Minecrift Discussion Thread

CaptnYesterday
Two Eyed Hopeful

Re: Minecrift Discussion Thread

Post by CaptnYesterday »

Hi Stella,
:o :o :o :o :shock: :shock: :shock: :o :o :o
I have been having some game-breaking trouble with the new pre-5/1.8 pre 1. I was hoping you might be able to give me a hand.

I have always run DK2 demos in extended rift-as-main-display (Aero Disabled in windows, rift set to 75hz, etc). I am very much looking forward to getting this mode back (if you can) as Direct to HMD is just not working for me after several hours of tinkering and research.

I was getting 1 frame per 5 seconds for the first few hours I was messing with 1.8 (actually in all demos using Direct to HMD). Then remembered that AERO needs to be on. BOOM, it worked. Got in the game and set Smooth world. Starts out butter smooth with judder every few seconds, but then judder starts taking over within a few minutes until it is unplayable.

Can you tell me everything that you have done to make HMD mode run smoothly? Its killing me not being able to play :)
-AERO: ON
-SMOOTH WORLD: ON EDIT: tested and this and on or off did not make a diff in the judder I have.
-Main monitor need to be setup with specific refresh rate? EDIT: Not possible for me without lowering main monitor resolution which breaks this mode
-Triple buffering? Not sure where this is on the AMD ATI control panel, but are there preferred settings? EDIT: Made no difference in the game-stopping judder
-Anything else you can tell me about your rift/windows settings?

I would be happy to let you know my setup for rift as main display as it is "perfect". Judder and artifacts are not vastly improved but are non-existent. It is amazing. Played this way for all demos and 1.7.10 pre 4 and I realized recently that not many have been fortunate enough to have that experience (I thought everyone was running perfectly).

EDIT:
-The main menu is judder free.
-Bringing up the menu while in a world immediately puts judder to max and persists after menu is closed.
-I am thinking that the only thing that is going to work for my setup is bringing back extended mode such as was in Pre 4.
Testing with: ATI 7970, 8GB 1600 ram, Core i7 4770K 3.5Ghz, Windows 7 Ultimate x64, Java 7 x64. For science... you monster.
StellaArtois
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by StellaArtois »

CaptnYesterday wrote:Hi Stella,
:o :o :o :o :shock: :shock: :shock: :o :o :o
I have been having some game-breaking trouble with the new pre-5/1.8 pre 1. I was hoping you might be able to give me a hand.

I have always run DK2 demos in extended rift-as-main-display (Aero Disabled in windows, rift set to 75hz, etc). I am very much looking forward to getting this mode back (if you can) as Direct to HMD is just not working for me after several hours of tinkering and research.

I was getting 1 frame per 5 seconds for the first few hours I was messing with 1.8 (actually in all demos using Direct to HMD). Then remembered that AERO needs to be on. BOOM, it worked. Got in the game and set Smooth world. Starts out butter smooth with judder every few seconds, but then judder starts taking over within a few minutes until it is unplayable.

Can you tell me everything that you have done to make HMD mode run smoothly? Its killing me not being able to play :)
-AERO: ON
-SMOOTH WORLD: ON EDIT: tested and this and on or off did not make a diff in the judder I have.
-Main monitor need to be setup with specific refresh rate? EDIT: Not possible for me without lowering main monitor resolution which breaks this mode
-Triple buffering? Not sure where this is on the AMD ATI control panel, but are there preferred settings? EDIT: Made no difference in the game-stopping judder
-Anything else you can tell me about your rift/windows settings?

I would be happy to let you know my setup for rift as main display as it is "perfect". Judder and artifacts are not vastly improved but are non-existent. It is amazing. Played this way for all demos and 1.7.10 pre 4 and I realized recently that not many have been fortunate enough to have that experience (I thought everyone was running perfectly).

EDIT:
-The main menu is judder free.
-Bringing up the menu while in a world immediately puts judder to max and persists after menu is closed.
-I am thinking that the only thing that is going to work for my setup is bringing back extended mode such as was in Pre 4.
Let me know how you get on with this (rename from .txt to .exe):
minecrift-1.7.10-PRE5a1-installer.txt
Mirror HERE

It'll need the 0.4.4 runtime installed.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
StellaArtois
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by StellaArtois »

As a follow up Captn'...

