Virtuix Omni - Omni treadmill for VR applications

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
Pheregrim
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: Virtuix Omni - Omni treadmill for VR applications

Post by Pheregrim »

yomer wrote: Have you thought about filling the Omni with special studio quality foam to muffle the sound? You can get some in foambymail, IIRC. The sound seems to be amplified because the Omni is hollow; basically like a drum.
Clever, I bet most of it is hollow, would probably be a easy hack at least, but you're still running with hard plastic pads on a hard plastic surface, doomed to make some noise.

My first idea was to add a low friction fabric to the pads.
JanVR
Cross Eyed!

Post by JanVR »

The sound in the video from Pirillo is bad; the Omni is not that loud. That said, we might make "Omni Pads" sometime in the future, which are basically foam mats that can reduce vibrations and sound (for people that live in apartments), much like those mats that exist for regular treadmills.

Yomer, no worries about the support arms - the final product will look slightly different than this prototype.
OutatimeTV
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by OutatimeTV »

Well from the face gesture in that last Pirillo video at about 1:00 minute I can see that running on the Omni is loud. :?
But we will need more testing videos like that.
Benjimoron
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Benjimoron »

Have been following this for ages and haven't posted on it yet.

Just wanted to say well done, it looks amazing! Good luck on your kickstarter.
blindboxes
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by blindboxes »

yomer wrote:
zalo wrote:This is why we need a wireless Hydra! :lol:
But this is more than wireless. The base needs to be in a fixed point to allow the controllers to get their position tracked. If you're walking with a 360° freedom, the base station cannot be fixed to the Omni, it has to be in a central reference point... :shock: this just hit me, hot from the brain... What if I fixed the Hydra base to a pole to the ceiling, and have it fixed over myself at the very center of the Omni? Could the Hydra detect the controllers' movements being at the center? Something tells me that it would have to know at which angle you're facing in order to calculate the position, emulating that it's always in front of you. Am I over complicating the implementation? Am I missing something? :?

Code: Select all

----------------------------
                          ||
                          ||
                          ||
                         ( z) <-- Hydra base

mmmmmmmm
                      S __  __ S  
                 BP   (  o J o )    BP <--Controller
                  \ \  \   -¬ /   / /  
                   \ \ _ ------_ / /
                    \ __        __/
                        |      |
                     (===========)
                        |      |              
                     (Rest of Omni)   

The only other viable option would be to put the base on your chest or back since those are fixed reference points in relation to your hands. And even those have a little displacement when you move your arms.
You are indeed missing something. If you rotate a Hydra controller 180 degrees from the base, it will auto-offset the rotation, the turning of left and right to the orientation of the controller. Just imagine the hydra controllers as an aeroplane, that's how the offsetting works. The base only needs to be directly in front of the Hydra. So a wireless Hydra sitting in front of the Omni should have absolutely no problem.

In fact, Hydra won't operate properly if you have the base station over your head, as it would mean that they Hydra is no longer sitting in front of the base station.

I can attest to this because I do own a Hydra. I was thinking Hydra was a gimmick this whole time, until I bought one and was just frickin amazed. It actually adds to my immersion in game, and I don't even have a Rift yet!

Also, you can actually strap a Hydra to your chest or back, but you will have to set the orientation manually. Sixense updated their SDK for this. Pretty simple actually, just set orientation to 90 degrees and you're good to go. Unfortunately, the MotionCreator hasn't been updated to support this, but all in due time.
drifter
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by drifter »

OutatimeTV wrote:Well from the face gesture in that last Pirillo video at about 1:00 minute I can see that running on the Omni is loud. :?
Yep the noise will be a real issue for those living in a flat.

Also the actual Hydra is maybe a bit short-ranged for the Omni (hence the jerkiness)
Enzo
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Enzo »

Howdy,

very interested in the Omni, but to maximize its effectiveness I think it needs integration with a gun with positional tracking. I would like to know if you have experimented with a gun with positional tracking, would like to see how that works out. Have you tried this yet?
JanVR
Cross Eyed!

Post by JanVR »

Hi Enzo,

Yes, we have a demo on our website and Youtube channel that showcases independent gun tracking by use of a Razr Hydra (just google Omni+Hydra, it should come up).

Best regards,

Jan
Okta
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by Okta »

Browsing Indiegogo I came across some interesting things.
Looks like lots of con artists on there. Someone has created a parallel Omni campaign on Indiegogo to seemingly to on sell Omni's at a mark up while pretending to be the creators. I gather they just pledge a real Omni for every pledge they get and put in the clients adress. http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/omni- ... orite-game

Also these clowns with an RC bug you can buy on Ebay for $13 http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/bugzy ... a-real-bug
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/330723129408 ... 1423.l2649
"I did not chip in ten grand to seed a first investment round to build value for a Facebook acquisition."
Notch on the FaceDisgrace buyout.
NightlHlawk
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by NightlHlawk »

Wow, that's pretty shady. I reported the project.
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

NightlHlawk wrote:Wow, that's pretty shady. I reported the project.
I reported both projects. I claimed theft of IP, and I provided links to the original owner web pages. I got notices back from two different persons at Indiegogo.

In the case of the Omni, the reuse of Jan's photos was theft of IP. They took that one down.

In the Bugz one, they took their own photos. The rules allow just about anything except posting illegal content, or copyrighted text or images without permission of the owner. So, reselling at a profit is okay as long as you use photos that you took yourself. That project remains in operation. If you donate $1, you can post a negative comment. Not sure if they can remove comments, but if they can the could only leave positive comments, which seems very biased.
NightlHlawk
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by NightlHlawk »

geekmaster wrote:I reported both projects. I claimed theft of IP, and I provided links to the original owner web pages. I got notices back from two different persons at Indiegogo.

In the case of the Omni, the reuse of Jan's photos was theft of IP. They took that one down.

In the Bugz one, they took their own photos. The rules allow just about anything except posting illegal content, or copyrighted text or images without permission of the owner. So, reselling at a profit is okay as long as you use photos that you took yourself. That project remains in operation. If you donate $1, you can post a negative comment. Not sure if they can remove comments, but if they can the could only leave positive comments, which seems very biased.
Yeah, when I checked the bug one out I reported it as well. Only got responses back from the team saying "Thank you for blahblah" but nothing after that. Good to hear about the Omni submission but meh about the bug one. I'm only just getting into crowd funding but KS seems a lot more professional than IGG. Just how I see it. =X
JanVR
Cross Eyed!

Post by JanVR »

Wow, was not aware of this. Thanks a lot guys! Shady business.
8bit
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by 8bit »

Good job guys it looks like the indiegogo page for omni is taken down.

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”