Minecrift Discussion Thread

Croccy22
Cross Eyed!

Re: Minecrift Discussion Thread

Post by Croccy22 »

mabrowning wrote:
Croccy22 wrote: PLEASE, PLEASE and DOUBLE PLEASE!!!!!! (Or Triple). That would be perfect.

In fact could you speak to CyberVillian in the FreePIE thread? They have an Android Plugin for FreePIE which talks to android using UDP on 5555. If the format of your plugin could match the output of the Android plugin then we instantly have support for Android/AHRS/YEI/Hillcrest/Hydra/Wiimote. All from building one plugin :D.

I'm sure he will give you the code for the android plugin so you can see what format the data is in.

Thanks, Matt.

PS. You rwork on this has been brillaint. I have been playing it on my DIY Rift with Mouse emulation and it loks superb. If you can get this plugin working the DIY Community will be eternally grateful :P

Hmm... looked into the Android Plugin. Its sending raw sensor data, not post-fusion data. I don't really feel like adding *yet another* sensor fusion implementation to the mix. Also, it isn't an "output" plugin, only input, so even if I did make it the same network format, you couldn't feed data to it from FreePIE. No, we'll just go with a custom UDP packet format that is super-simple to create for people. Realistically, FreePIE is probably the only thing that is really needed, so I might even take a crack and an output plugin for that. No promises!
As soon as I left my computer earlier I remembered that the Android plugin would be reading from the device rather than writing too it. If the UDP input could be written into minecrift then i'm sure an output plugin for FreePIE would be quite easy to put together.

Thanks again, Matt.
Croccy22
Cross Eyed!

Post by Croccy22 »

Have spoken to CyberVillian (FreePIE Author). And he is happy to help out with a UDP output plugin for freepie.
Sure I could help you with that, tell him that it would be great if he could give me a test console app so that I do not need to have minecraft.
I think this would be really good for Minecrift to enable it to be used with future DIY HMD projects. Although I really want an actual Rift, I am going to wait for it's commerical release and keep playing with my DIY version for now. It's been great fun building it from scratch and 3D printing all the components :P. Now I just want to play!

Thanks, Matt.
thenomad
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by thenomad »

Just thought I'd let you know - the improved calibration in Build #42 was just the ticket. Works like a charm.

I'm going to look into the wiki and what I can do to help after making a cake :)

One bug I did hit, although it didn't stop me - I couldn't get the crosshair to go up or down. Is this working as intended, or had I mis-set-up my Hydra (as usual)?

(And when the Hydra calibration runs, is there anywhere in particular I should be "firing" at the base unit from? I tend to do it from wherever, but would it be better to do it from a neutral playing position, or near my shoulders, or something else?)
rowanunderwood
Cross Eyed!

Post by rowanunderwood »

thenomad wrote:Just thought I'd let you know - the improved calibration in Build #42 was just the ticket. Works like a charm.

I'm going to look into the wiki and what I can do to help after making a cake :)

One bug I did hit, although it didn't stop me - I couldn't get the crosshair to go up or down. Is this working as intended, or had I mis-set-up my Hydra (as usual)?

(And when the Hydra calibration runs, is there anywhere in particular I should be "firing" at the base unit from? I tend to do it from wherever, but would it be better to do it from a neutral playing position, or near my shoulders, or something else?)
Don't qoute me on this but I believe I read in one of these posts that the crosshair thing is intentional. The vertical position of the crosshair is controlled by where you are looking currently. Some of the older builds allowed full control of the crosshair with the hydra (build #30 did). For the Hydra calibration, I haven't noticed any difference firing from different distances.
mabrowning
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by mabrowning »

rowanunderwood wrote:Don't qoute me on this but...
Too late!
thenomad wrote:One bug I did hit, although it didn't stop me - I couldn't get the crosshair to go up or down. Is this working as intended, or had I mis-set-up my Hydra (as usual)?
No, it should definitely be going up and down. Its a bit of a mess, but change to the Mouse control scheme and see if there is a "Vertical Camera: Fixed" option(or something, its been a long few days) . It should be OFF.
karki
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by karki »

Not expecting a lot of help for this since FTB is understandably unsupported right now, but I followed Ma's instructions from a few pages back but am still having issues. I get to the title screen with calibrating and as soon as I hit space, it crashes.