I try to keep my settings pretty much as default from the install of the nVidia drivers. I think I'm running version 344 or similar - can't check at the moment.

- nVidia driver clean install - all settings at default.
- So triple buffering default (off I assume), VSync as app controlled.
- GTX 580 3Gb
- Windows 8.1 Enterprise (!)
CaptnYesterday
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by CaptnYesterday »

Hi Stella,

Thanks. As usual, your response time and agility are impressive. I will try it in both extended and direct to HMD modes and will let you know tonight. Want to make one thing clear though regarding my last comment. My setup treats pretty much all demos the same way when running Direct mode. Not specific to Minecrift. The building judder did seem specific to MC though.

Also, thanks for responding about the system setup. Looks like every PC out there is finger-print unique and some things work for different setups. A friend playing on our 1.8 server has an nvidia setup and a few settings are just different and we spent a couple hours trying to track down differences in setup. never fully reconciled the differences and we are both pretty knowledgable users. After everything, he actually prefers windowed mode. Even in 1.8pre1.

Once I get things playable, I will go for the controller testing and let you know my findings.
Testing with: ATI 7970, 8GB 1600 ram, Core i7 4770K 3.5Ghz, Windows 7 Ultimate x64, Java 7 x64. For science... you monster.
CaptnYesterday
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by CaptnYesterday »

StellaArtois wrote:
Mirror HERE

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
I can run rift in extended-main-display mode fullscreen again with 0 judder regardless of the settings. (Running Aero ON or OFF no appears to have an impact in any demo as long as you are running the rift extended-main-display. Why would it? Main display running a full screen app is business as usual)

Ok, here's testing pre5a against you pre5 change log:

-Fixed shader effect in one eye only
Pencil , outline and Sobel were my favorites. Phosphor was cool too. These were a lot of fun going through in VR. Thanks for enabling them.

-(Re-)implemented hand only rendering (for map views etc.)
Very cool. Tested and it works well. If I had any feedback, it would be default the map so that you have to look further down for the map to fill your whol;e FOV. Had to actually look up a little to keep the map from being 'half-open'. If you keep it the same as today, still awesome.

-Added mouse and controller VR comfort mode settings. VrSettings->MoveAim->locomotion settings
Tested but do not use regularly as I do not get VR Sim Sick, but Wow. Many ways of tailoring movement and tracking. Both mouse and controller. Seems like a lot of work went into this and it is solid. Thought the transitions in the ratcheting were jarring at first but then saw you even allow for customizing the transitions. How the heck did you come up with all of these ideas for locomotion? I have not seen some of these before.

-Added mouse tight and loose keyhole settings. Recommended mouse settings: keyholes defined, keyhole (loose), cursor body relative, look decoupled.
Tried this out. Love being able to continue working and still able to look around. Once in a while, the cursor would move while looking left or right while mining. I could not consistently replicate this, but I would be mining block in front and head-turn to the left and find that the cursor jumped to the edge of my current keyhole width (60 angs). Almost like it was still being dragged despite being on loose and not tight. Only was able to replicate a few times keyhole height =0 during the tests.
This setting will be a definite win for some people I think. I will keep using it and try to get used to de-coupled walking (that was a big change for me at least.

-Added controller mouse cursor emulation for GUI navigation. Allows navigation of the creative inventory. You'll need to bind a set of thumbstick axes for this in VrSettings->MoveAim->Remap controls
not tested yet

-Re-added world scale. I find 133% to be good for seated play.
Took me a while to find this as I was expecting it in 'Player pref' or "Stereo Rendering" rather than IPD, but it makes sense why it is there.
This was way too cool. I tried this out in an abandoned mining area. Like a little mouse or in a small toy car this was too cool. For praticality, I can see people using this to finetune scale to what they see in the real world.

-Chat text persistence setting
what an awesome idea. So useful for coordinates...

-Experimental mono renderer mode. All the Minecrift goodness for users without a Rift.
Very useful! Believe it or not, this is what I used when setting other people up with MC. Vanilla with Optifine helped ensure we walked through the same settings together. Thanks for bringing it back.

