Minecrift Discussion Thread

hellodeibu
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: Rudimentary Minecraft Rift Support - Is it feasible?

Post by hellodeibu »

StellaArtois wrote:Sadly I can't put the source up anywhere, that'll be breaking the Minecraft T&Cs.
Would creating a patcher be allowed, injecting only your changes upon their code?
StellaArtois wrote:Are all the movements in the correct direction at the moment (although multiplied by Pi or 2 Pi by the sound of it, as you guys have said)?
Yessir!
StellaArtois wrote:All the talk of exploring caves and bats flying into your face has got me wishing I already had my rift as well. To be honest I just want to *play* the game now, instead of modding it! :-)
I wish I could help you with that.. Is your estimated shipping date far off? Anyone in the area who already has one perhaps, so you can at least give it a try? Somehow I don't think you live anywhere near me.. :-)
defactoman
Cross Eyed!

Post by defactoman »

StellaArtois,
If you can't find anyone in the area to let you mess with their rift for a little, I would be up for a remote session to help you do some tweaking in real time on one of my systems. I could just leave the rift hooked up and you could see the sensor data and as you needed I could move it around...etc.
TheHolyChicken
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by TheHolyChicken »

StellaArtois wrote:The GUI HUD following the body was a design decision that seemed a good idea at the time, but I can revert that to following the head instead.
Provide an option if possible! There is not yet a "correct" way of doing these things, and I'm sure many people would be interested in trying both. The GUI following the body sounds really nifty to me, and would actually allow you to have a massive GUI that you can pan around using head movements. Just an idea :)
Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits.
Marulu
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Marulu »

I noticed a bug in the newest version, I can´t see the GUI HUD unless I pause the game.
Did I install the game wrong?

Visit my website! http://mushroomtomatoes.com/
CaptnYesterday
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by CaptnYesterday »

mattyeatsmatts wrote:Stella is goin to beat notch and he doesn't even have a rift yet
Anyone just start laughing at this point? It's so funny because it's likely going to prove true. (even the GUI issues aside)
Really respect Notch but I would have chuckled at this even if I were him. Ha. Stella doesn't even have a rift yet. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Stella, great work. It can't have been easy with all the guess work surrounding the mouse look and FOV tweaking. Thank you for doing this and posting up your implementation.
Testing with: ATI 7970, 8GB 1600 ram, Core i7 4770K 3.5Ghz, Windows 7 Ultimate x64, Java 7 x64. For science... you monster.
Mystify
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Mystify »

To be fair, I doubt this is a high priority for mojang. It isn't event like the rift is a consumer device yet.
Dr.Omnibus
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Dr.Omnibus »

Considering what home modders can do with Minecraft, I always shake my head at what Mojang puts out. They have a whole team and can't seem to do anything.
Dycus
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Dycus »

I ran into troubles with the JRiftLibrary linking; for some reason the Path didn't work even after a restart. Putting the files in my windows dir worked, though.

The 3D is fantastic! I loaded up a new world, jumped into a cave and explored until I found a mineshaft. Then I built a sword and some torches and just explored. Very much fun. I nearly crapped myself a few times when I saw a creeper or skeleton. Those things are as tall as me! I often found myself sneaking to the edge of a corner and tilting my head to look around it.

Everything is great so far. Just needs that fixed headlook multiplier. I played for about 20 minutes, and for several minutes after taking the Rift off my vision was all wonky. Whenever I turned my head, my brain expected my view to turn more than it actually did! That felt really trippy.

Anyway, great experience so far. Minecraft is perfectly suited for the Rift; I don't know why they're not working on it already. Definitely watching for updates!
CaptnYesterday
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by CaptnYesterday »

Mystify wrote:To be fair, I doubt this is a high priority for mojang. It isn't event like the rift is a consumer device yet.
No argument there. I can totally see this not being the highest priority for Mojang (to adapt their game to a Dev kit Rift) and and no bad thing.

It's just that these two (even just the dev kit) appear made for eachother, and the MC fan base that IS interested in VR MC??? Liquid happy (that's what is really being coded here by Stella and tweaked with all of the input from you guys). This is going to make people happy. Have you seen the MC forums? Those people are crazy. Crazy creative and crazy passionate about the experience.
Testing with: ATI 7970, 8GB 1600 ram, Core i7 4770K 3.5Ghz, Windows 7 Ultimate x64, Java 7 x64. For science... you monster.
kenman884
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by kenman884 »

Oh man, I can't wait to get my rift and try this! (Just went to processing :/)

Do you know if this mod is compatible with others, such as Feed the Beast, Tekkit, or Forge Modloader?
Mindvent
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Mindvent »

CaptnYesterday wrote:
Mystify wrote:To be fair, I doubt this is a high priority for mojang. It isn't event like the rift is a consumer device yet.
No argument there. I can totally see this not being the highest priority for Mojang (to adapt their game to a Dev kit Rift) and and no bad thing.