Code: Select all

java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: com.mtbs3d.minecrift.MCOculus._updateAutomaticCalibration()V
	at com.mtbs3d.minecrift.MCOculus.processCalibration(MCOculus.java:158)
	at com.mtbs3d.minecrift.MCOculus.updateAutomaticCalibration(MCOculus.java:57)
	at com.mtbs3d.minecrift.CalibrationHelper.allPluginsCalibrated(CalibrationHelper.java:47)
	at com.mtbs3d.minecrift.VRRenderer.updateCamera(VRRenderer.java:429)
	at ban.b(EntityRenderer.java:1074)
	at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.J(Minecraft.java:887)
	at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.run(Minecraft.java:756)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
Anyone know anything about this error?

Edit: Magic Launcher screenshot if it helps.
http://imgur.com/GA82qch
mabrowning

Post by mabrowning »

karki, you have a mismatch between JRift.jar and minecrift. is this 1.4.7 or 1.5.2? if the latter, download a fresh copy of both. if the former.... I'll go make another 1.4.7 build that matches up, but it'll be a few hours until I can to a real computer.
karki
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by karki »

It's 1.4.7. Makes sense. I'll see if I can find an older copy of JRift somewhere. I'll post if I get something to work.

Thanks.
mabrowning

Post by mabrowning »

Alright, I just merged all the 1.5.2 changes to the 1.4.7 branch and build a new version. Build #10should be compatible, though I didn't test it.
slinkyracer
One Eyed Hopeful

New Minecrift/Minecraft installation Windows 7: Install trou

Post by slinkyracer »

I am having some difficulties installing Minecrift on my new Minecraft install. The first problem I am having is with the MagicLauncher application. I am able to successfully run and play Minecraft using the built in launcher (I had the launcher install 1.5.2 not 1.6.?) and when I try to launch the game using MagicLauncher I am receiving some non-informative errors. First things first, the MagicLauncher is still looking in the \Users\<username>\Appdata\Roaming\.minecraft\bin directory for the minecraft.jar file. The new version of minecraft no longer uses the /bin directory, instead it uses a /version/1.?.? directory structure so that more than one version of Minecraft can be installed. When I tell MagicLauncher to use the /.minecraft/versions/1.5.2/1.5.2.jar file, it seems to detect that this is indeed a valid minecraft.jar file, however when I try to run Minecraft using it, I get this error:

Code: Select all

*** MagicMinecraftLauncher 1.1.6 ***
  LCP: ;C:\Users\optimus\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft\versions\1.5.2\1.5.2.jar;bin/jinput.jar;bin/lwjgl.jar;bin/lwjgl_util.jar
  MainClass: net.minecraft.client.Minecraft
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/lwjgl/LWJGLException
    at java.lang.Class.getDeclaredMethods0(Native Method)
    at java.lang.Class.privateGetDeclaredMethods(Unknown Source)
    at java.lang.Class.getMethod0(Unknown Source)
    at java.lang.Class.getMethod(Unknown Source)
    at magic.launcher.Launcher.main(Unknown Source)
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.lwjgl.LWJGLException
    at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(Unknown Source)
    at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(Unknown Source)
    at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
    at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(Unknown Source)
    at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
    at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
which looks to me as though it is still looking for a /bin directory. The problem is further exacerbated by my inability to manually mod the game due to the new file structure of /.minecraft and a lack of documentation on how to implement modifications within this structure. If anyone with more experience modding a modern install of minecraft could give me a hand I would appreciate it. My google searches have been fruitless.

Thank you for your time,
Slinkyracer

EDIT: By downloading the old launcher (found at http://www.minecraft.net/downloads) I was able to start up the minecrift mod without any trouble. The "traditional" /.minecraft file structure is installed and all of the modifications work just fine.
Last edited by slinkyracer on Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jademalo

Post by Jademalo »

Magic launcher has not updated to the new launchers structure.

Try deleting the .minecraft directory, and opening the Magic launcher. There should be an option somewhere to "install latest version" which installs 1.5.2 with the old directory structure.

EDIT: Options then Force Update should do it, although im not sure. If that still doesn't work, try and find the old Minecraft launcher.
thenomad
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by thenomad »

You can get the old Minecraft launcher from https://minecraft.net/download , by clicking "show older versions" at the bottom of the page, I believe.
rowanunderwood
Cross Eyed!