-The return of FSAA! Bring your 980Ti's / 390X's... ;-)
Even the lowest 1.2 setting can see a large difference, but when I turn this on aand look back and forthe (left-right-left-right) quickly, there is a bleed over of the other eye's image onto the wrong side. Try this out. For me, it stops when I turn FSAA off.
Render Scale vs FSSA can you explain what Render Scale does?

So That is it for me. Can't wait for 1.8 so I can go back on our server!!

EDIT:
-1.7.10 Pre5 known issues: Occasional large immersion breaking view / head tracking lockups. Hoping these will go away when 0.4.4 arrives and we port to that.
Not sure this ever effected extended-rift-as main display. Never saw it on pre5a. May have experienced it on 1.8 direct mode. Had to quit out to reset.
StellaArtois
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by StellaArtois »

CaptnYesterday wrote:
StellaArtois wrote:
Mirror HERE

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
I can run rift in extended-main-display mode fullscreen again with 0 judder regardless of the settings. (Running Aero ON or OFF no appears to have an impact in any demo as long as you are running the rift extended-main-display. Why would it? Main display running a full screen app is business as usual)

Ok, here's testing pre5a against you pre5 change log:

-Fixed shader effect in one eye only
Pencil , outline and Sobel were my favorites. Phosphor was cool too. These were a lot of fun going through in VR. Thanks for enabling them.

-(Re-)implemented hand only rendering (for map views etc.)
Very cool. Tested and it works well. If I had any feedback, it would be default the map so that you have to look further down for the map to fill your whol;e FOV. Had to actually look up a little to keep the map from being 'half-open'. If you keep it the same as today, still awesome.

-Added mouse and controller VR comfort mode settings. VrSettings->MoveAim->locomotion settings
Tested but do not use regularly as I do not get VR Sim Sick, but Wow. Many ways of tailoring movement and tracking. Both mouse and controller. Seems like a lot of work went into this and it is solid. Thought the transitions in the ratcheting were jarring at first but then saw you even allow for customizing the transitions. How the heck did you come up with all of these ideas for locomotion? I have not seen some of these before.

-Added mouse tight and loose keyhole settings. Recommended mouse settings: keyholes defined, keyhole (loose), cursor body relative, look decoupled.
Tried this out. Love being able to continue working and still able to look around. Once in a while, the cursor would move while looking left or right while mining. I could not consistently replicate this, but I would be mining block in front and head-turn to the left and find that the cursor jumped to the edge of my current keyhole width (60 angs). Almost like it was still being dragged despite being on loose and not tight. Only was able to replicate a few times keyhole height =0 during the tests.
This setting will be a definite win for some people I think. I will keep using it and try to get used to de-coupled walking (that was a big change for me at least.

-Added controller mouse cursor emulation for GUI navigation. Allows navigation of the creative inventory. You'll need to bind a set of thumbstick axes for this in VrSettings->MoveAim->Remap controls
not tested yet

-Re-added world scale. I find 133% to be good for seated play.
Took me a while to find this as I was expecting it in 'Player pref' or "Stereo Rendering" rather than IPD, but it makes sense why it is there.
This was way too cool. I tried this out in an abandoned mining area. Like a little mouse or in a small toy car this was too cool. For praticality, I can see people using this to finetune scale to what they see in the real world.

-Chat text persistence setting
what an awesome idea. So useful for coordinates...

-Experimental mono renderer mode. All the Minecrift goodness for users without a Rift.
Very useful! Believe it or not, this is what I used when setting other people up with MC. Vanilla with Optifine helped ensure we walked through the same settings together. Thanks for bringing it back.

-The return of FSAA! Bring your 980Ti's / 390X's... ;-)
Even the lowest 1.2 setting can see a large difference, but when I turn this on aand look back and forthe (left-right-left-right) quickly, there is a bleed over of the other eye's image onto the wrong side. Try this out. For me, it stops when I turn FSAA off.
Render Scale vs FSSA can you explain what Render Scale does?

So That is it for me. Can't wait for 1.8 so I can go back on our server!!