It's just that these two (even just the dev kit) appear made for eachother, and the MC fan base that IS interested in VR MC??? Liquid happy (that's what is really being coded here by Stella and tweaked with all of the input from you guys). This is going to make people happy. Have you seen the MC forums? Those people are crazy. Crazy creative and crazy passionate about the experience.
@Dinnerbone (one of Minecrafts current main dev) only just tweeted about Rift support for the first time the other day.

"So the Rift is cool. Would take a lot of work to get it working for Minecraft, but not impossible - especially with the new launcher. Hmm"

And then... "@TheurgicGamer I can assure you with 100% certainty and absolute conviction that nobody ever has asked for Oculus Rift support in Minecraft."

So looks like StellaArtois has a pretty good lead on the effort :lol: :D
follapril
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by follapril »

Dycus wrote:I ran into troubles with the JRiftLibrary linking; for some reason the Path didn't work even after a restart. Putting the files in my windows dir worked, though.
Try using this batch that I wrote. http://pastebin.com/kfzw4wxw I use this so I can have differently modded Minecraft installations, but changed it a bit to include the new natives.
  • - Open up notepad.
    - Paste the text in.
    - Save it as mc.bat (or whatever.bat) in the directory that you want to run minecraft from (ie. c:\games\minecraft-oculus).
    - Make sure Minecraft.exe is in there, along with the modded .jar in .minecraft\bin.
    - Run minecraft from the new batch file.
StellaArtois, Awesome job so far! Just as the others have said, the left/right rotation is a tad too fast, but up/down and tilt seem to be perfect.
  • - Turning 90 degrees makes yaw count by about 275 points (ie. 30-35 to 280-300).
    - There's a large jump/twitch when the yaw numbers go between negative an positive (-385 to +745 and back).
hughJ
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by hughJ »

Mindvent wrote:So looks like StellaArtois has a pretty good lead on the effort :lol: :D
Almost 3 months since they've got their kits, so at this rate they'll have support ready for the devkit by the time Oculus have released their third gen retail unit with an 8k screen.
StellaArtois
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by StellaArtois »

Thank you again for all the kind praise and offers of support and / or remote access to a 'Rift etc! However I have so little time available to devote to this project; and that time tends to be at random points in the day. So logistically I will have to gratefully decline for now. To be honest all of your test input has been fantastic anyway. I'm a patient man when it comes to getting my Rift. I'll wait in line and enjoy it when it turns up! :-)
hellodeibu wrote:Would creating a patcher be allowed, injecting only your changes upon their code?
I assume that's what we're doing anyway; however my changes are to their code, so I can't distribute their code really.

Anyway, next release; may improve things on the head-tracking front. However, I've added some additional debug trace for the rift headtracker output (F1, F3 twice). Also added the ability to toggle locking the HUD position via Ctrl-U.
Minecrift_0_15_alpha.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rcblob
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by rcblob »

Awesome work, tried it in the rift and it looked great!

Apart from the know problems (angles -Pi to +Pi, and the GUI), there is an amusing problem when using certain custom player skins. If the skin doesn't have the face as being transparent, you are basically trapped inside your own head :D It almost feels like you have a box over your head.

I guess this doesn't need a fix, just a heads up to let people know to use the default skin.

Keep up the great work StellaArtois!
StellaArtois
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by StellaArtois »

rcblob wrote:Awesome work, tried it in the rift and it looked great!

Apart from the know problems (angles -Pi to +Pi, and the GUI), there is an amusing problem when using certain custom player skins. If the skin doesn't have the face as being transparent, you are basically trapped inside your own head :D It almost feels like you have a box over your head.

I guess this doesn't need a fix, just a heads up to let people know to use the default skin.