Post by rowanunderwood »

Another random gripe about keyhole turning in VR. If I'm holding the cursor still, then look to the left, suddenly I'm spinning to the right due to the keyhole touching my stationary cursor. I have the keyhole set to the default of 90 currently. This puts me in the awkward mode of carefully making sure my cursor is moving with my head. All the VR noobs I tried this on were completely unable to comprehend what was going on. I guess that a bounding box showing where the keyhole is would somewhat alleviate this issue . . . but we hardly want more things floating in front of us. My vote is still with ditching/sidelining keyhole turning entirely.
karki
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by karki »

mabrowning wrote:Alright, I just merged all the 1.5.2 changes to the 1.4.7 branch and build a new version. Build #10should be compatible, though I didn't test it.
Thanks, Ma, but I'm getting a black screen after the Mojang logo.
slinkyracer
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by slinkyracer »

Jademalo wrote:Magic launcher has not updated to the new launchers structure.

Try deleting the .minecraft directory, and opening the Magic launcher. There should be an option somewhere to "install latest version" which installs 1.5.2 with the old directory structure.

EDIT: Options then Force Update should do it, although im not sure. If that still doesn't work, try and find the old Minecraft launcher.
Thank you very much. I will give this a try.
slinkyracer
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by slinkyracer »

thenomad wrote:You can get the old Minecraft launcher from https://minecraft.net/download , by clicking "show older versions" at the bottom of the page, I believe.
This worked perfectly for me. After downloading the old launcher and installing minecraft with it, I was able to startup and run the minecrift mod. Thank you for your help.

Cheers,
Slinkyracer
mabrowning

Post by mabrowning »

rowanunderwood wrote:Another random gripe about keyhole turning in VR. If I'm holding the cursor still, then look to the left, suddenly I'm spinning to the right due to the keyhole touching my stationary cursor. I have the keyhole set to the default of 90 currently. This puts me in the awkward mode of carefully making sure my cursor is moving with my head. All the VR noobs I tried this on were completely unable to comprehend what was going on. I guess that a bounding box showing where the keyhole is would somewhat alleviate this issue . . . but we hardly want more things floating in front of us. My vote is still with ditching/sidelining keyhole turning entirely.

I definitely hear you. I just haven't had a lot of development time this week. Moving the keyhole with the head is a toggle-able option. I'm just throwing things out there to see what sticks, so I appreciate the feedback. That said, I don't think I'll "ditch" it, but I'll try to add other options people can choose between. Yeah, a floating bounding box wouldn't be great....

I feel like we're kind of stuck: turning with the joystick isn't good, turning with the hydra isn't good, and turning your head all 360 degrees is a recipe for disaster.... We've got to chose something, and strafing is a natural fit for the joystick..... which leaves keyhole turning. That was my thought progression which brought us to where we are now. I know you've expressed a desire to use both hydras for control: we'll get there, and that opens things up quite a bit, but I know that I'll personally never play like that: the hydra head tracking just adds too much immersion.

Personally, I'm really interested in trying a Wii Balance board for walking/strafing; then, turning left/right on the joystick will be just fine and there will be an extra joystick y axis for...sprinting maybe? Something like that.
mabrowning

Post by mabrowning »

karki wrote: Thanks, Ma, but I'm getting a black screen after the Mojang logo.
Gonna need more info than that. All I can tell you is that you're missing "something". Probably a library, possibly the class files. It is possible that I had a bad merge/build; I was doing it in a rush and didn't actually boot up 1.4.7 to test it.

Can you pastebin a console log?
karki
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by karki »

mabrowning wrote:
karki wrote: Thanks, Ma, but I'm getting a black screen after the Mojang logo.
Gonna need more info than that. All I can tell you is that you're missing "something". Probably a library, possibly the class files. It is possible that I had a bad merge/build; I was doing it in a rush and didn't actually boot up 1.4.7 to test it.

Can you pastebin a console log?
http://pastebin.com/je2pXfd7
mickman

Post by mickman »

I have Minecrift running on my machine...

Now I'd like to add a few Mods to bling things up a bit.... but which ones are more suitable for running in the Dev. Kit ?

Considering the low rez of the rift are there certain mods that don't play well in the Rift ?
Image Image

My Mind is screaming like a Zen Master dreaming .....
mabrowning

Post by mabrowning »

Alright, it looks like its something stupid I did, sorry about that. Somehow, the native library doesn't have a required function call... I'll get it working for real and let you know.
stinkvis
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by stinkvis »

mickman wrote:I have Minecrift running on my machine...

Now I'd like to add a few Mods to bling things up a bit.... but which ones are more suitable for running in the Dev. Kit ?