EDIT:
-1.7.10 Pre5 known issues: Occasional large immersion breaking view / head tracking lockups. Hoping these will go away when 0.4.4 arrives and we port to that.
Not sure this ever effected extended-rift-as main display. Never saw it on pre5a. May have experienced it on 1.8 direct mode. Had to quit out to reset.
Damn, yet another comprehensive test run. Thanks greatly for the feedback! 8-)

- Ok good, extended mode, shaders are back in business.
- I can look at the map offset. There may be a nice easy fix for that; I'm sure it's purely based on head angle.
- Occasional cursor movement on mouse keyhole - loose. Hmmm, haven't seen that one. Need to reproduce. I am aware of an issue in general with the cursor - if you get very close to +/-90 deg pitch, all hell breaks loose with the cursor. I need to change the current Euler angle crosshair positioning implementation to a matrix or quaternion based one.
- World scale does have some cool effects, no doubt! :-)
- Hmmm, eye texture bleed through with FSAA? Need to double check that. FSAA = Render to larger buffer, downsample. Render scale = Oculus build in downsampling when you render to a larger than necessary buffer. FSAA looks better to me; but it may have a latency downside.
- As for 1.8...
StellaArtois
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by StellaArtois »

Ok, here's 1.8.1 Pre2, with 0.4.4 support (rename from .txt to .exe):
minecrift-1.8.1-PRE2-installer.txt
Mirror Here

Expect some transparency and player item offset issues etc. The Enchantment GUI offsets, hand view offset etc. should now be good.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
StellaArtois
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by StellaArtois »

EDIT see above post.
Toori
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Toori »

StellaArtois wrote:Ok, here's 1.8.1 Pre2, with 0.4.4 support (rename from .txt to .exe):
minecrift-1.8.1-PRE2-installer.txt
Mirror Here

Expect some transparency and player item offset issues etc. The Enchantment GUI offsets, hand view offset etc. should now be good.
Looking forward to test it now :D
CaptnYesterday
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by CaptnYesterday »

AWESOME!!!! I'm going to try it right now! I will let you know how it goes.
FYI, really easy to test (and give feedback) against that kind of change log you provided.

Edit: What is the binaural audio for? I know what it is but how does that work with MCrift
Edit 2: Works! I can't tell for sure, but I may have a frame rate drop from 1.7.10 pre 4 to 1.8.1 pre 2. Hard to tell why as it is not every where but only specific places and times. The server I am playing on is spigot 1.8 and they had done a lot of work while I was away. Maybe all the extra torches and maps in the area are causing the frame rate drop or maybe it is something with 1.8.1. Not sure but I'll test some more.
StellaArtois
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by StellaArtois »

CaptnYesterday wrote:Edit 2: Works! I can't tell for sure, but I may have a frame rate drop from 1.7.10 pre 4 to 1.8.1 pre 2. Hard to tell why as it is not every where but only specific places and times. The server I am playing on is spigot 1.8 and they had done a lot of work while I was away. Maybe all the extra torches and maps in the area are causing the frame rate drop or maybe it is something with 1.8.1. Not sure but I'll test some more.
I think I'm seeing a framerate drop as well. Not sure if it's something I've done, or Optifine (which is in Beta for 1.8), or Minecraft itself. I need to look into it, get some FPS metrics, do some frame time analysis. 1.8 definitely gets more judder for me in Direct mode than 1.7.10.
CaptnYesterday wrote:Edit: What is the binaural audio for? I know what it is but how does that work with MCrift
I can't take any credit for the Minecrift implementation, that was all mabrowning's work. Binaural audio give spatially correct 3D sound. If you use a JMumble voice server (as the Metacraft guys have done) and headphones you get full 3D positional chat based on head orientation and position! Try it! 8-)
CaptnYesterday
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by CaptnYesterday »

Binaural audio: Thats what I thought. Yeah I used to be active on Metacraft server and the mumble positional chat was definitely a 'wow' and I had a cool mini freak-out when Wormslayer showed me around.

Sorry to hear about the judder in direct mode. I still have zero in fullscreen extended (rift as main display). What I thought was judder was actually just framerate dropping below 75 when I was in various busy areas. Are you sure that your judder is not just framerate drop? As I am only getting FPS drop, and have 3 days off this week, I will test and find what stops the drop.