Keep up the great work StellaArtois!
Rcblob, are you using build 0.15? Is the Head tracking still off?
Jademalo
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Jademalo »

StellaArtois wrote:Thank you again for all the kind praise and offers of support and / or remote access to a 'Rift etc! However I have so little time available to devote to this project; and that time tends to be at random points in the day. So logistically I will have to gratefully decline for now. To be honest all of your test input has been fantastic anyway. I'm a patient man when it comes to getting my Rift. I'll wait in line and enjoy it when it turns up! :-)
hellodeibu wrote:Would creating a patcher be allowed, injecting only your changes upon their code?
I assume that's what we're doing anyway; however my changes are to their code, so I can't distribute their code really.

Anyway, next release; may improve things on the head-tracking front. However, I've added some additional debug trace for the rift headtracker output (F1, F3 twice). Also added the ability to toggle locking the HUD position via Ctrl-U.
Minecrift_0_15_alpha.zip

Oh man, this has come a long way since I made the thread. This is fantastic!
With regards to the patcher idea, some mods that modify core MC code use them.

Also, I think it would be worth sending them an email showing your progress. Dinnerbone posted on his twitter that he was attempting to do it but it was "a lot of work," so I expect he would be very interested - especially with how far along this is!
Mindvent
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Mindvent »

haha Notch just retweeted a YouTube vid with a link to this forum post! :D
StellaArtois
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by StellaArtois »

kenman884 wrote:Do you know if this mod is compatible with others, such as Feed the Beast, Tekkit, or Forge Modloader?
Not yet!
StellaArtois
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by StellaArtois »

Marulu wrote:I noticed a bug in the newest version, I can´t see the GUI HUD unless I pause the game.
Do you still get this Marulu? I haven't seen this.
StellaArtois
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by StellaArtois »

rcblob wrote:Apart from the know problems (angles -Pi to +Pi, and the GUI), there is an amusing problem when using certain custom player skins. If the skin doesn't have the face as being transparent, you are basically trapped inside your own head :D It almost feels like you have a box over your head.
I've seen that once before when I'd been turned into a zombie or similar. It looked like I was wearing a helmet, and I had a view from inside out to the world. Unintentional, but it looked cool!
StellaArtois
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by StellaArtois »

So to anyone who has tried 0.15 - any improvements in the head tracking? Yes, I'm dying to know as you can probably guess.

If there is no change, would somebody mind doing a test? Let me know the raw and degrees values from the debug output when holding the rift at 0, 45, 90 etc degrees (in real life) in each plane (yaw, pitch, roll)? Thanks!
hellodeibu
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by hellodeibu »

StellaArtois wrote:So to anyone who has tried 0.15 - any improvements in the head tracking? Yes, I'm dying to know as you can probably guess.

If there is no change, would somebody mind doing a test? Let me know the raw and degrees values from the debug output when holding the rift at 0, 45, 90 etc degrees (in real life) in each plane (yaw, pitch, roll)? Thanks!
I updated to .15 today and let my girlfriend try in a coffee shop (yes, I brought it all with me haha), so I did not try the latest version myself just yet, but from looking over her shoulder, it seemed to work wonderfully well. Within seconds she was strolling around, chopping wood and saying hi to chickens. Note that this was the first time she tried the Rift (and VR in general). She reported no nauseous feeling nor other visual problems, except that the GUI was too difficult to read/use (referring to the crafting menu).

I tried to lock the UI in place, which seemed to work, but it still seemed a bit too far and distorted to be legible, or at least somewhat easily so. It too seemed still stuck to the character, and locking it would "attach" it to the camera exactly as it appeared the moment you locked it, if I describe that properly.

I wonder if perhaps a custom UI (proxy?) overlay for the Rift would be easier to create than to modify the original to appear properly? Just a thought (from, admittedly, not a developer haha).

Thank you again for all of this wonderful work. It was truly incredible to see my girlfriend play a familiar game, but now actualy feel part of it. She stumbled once when she looked down and said (out loud) "oh, wow, that's deep", she noticed a chicken staring at her as she stared back, and quite a few times just stood there for a bit, looking around to see what was around her.

To be honest, after my initial slight letdown for the (known) problems with the Rift (the screen resolution being quite a big one, bigger than I anticipated), it was your Minecraft mod that made me realize how bloody amazing this all is. I still can wait for a higher resolution version, but at least now I know I'll be busy playing Minecraft until it gets here ;-)
Mystify
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Mystify »

Mindvent wrote:haha Notch just retweeted a YouTube vid with a link to this forum post! :D
Here is the video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RN7PD2qiJE
rcblob
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by rcblob »

StellaArtois wrote:Rcblob, are you using build 0.15? Is the Head tracking still off?
Just tried the new version, the head tracking is better, but it is now off by a factor of exactly 2.
So if I turn the rift 180 degrees and look behind me, the in game view is back to where I started, having turned a full 360 degrees.