Considering the low rez of the rift are there certain mods that don't play well in the Rift ?
I suppose mods that have you staring at a GUI most of the time wouldn't be much fun in vr. Other than that, it really depends on what kind of gameplay you like. Some of my personal favorites:
Biomes O Plenty - kind of a must have. Adds an insane amount of biomes to the games, most of which are really awesome. There are other biome mods out there, but this one's the best by far IMHO.
Natura - also adds more variety to minecraft's world. Makes the nether a lot more interesting as well.
Tinker's construct. - a mod that allows you to create and customize your own weapons and tools. Works well together with natura (as it's made by the same author), but both mods can be installed separately.
Thaumcraft - adds an entire magic "tech tree", which you have to unlock by researching magical aspects that are assigned to all items and blocks. Kind of hard to explain, but a lot of fun.
Barrels - adds 3 kinds of barrels that allow you to store up to 64, 1024 or 4096 stacks of an item type in a single block respectively. Simple but useful, especially for late game or if you play with a lot of mods.
Bibliocraft - better ways of storing your books/potions/items/armor. You can actually see and interact with your items in-world instead of through a GUI, which greatly increases immersion. It adds more than just storage options, but I haven't really played with the other stuff yet.
Extra Utilities - various useful blocks and items. Too much stuff to mention really - go check it out!

Disclaimer: I haven't actually tried playing minecrift with other mods yet, so no guarantees any of them will work.
Jademalo

Post by Jademalo »

mabrowning or Stella, do you have any plans to add GLSL Shader's mod compatibility, or is it nigh on impossible?

I'm assuming it would probably mess up the warp shader for Minecrift, but having Dynamic shadows and stuff like that would look gorgeous in the rift.
mabrowning

Post by mabrowning »

Jademalo wrote:mabrowning or Stella, do you have any plans to add GLSL Shader's mod compatibility, or is it nigh on impossible?

I'm assuming it would probably mess up the warp shader for Minecrift, but having Dynamic shadows and stuff like that would look gorgeous in the rift.
I have no plans to add it, but there isn't any real technical issue with it. The shaders mod has to add a lot of hooks into the rest of minecraft to pull bits and pieces out, and it makes it quite difficult to maintain Forge compatibility. Personally, my machine wouldn't be able to handle it anyway, so It isn't high on my personal priority list, but again: there isn't anything technical stopping it, so if someone wants to add in support, I'd be happy to pull those changes into an alternative, non-forge branch. I just wouldn't active develop this.
Jademalo

Post by Jademalo »

mabrowning wrote:
Jademalo wrote:mabrowning or Stella, do you have any plans to add GLSL Shader's mod compatibility, or is it nigh on impossible?

I have no plans to add it, but there isn't any real technical issue with it. The shaders mod has to add a lot of hooks into the rest of minecraft to pull bits and pieces out, and it makes it quite difficult to maintain Forge compatibility. Personally, my machine wouldn't be able to handle it anyway, so It isn't high on my personal priority list, but again: there isn't anything technical stopping it, so if someone wants to add in support, I'd be happy to pull those changes into an alternative, non-forge branch. I just wouldn't active develop this.
Ah, alright.
Damn, I've never wished I was able to code proficiently more than now :|
StellaArtois
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by StellaArtois »

Jademalo wrote:
mabrowning wrote:

I think I'm going to have a go at this. This could take me some time (remember, OpenGL n00b here)!

By the way Jade, next build will have a general GUI refactor in. While it doesn't completely follow all your ideas, let me know what you think.
StellaArtois
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by StellaArtois »

stinkvis wrote:
mickman wrote:I have Minecrift running on my machine...

I suppose mods that have you staring at a GUI most of the time wouldn't be much fun in vr. Other than that, it really depends on what kind of gameplay you like. Some of my personal favorites:
Biomes O Plenty - kind of a must have. Adds an insane amount of biomes to the games, most of which are really awesome. There are other biome mods out there, but this one's the best by far IMHO.
Natura - also adds more variety to minecraft's world. Makes the nether a lot more interesting as well.
Tinker's construct. - a mod that allows you to create and customize your own weapons and tools. Works well together with natura (as it's made by the same author), but both mods can be installed separately.
Thaumcraft - adds an entire magic "tech tree", which you have to unlock by researching magical aspects that are assigned to all items and blocks. Kind of hard to explain, but a lot of fun.
Barrels - adds 3 kinds of barrels that allow you to store up to 64, 1024 or 4096 stacks of an item type in a single block respectively. Simple but useful, especially for late game or if you play with a lot of mods.
Bibliocraft - better ways of storing your books/potions/items/armor. You can actually see and interact with your items in-world instead of through a GUI, which greatly increases immersion. It adds more than just storage options, but I haven't really played with the other stuff yet.
Extra Utilities - various useful blocks and items. Too much stuff to mention really - go check it out!