****EXTENDED MODE SETUP GUIDE****
Anyway, if you are at all interested in, I went ahead and wrote up how I do my extended mode in reddit and wanted to paste it here. Seems like alot but it is easy and when you are done setting up, it is almost as easy as direct and you NEVER need to look through the rift at the desktop:

The benefit to running Rift in extended-main. Is that you have a very good chance of (Assuming you can keep FPS at 75)eliminating 100% of judder, vertical artifacts/tearing, and well...everything else with a much broader support for all demos than Direct mode, at the moment. I will list a few things I did to make it easy on my side (Never have to look at desktop through rift...and get angry) It may help you or anyone else that reads this.
I will start at the beginning:

-I keep my secondary monitor unplugged (Just 1080p monitor and rift :cry: )
-Turn on Rift
-Open display properties from desktop
(If it opens on the rift use WINDOWS KEY + SHIFT + Arrow Key)
-Drag the Rift to the left side and make it the main display
-Open up the damndable CCC ATI control panel (if using ATI)
(If it opens on the rift use WINDOWS KEY + SHIFT + Arrow Key)
-Go to Desktop properties, make sure Rift is 75hz. My monitor is at 1080p 60hz and still works perfectly.
-I have Triple Buffering default (off). Close CCC
-Aero 'off' (but 'on' for Direct To HMD or... 1 FPS) This may not be needed any more. I keep aero on now in all cases and so far so good and one less setting.
-Great. Now turn off the Rift and do whatever until you are ready to open a VR App.

Wanna play? Get the VR app ready (open the folder), turn on the rift and if the folder or any console moves on to the rift, just WINDOWS KEY + SHIFT + Arrow Key and it will be on your monitor again. Run the app and put on the Rift.

Want direct mode? Just turn the option on and ensure Aero is on (if you even needed to disable it) and you are now ready for that mode too.

EDIT: Specific to MineCrift, if you are getting any judder (F3 shows good framerate), check to be sure that the 2 Vsync options are enabled (The slider and the toggle).

EDIT 2: (Feedback on 1.8.1 pre 2)
-The option 'Anisotropic filtering'. I turned this on by accident and noticed that we cannot see what it is set to. The menu just says "anisotropic filtering: " Any way for me to see what setting I have? I have messed with the menu size options but it seems that this option's name is too long. I need to get this set to off to continue clean testing.
-I have not been able to find the cause of the drastic framerate drop, but I see it out in the world frequently. I may be below 75 fps more than I meet it.
-I did notice something rather importnat and it is hard to quantify, so follow me on this one ;) . On 1.7.10 pre 4 I could play for a good 4-6+ hours and my eyes felt very relaxed. On 1.8.1 pre 2, even when the frame rate is good and 0 judder, something felt like it was straining my eyes. I can take a good 45minutes before the straining eye muscles start to give me a headache. I can't figure out why, but felt like the camera's were maybe off. I went to IPD settings and noticed that there was alot more here than in 1.7.10 pre 4. Is there a chance that something changed? I tried messing with all the ipd settings and manually doing them, etc but I change back and forth between versions and cannot bring 1.8.1 pre 4 to the comfort level that I have with 1.7.10 pre 4 (I left them on default Oculus profile on that version). A few beers helps me not care, but wanted to let you know.

EDIT 3: (attempts to restore frame rate)
I believe I've tried every combination of settings including setting everything to as low as possible without avail. This may be a 1.8 or 1.8.1 issue rather than your VR build. When nothing that I did seemed to work, I started googling and checking the Minecraft official forums and see that there is a pretty well-documented issue with frame rate and 1.8. Maybe waiting for a new version of OPTi fine? That's the only thing I could think of if it is not with the VR build

The only new evidence I can provide from testing is that the load appears to be additive overtime and does not appear to be much affected by the graphical settings from the menus (high or low settings). So I have about 100 torches in a room and the frame rate for me drops to minimum 60 when looking across them. Upon logging in, the frame rate does not drop immediately and takes just a little bit of time maybe 15 to 30 seconds before I start seeing the frame rate drop. It starts to drop pretty quickly then till it hits minimum of 60 -75 and stays there while looking around at the torches. If looking down the floor or wall, frame rate jumps immediately back up to steady 75 and stays there until I look back at a complicated scene.
StellaArtois
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by StellaArtois »

Wow, that's some nice analysis, thanks again Captn :-)

I find it worrying that you've detected some issues with the stereo view in 1.8. I need to look into that. Does 1.7.10 Pre5a1 have the same problem or is it only 1.8.1 Pre2?