This wouldn't be a huge problem in yaw, however the same happens to the roll, so If I tilt my head 45degrees, the image has rotated 90. My brain gets very confused :)

If you can provide me with the Java source for the rift part (JNI/dll), I can write a little program to report the raw values so I can tell you the exact sensor range. Then again, I think if you divide all the values by 2.0 it should fix it too.

*edit Ignore my request, found the JRift github. Doi :)
rcblob
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by rcblob »

Sensor range:
Yaw(-3.136255, 3.1381805) Pitch(-1.5383508, 1.5370414) Roll(-3.1406868, 3.1412241)

Or in PI terms:
Yaw(-PI, PI) Pitch(-PI/2, PI/2) Roll(-PI, PI)

Hope that helps!

*Edit: Minecraft crashes when I try to quit. The last thing logged to the console/stdout is "Destroying Oculus Rift device interface."

I'm using 64Bit Windows with a 64Bit JVM.
n8chur
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by n8chur »

First of all, thank you soooo much for putting this together!!!

The 3D effect looks great through the rift.

The only issues are in the UI and head tracking as many have stated.

I played around with .14 last night and then .15 this morning and I was unable to notice much of a difference.

Yaw and roll are both far too sensitive. It feels like roll is 2x too sensitive and yaw is 3x too sensitive (those are both extremely rough estimates). Maybe giving the option to adjust sensitivity would help us report values that seem to fit?

Also, if I roll my head 90 degrees to one side then rotate my head around a real life vertical axis (yaw) the viewport's pitch is effected instead of yaw (maybe my explanation is confusing.. let me know if it is and I will try harder to explain the issue).

I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this yet but the inventory UI is not rendering properly. I have to close one eye (my right eye) and the mouse icon does not align with what would be the actual in game mouse (there is an offset).

Thanks again! Can't wait to try .16!
StellaArtois
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by StellaArtois »

hellodeibu wrote:
StellaArtois wrote:So to anyone who has tried 0.15 - any improvements in the head tracking? Yes, I'm dying to know as you can probably guess.

I updated to .15 today and let my girlfriend try in a coffee shop (yes, I brought it all with me haha), so I did not try the latest version myself just yet, but from looking over her shoulder, it seemed to work wonderfully well. Within seconds she was strolling around, chopping wood and saying hi to chickens. Note that this was the first time she tried the Rift (and VR in general). She reported no nauseous feeling nor other visual problems, except that the GUI was too difficult to read/use (referring to the crafting menu).

I tried to lock the UI in place, which seemed to work, but it still seemed a bit too far and distorted to be legible, or at least somewhat easily so. It too seemed still stuck to the character, and locking it would "attach" it to the camera exactly as it appeared the moment you locked it, if I describe that properly.

I wonder if perhaps a custom UI (proxy?) overlay for the Rift would be easier to create than to modify the original to appear properly? Just a thought (from, admittedly, not a developer haha).

Thank you again for all of this wonderful work. It was truly incredible to see my girlfriend play a familiar game, but now actualy feel part of it. She stumbled once when she looked down and said (out loud) "oh, wow, that's deep", she noticed a chicken staring at her as she stared back, and quite a few times just stood there for a bit, looking around to see what was around her.

To be honest, after my initial slight letdown for the (known) problems with the Rift (the screen resolution being quite a big one, bigger than I anticipated), it was your Minecraft mod that made me realize how bloody amazing this all is. I still can wait for a higher resolution version, but at least now I know I'll be busy playing Minecraft until it gets here ;-)
I don't know what to say. A wonderful insight. This is what Palmer's Rift is all about. Glad to have had some input in to this experience! :-)
StellaArtois
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by StellaArtois »

rcblob wrote:Sensor range:
Yaw(-3.136255, 3.1381805) Pitch(-1.5383508, 1.5370414) Roll(-3.1406868, 3.1412241)

Or in PI terms:
Yaw(-PI, PI) Pitch(-PI/2, PI/2) Roll(-PI, PI)

Hope that helps!

*Edit: Minecraft crashes when I try to quit. The last thing logged to the console/stdout is "Destroying Oculus Rift device interface."

Ok excellent. So the range is 2 PI, PI, 2Pi. Previous input was that it was -1 to 1 full range. That's what has confused me!