Disclaimer: I haven't actually tried playing minecrift with other mods yet, so no guarantees any of them will work.
Being somewhat of a Minecraft n00b myself, this is a fantastic list. Thanks for posting! :-)
Jademalo

Post by Jademalo »

StellaArtois wrote:I think I'm going to have a go at this. This could take me some time (remember, OpenGL n00b here)!

By the way Jade, next build will have a general GUI refactor in. While it doesn't completely follow all your ideas, let me know what you think.
Ooh! That sounds awesome! =]
And sweet, I'll have a play around with it when it's released =]

Just to check - you did see my revision that was in a zip a page or two back, yeah?
StellaArtois
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by StellaArtois »

Jademalo wrote:Just to check - you did see my revision that was in a zip a page or two back, yeah?
I did, thanks Jade! And I forgot to mention that. Doh. :oops:

The refactor is similar; but I don't group things based on controller type. Other things, as I've mentioned before, I've heavily ripped from your ideas. To be honest, it's not a massive overhaul, just a cleanup; and I've taken the opportunity to add Oculus Profile support at the same time.
Jademalo

Post by Jademalo »

StellaArtois wrote: and I've taken the opportunity to add Oculus Profile support at the same time.
Oh man nice! Definitely a good addition =]
Croccy22
Cross Eyed!

Post by Croccy22 »

Dont forget my UDP input plug in LOL :-P.

I need to get back into programming but cant decide what to learn. I did some java a while back for android which was fun. Just don't seem to have the time these days :-(. Think k I'm getting old hehe.

Matt
StellaArtois
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by StellaArtois »

Croccy22 wrote:Just don't seem to have the time these days :-(. Think k I'm getting old hehe.
Join the club ;-)
NikoKun
Cross Eyed!

Post by NikoKun »

Does anyone know how to run Minecraft/minecrift on the Rift when your monitors are set to Extend mode? Supposedly you can reduce latency even further by running your Rift/monitors in Extend mode, instead of Duplicate mode.. But I can't figure out how to get Minecraft to run on the second display now.

Is there some java launch parameter? or some other setting somewhere?
Mystify
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Mystify »

At the very least, I'd expect one of these 2 to work:
a. make the rift your primary monitor
b.start minecraft in a window, drag it over to the rift, then fullscreen it
mabrowning

Post by mabrowning »

I don't think Minecraft supports "Full screen on one monitor," which is a shame. I'll add this to the issue tracker as a possible enhancement in the future. In the meantime, you can run it in Windowed mode and instruct the Launcher to create your window 1280x800(Advanced Options in Magic Launcher), then drag it onto the extended screen.
NikoKun
Cross Eyed!

Post by NikoKun »

Ok, well dragging it over and maximizing it worked just fine! Thanks for that suggestion.

Another weird problem.. Now that I finally have my Rift, and got Minecrift setup, when I run the game, on the Title menu, it says "Look forward and Press Space to Calibrate Rift" or something like that.. but Pushing Space does nothing.. The message doesn't go away. =/?

The head tracking is working fine on the menu, it's just that message wont accept Space.
yoshithedog
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by yoshithedog »

mabrowning wrote:I don't think Minecraft supports "Full screen on one monitor," which is a shame.
It runs fine in fullscreen both on Rift or monitor when set to extended on my PC. On which screen it will launch depends on which is set to primary.
Sorry for poor english here, I don't know how to arrange it correctly. :oops:
StellaArtois
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by StellaArtois »

NikoKun wrote:Ok, well dragging it over and maximizing it worked just fine! Thanks for that suggestion.

Another weird problem.. Now that I finally have my Rift, and got Minecrift setup, when I run the game, on the Title menu, it says "Look forward and Press Space to Calibrate Rift" or something like that.. but Pushing Space does nothing.. The message doesn't go away. =/?

The head tracking is working fine on the menu, it's just that message wont accept Space.
Sounds like you have an old version. Get the latest from HERE
NikoKun
Cross Eyed!

Post by NikoKun »

StellaArtois wrote:
NikoKun wrote:Ok, well dragging it over and maximizing it worked just fine! Thanks for that suggestion.

Sounds like you have an old version. Get the latest from HERE
Ah, ok, silly me. Thanks! :D
stokis
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by stokis »

why after crafting the map, the map doesn't show up? i am holding the map in my hands, and after the right click the map does not show up. this is a bug or what? it's hard to play minecraft without using maps.. :(

Return to “Minecrift”