As to the frame rate - Optifine is definitely a work in progress on 1.8, however it may also be something I've broken in the port to 1.8. More investigation on my part required.

Thanks as ever for investigating this with such rigour and enthusiasm, much appreciated!
CaptnYesterday
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by CaptnYesterday »

My pleasure. Troubleshooting and process optimization has always been pretty fun. I know you're working hard on this so if I can help a little then I'm satisfied. I will run your previous builds and let you know when I find regarding the stereo.

Any advice on the anisotropic filtering option?looks like it used to be a slider and became a button. I think maybe if I load in earlier version of the game and turn the setting off, it may translate that setting to the new version. I noticed some settings will always carryover. Anyway as always thanks for the release. We are having a great time with Minecrift.
thekitchensink
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by thekitchensink »

:woot this mod is great!!! I used it in 1.6.4, and I didn't have any issues. However, currently whenever I try to fullscreen minecrift, the shaders start to freak out, with odd textures on the left side and just shaders on the right, it seems. Then, I alt tabbed and this popped up:

http://pastebin.com/SmDqt6Re
I don't have forge installed, I am running 0.4.4, my rig is running with a gtx 770, so it should be able to handle this.
I'll attach screenshots soon,
Thekitchensink
EDIT: the error might have something to do with my actual monitor, which us not 1080p like the rift. When I started it in direct mode, the program renders for my 1680x1050 monitor which looks really bad in the rift. However, when I set my 1080p projector as my primary monitor, the issue goes away. (I only have one monitor hooked up at a time, not including the rift.) When I get home I'll tinker some more with it.
Last edited by thekitchensink on Sun Dec 14, 2014 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thekitchensink
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by thekitchensink »

attached is a screenshot of what the error looks like when I try to turn my rift to full screen. (using extended obviously)
CaptnYesterday
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by CaptnYesterday »

StellaArtois wrote:I find it worrying that you've detected some issues with the stereo view in 1.8. I need to look into that. Does 1.7.10 Pre5a1 have the same problem or is it only 1.8.1 Pre2?
Finished.
1.7.10 Pre5a1 and 1.8.1 Pre2 feel the same on the eyes (a bit stress full on eye muscles). 1.7.10 pre4 feels easier on the eyes, but it is definitely a hard thing to quantify and others may not feel it right away (or ever because maybe I am just crazy?). Anyway, when playing for about an hour on each, I can feel my eyes relaxing when I switch to 1.7.10 Pre4.

Thanks as always!!!
CaptnYesterday
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by CaptnYesterday »

thekitchensink wrote:attached is a screenshot of what the error looks like when I try to turn my rift to full screen. (using extended obviously)
Hey did you ever figure this out? I run extended as well and could not replicate.
Are you running 1.8.1pre2 Minecrift?
Are you running rift as main display?
I only have seen this issue (or something that looks like it) when running an earlier version of 1.7.10pre4. And only then when I had one of the shaders turned on.
CaptnYesterday
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by CaptnYesterday »

Hi Stella,

Firstly, you don't get a holiday. :lol: Secondly, I have put maybe an extra 30 hours in since I last gave you an update and i can no longer detect the stereo strain on the eyes. I think I just got used to it or I was just crazy in the first place :? .

Bug:
-Bed stereo is off and the look is reversed
-Under water seems to have a translucent background that is a little discomforting in VR.
-Shot arrows do not seem to follow the cursor. (I have 0 keyhole vertical locked to head movement only and an medium length horizontal keyhole).

Outside of the low framerate (Which I still think is a 1.8 optifine issue as it was beta) things are working great. Again, the rate does not seem to fluctuate on my system much (if at all) when all settings are high or low/off. What does affect it seems to be number of objects in my direct field of view. IE Looking at lots of torches or a mass of farm animals.