Finally have some free time again today, apologies for the relative radio silence. Build 16 here we come, with *correct* tracking! I'll have a look into the lib crash on exit too. Using 64 bit JVM for dev here, but haven't seen the crash ( no doubt related to the lack of rift possibly ).
StellaArtois
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by StellaArtois »

As to GUI issues these are all known issues. The inventory screen and overlay will be the first to sorted out, these seem to be used the most. I'm not going to redesign them, just display them in full (readable) 3D. That's the plan. My OpenGL knowledge (or lack of) may slow me down... ;-)
StellaArtois
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by StellaArtois »

n8chur wrote:Also, if I roll my head 90 degrees to one side then rotate my head around a real life vertical axis (yaw) the viewport's pitch is effected instead of yaw (maybe my explanation is confusing.. let me know if it is and I will try harder to explain the issue).
Hmm, maybe some neck model weirdness? Or gimbal lock issue? Not sure TBH ATM.
hellodeibu
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by hellodeibu »

rcblob wrote:*Edit: Minecraft crashes when I try to quit. The last thing logged to the console/stdout is "Destroying Oculus Rift device interface."

I can confirm Minecraft crashes upon quiting for me too. Or, to be more specific, it freezes an I have to force quit it. Running Windows 8.
rcblob
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by rcblob »

hellodeibu wrote:I can confirm Minecraft crashes upon quiting for me too. Or, to be more specific, it freezes an I have to force quit it. Running Windows 8.
I'm on Win8 too, so that may be the problem.
Clavus
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Clavus »

Argh, can't get it to work. I get a black screen after logging in, complaining it can't find JRiftLibrary64, even though I've added the %APPDATA%\.minecraft\bin\natives to both the PATH and CLASSPATH system variables (Windows 7 x64). When I dump all the DLLs from the .minecraft\bin\natives folder next to the Minecraft.exe, it complains it can't find dependent libaries for JRiftLibary64.
StellaArtois
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by StellaArtois »

Mystify wrote:
Mindvent wrote:haha Notch just retweeted a YouTube vid with a link to this forum post! :D
Here is the video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RN7PD2qiJE
Damn that is an awesome video! Now I really want my Rift! :D

Nice mod Jademalo! ;-)

Edit: Sorry Jade, I can't even spell your name correctly!
Last edited by StellaArtois on Tue May 07, 2013 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
StellaArtois
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by StellaArtois »

Jademalo wrote: man, this has come a long way since I made the thread. This is fantastic!
With regards to the patcher idea, some mods that modify core MC code use them.

Also, I think it would be worth sending them an email showing your progress. Dinnerbone posted on his twitter that he was attempting to do it but it was "a lot of work," so I expect he would be very interested - especially with how far along this is!
Actually I'd be happy to pass my work onto Mojang if it meant an official patch was then imminent.
Marulu
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Marulu »

StellaArtois wrote:
Marulu wrote:I noticed a bug in the newest version, I can´t see the GUI HUD unless I pause the game.
Do you still get this Marulu? I haven't seen this.
The bug was on my end because I controlled the windows machine running Minecraft from my Mac using Synergy.
After connecting a keyboard directly to the PC it now is working fine.

Visit my website! http://mushroomtomatoes.com/
StellaArtois
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by StellaArtois »

Clavus wrote:Argh, can't get it to work. I get a black screen after logging in, complaining it can't find JRiftLibrary64, even though I've added the %APPDATA%\.minecraft\bin\natives to both the PATH and CLASSPATH system variables (Windows 7 x64). When I dump all the DLLs from the .minecraft\bin\natives folder next to the Minecraft.exe, it complains it can't find dependent libaries for JRiftLibary64.
You may need to install the Visual Studio 2012 C++ redistributable. And then copy JRiftLibrary.dll & JRiftLibrary64.dll to your Windows system dir as a quick hack.
zanalein
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by zanalein »

This is my first post here, and I don't even own a Rift yet(probably getting it by the end of June), but I wanted to thank you for doing such an effort in your spare time so we can all enjoy Minecraft with the Rift.

With people like you, no doubt we will have a lot of demos and games to try out once we get our devkits, but I have to admit I'm really looking forward to try Minecraft! It must look really awesome due to the nature of the game.

Once again, thank you :-)
Parallaxis
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Parallaxis »

inthelittlewood playing Minecrift and loving it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZUcR8OUySU
www.AwesomeBlade.com

Return to “Minecrift”