotates down, and tilting my head to my left sholder makes the screen rotate further counter-clockwise.
StellaArtois
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by StellaArtois »

Guys, this is exactly the type of debug analysis I was hoping for. I might as well have a rift plugged in. Thank you!!
StellaArtois
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by StellaArtois »

Next build. Have now converted -1 to 1 euler angle range from the Rift lib to degrees in 'Minecraft angles'. Let me know how it is!
Minecrift_0_14_alpha.zip
tmek
Cross Eyed!

Post by tmek »

StellaArtois wrote:Next build. Have now converted -1 to 1 euler angle range from the Rift lib to degrees in 'Minecraft angles'. Let me know how it is!
Minecrift_0_14_alpha.zip
Getting VERY close!

I think maybe for some reason you might need to divide all your angles by two.
Turning the Rift 45% results in the view turning 90% in game. This seems to be true for all 3 (ROLL, PITCH, YAW).
tmek
Cross Eyed!

Post by tmek »

I just tried it again and it's not by two. It much more or by some other scale.

I was able to turn the in game camera by 270 degrees before the Rift turned 90 deg, going just past 90 deg with the Rift resulted in my character's view turning a full 360 turn in game.

I'll try it again with the Rift debug screen up and see if i can read any useful values from there.
hellodeibu
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by hellodeibu »

StellaArtois wrote:Next build. Have now converted -1 to 1 euler angle range from the Rift lib to degrees in 'Minecraft angles'. Let me know how it is!
Holy cow, this is incredible! I am actually inside the world of Minecraft! Bloody brilliant this!

Regarding what tmek said, it didn't bother me much, actually. The only one that felt a bit too fast was roll, where I could roll 90 degrees by just rotating 45 degrees. As for casual looking around, I actually quite like the speed as-is.

I had to dramatically reduce mouse sensitivity, but I'll just assume that's my vanilla Minecraft install, not because of your work.

Also, I wish I could give you more information regarding this, but there was a very specific point where if I moved ever so slightly, the view would suddenly flip horizontally (or, mirror mode). Moving a little farther fixed it. It only happened in one spot, that I can tell, and unfortunately I can't tell you what the Rift values were at that moment, I couldn't read the debug info.

I'm sure you're already aware of this, but the GUI seems attached to the direction the actual character is facing, not your (Rift) head. I thought I'd mention it anyway, just in case :-).

Fantastic work, really. I'd be lying if I said Minecraft wasn't a *huge* reason I invested in this little piece of future tech. Thank you for making it a reality!
mattyeatsmatts

Post by mattyeatsmatts »

Stella is goin to beat notch and he doesn't even have a rift yet
tmek
Cross Eyed!

Post by tmek »

I'm guessing that instead of the range being [-1,1] it's [−PI, PI]. so instead of multiplying by 360 maybe convert from RADs to DEGs?

Would it be possible for you to output the raw values you are getting back from the rift in the F3 debug window you added? Currently it seems to be giving the ROLL, PITCH, YAW of the ingame camera in degrees (not the Rift's values).

While you do that i'm going to back to test some more, amazing work!

I also wanted to add i had a fun experience a while ago with a bat in a cave. It was really cool to seem him flying around me, the sense of size and distance felt just right. He then flew all up in my face I literally went "AAAAAAAGGGHH!!" out loud xD.

edit:

degree = radian * (180 / PI) // PI = 3.14159265
Last edited by tmek on Mon May 06, 2013 8:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
Marulu
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Marulu »

Even if it doesn´t bother some people, please try to fix the speed to be 1 to 1.
You did a great job with the rendering, I can´t wait to see a perfect version.

Keep the good work up!

Visit my website! http://mushroomtomatoes.com/
JimAllanson
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by JimAllanson »

Minecrift_0_14_alpha.zip
This is looking really, really good. It's definitely playable with the rift at the moment, though I expect it will be much better once everything's properly calibrated.

I think it would help if the debug panel followed the head tracking - at the moment it's hard for me to calculate exactly how the in game orientation differs from the rift orientation as the debug panel is no longer visible when I turn the rift.

Edit: Is the source available anywhere? If so, I can have a go at tweaking the values with the rift on until it seems about right.
StellaArtois
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by StellaArtois »

Sadly I can't put the source up anywhere, that'll be breaking the Minecraft T&Cs.

The GUI HUD following the body was a design decision that seemed a good idea at the time, but I can revert that to following the head instead. Also I'll get the debug output updated with additional values from the head tracking.

Are all the movements in the correct direction at the moment (although multiplied by Pi or 2 Pi by the sound of it, as you guys have said)?

All the talk of exploring caves and bats flying into your face has got me wishing I already had my rift as well. To be honest I just want to *play* the game now, instead of modding it! :-)
StellaArtois
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by StellaArtois »

Marulu wrote:Even if it doesn´t bother some people, please try to fix the speed to be 1 to 1.
It bothers me as well :-D It'll be accurate! Although I'll probably add a config item for those that want to adjust it.
Marulu
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Marulu »

StellaArtois wrote:
Marulu wrote:Even if it doesn´t bother some people, please try to fix the speed to be 1 to 1.
It bothers me as well :-D It'll be accurate! Although I'll probably add a config item for those that want to adjust it.
Thanks, it´s good to hear you are going to work on it!

Visit my website! http://mushroomtomatoes.com/

Return to “Minecrift”