Still having a great time with it regardless. Happy Holidays!
thekitchensink
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by thekitchensink »

CaptnYesterday wrote:
thekitchensink wrote:attached is a screenshot of what the error looks like when I try to turn my rift to full screen. (using extended obviously)
Hey did you ever figure this out? I run extended as well and could not replicate.
Are you running 1.8.1pre2 Minecrift?
Are you running rift as main display?
I only have seen this issue (or something that looks like it) when running an earlier version of 1.7.10pre4. And only then when I had one of the shaders turned on.
I haven't had time to check the issue out, but I believe the issue was that the rift wasn't the main display. I am also running 1.8.1 pre2. I switched my monitor out for a 1080p one, so the odd resolution might have been part of the problem.
Caliber Mengsk
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Caliber Mengsk »

Is there any way to get mineforge working with any of the pre-releases for 1.7.10? The checkbox is obviously grayed out and unclickable, but is there a way to do it? Even if it has to be done manually?
elliottmyers
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by elliottmyers »

Check this out:
http://youtu.be/s4XottjkHzQ

Separating the user's "facing direction" with "aiming" and "looking" is the key to Virtual Reality feeling natural. We think there can be nothing better than relaxing in Minecraft with the VRXplorer.

We want this mod for all games! Please help us!

Please comment also:) We need feedback.

Elliott
maxpare79
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by maxpare79 »

Ok first of all hello everyone...
Got my rift DK2 3 weeks ago...now I am trying to get minecrift to work...so far I tried 1.6.4 and 1.8.1 both with the same result, in my rift instead of seeing a 3D image I see two identical image in both eyes...

I am running in extended mode, starting up the game, activating VR mode then sending the window to my rift and putting it fullscreen, but no 3D...

Anyone can give me a hint?

Thank you

EDIT: Forget what I just said, problem is the image is in the wrong eye, in my left eye I see the right screen and in the right eye, the left side of the screen...what's up with that? Also in one of the VR option page there is a box where it says Oculus Profile :No but this one is greyed out and I can't click it
maxpare79
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by maxpare79 »

No one? (Please see edit in previous post)
maxpare79
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by maxpare79 »

So basically this thread is dead???
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

It may be that your Oculus profile got corrupted. Try creating a new profile and doing the IPD setup and everything.

You can also delete the ProfilesDB.json file before you make a new profile just to be sure.
maxpare79
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by maxpare79 »

Hey Cyber,

Thx for answering...every other game/demo works just fine, the only thing doing this kind of behavior is minecrift...
JobeSmith
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by JobeSmith »

Hello everybody!

I'm pretty new to Minecraft (yes I know it's 2015) and VR, but after testing the DK2 of a friend I was simply blown away. Of the Rift experience and also of the fact how well done Minecrift is. Thank you very, very much StellaArtois.

However, my system is quite old. I'm running a first gen i7 with 6GB of RAM and a GeForce 570.

When I play Minecraft without the Rift, with Optifine and most of the quality settings on maximum or slightly below, with a 128x128 ressource pack but without any shader mod, I get about 110-130 fps out of it. As soon I play with the rift, I get 25 to 38 fps. (which is as I understand because of the VSync, I might get more than 38 but not enough for stable 75 fps)

So can anyone tell me if a GPU upgrade would help in that case? Or is the overall performance of the system too weak? I understand, that in standard Minecraft processor performance is more important than GPU power, but I'm wondering, if maybe the Rift Mod strongly relies on GPU functions and a better GPU could bring me the extra power needed for 75 fps?

Thanks!
Jedk1
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Jedk1 »

Hey i have a dk1 and want to use the 1.8.1 version of this, but 0.4.4 doesnt detect my dk1. Is there a 1.8.1 version of minecrift that uses the 0.4.3 sdk?
Trippenfaust
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Trippenfaust »

I have exactly the same problem!! have you solved it? im going crazy trying to fix this :(
thekitchensink
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by thekitchensink »

Trippenfaust wrote:
I have exactly the same problem!! have you solved it? im going crazy trying to fix this :(
The way I ended up fixing it was switching to a different monitor. Is your main monitor 1080p?
Tiedye
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Tiedye »

Is this thread dead?
chillidogg7
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by chillidogg7 »

Hey has anyone gotten this to work with opentrack head tracking? i have been playing around with google cardboard + splashtop (usb tethered) + open track, but i cannot figure out how to get it to work. Mouse emulation causes the screen to spin, and i have googled around to see if there are some settings but have not found any. also i have tried to adjust ipd settings in the game but i cannot figure out how to change where the center of the screen is. because im using a high resolution lg g3 and custom lenses setup when start up minecrift i feel like my eyes are crossing in order to see the 3d effect property and causing a little strain, however i have a temporary work arround for that, i just over re-size the screen until each center point is in the middle of each half of the screen.

Anyways, Great job on this its really cool i just need to figure out how i can tweak it for the full immersion. any help would be greatly appreciated, Thank you!
cubedparadox
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by cubedparadox »

This mod is great, but I really wish there was forge support for 1.7.10.
Any chance of an update soon? I'd be willing to build from source if there's an experimental patch or something.
Thanks!
khoraski
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by khoraski »

chillidogg7 wrote:Hey has anyone gotten this to work with opentrack head tracking? i have been playing around with google cardboard + splashtop (usb tethered) + open track, but i cannot figure out how to get it to work.
That's a complex setup. All I did was use Trinus VR. Trinus VR will display the game into the Cardboard headset via USB tethering and it will allow you to move the mouse by rotating the device. So just enable pitch control in the VR settings and you have headtracking. Some people have problems with Trinus VR getting stuck on the Minecraft home screen. If you get this problem, try changing "Capture Mode" to "Compatible" and it should fix it.

Also make sure to disable Trinus VR's lens correction or else it'll look very strange.
chillidogg7
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by chillidogg7 »

khoraski wrote:
chillidogg7 wrote:Hey has anyone gotten this to work with opentrack head tracking? i have been playing around with google cardboard + splashtop (usb tethered) + open track, but i cannot figure out how to get it to work.
That's a complex setup. All I did was use Trinus VR. Trinus VR will display the game into the Cardboard headset via USB tethering and it will allow you to move the mouse by rotating the device. So just enable pitch control in the VR settings and you have headtracking. Some people have problems with Trinus VR getting stuck on the Minecraft home screen. If you get this problem, try changing "Capture Mode" to "Compatible" and it should fix it.

Also make sure to disable Trinus VR's lens correction or else it'll look very strange.

Thanks ill give that a try. i kind of gave up on it for a while because i was having issues getting the head tracking to work with the mouse still independent, maybe tonight ill play with is again.

One thing that has been disappointing me lately is the quality of trying to play vr games via splashtop and even Trinus dosent seem to be able to push the resolution I want at a decent quality. I know this is a bit off topic but i have an LG g3 and the screen resolution is gorgeous, but when i try to play games at the full resolution of the phone it looks terrible, i think because of a combination of artifacts from compression and i think its scaling the screen and not using my native res. I was hoping to be able to get by for a few more months on my home brew vr but it leaves me wanting an occulus or similar sooner. well it was a fun project to tinker with but i guess i cannot expect the quality and performance to be similar to that of a consumer grade vr headset.

Though the whole process was a lot of fun to play with. I just want to strap my cardboard LG vr to my head and Play Elite Dangerous Darn-it! :)
loxai
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by loxai »

The balance and tradeoff between quality and speed is tricky, but Trinus keeps getting better and better (or, at least, I try! :) )
There have been quite a few changes since the last post, so maybe worth giving it another try?
One of the recent changes was improving the non lens correction mode, which gets better speed (although, of course, image gets a bit distorted around the edges). Worth noting that the shader applied for lens correction can also decrease the quality when the warp settings are high (resulting on an effect similar to compression artifacts), so that's an extra point to consider disabling the correction.
Indeed, it will be hard to compete with dedicated solutions like the consumer version of the Oculus, but it certainly wins on the value for money category.

For anyone that hasn't tried Trinus yet, go ahead, get the free Lite version from the Android store (server at trinusvr.com) and experiment with it... here's a code to remove time restrictions for a trial period: moretrinus

Oh, and there's another video mode that might work with Minecrift: Default. I haven't tried the game myself, but I know Compatible mode doesn't yield great results.
Creator of TrinusVR, a software solution to play PC VR using your smartphone
Try it for free!
http://trinusvr.com
chillidogg7
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by chillidogg7 »

Thanks! I will give it another go this weekend.
NikoKun
Cross Eyed!

Post by NikoKun »

Any chance of this being updated for SDK 0.7?

I'd love to get back into minecraft in VR, but I can't go back to pre-0.7 anymore on Windows 10, plus the performance improvements are simply too good to go back.
jojojmw
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by jojojmw »

ok I have tried and tried and tried to get it to work but all I get is white lines across my minecraft head tracking the blue light is on but no picture in my oculus help plz

Return to “Minecrift”