Omni at Quakecon

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
greenknight
Cross Eyed!

Omni at Quakecon

Post by greenknight »

Thank you Jan for being open to answering questions about your Omni treadmill. As a recent college graduate, I am not quite ready to help back you though I think I will buy the commercial version sometime next year. I am very excited about VR and especially devices like the Omni that can reduce motion sickness and add immersion (and exercise) to the VR experience.

Its great that you are going to be at Quakecon this year! Will you have only one omni to let the public try out? I expect very very long wait times, and I certainly don't mind waiting a few hours if I can get off work. (Hopefully I will have a real job by then).

One final question: which games or demos will you be using? Half life 2 and TF2 are obvious choices but perhaps there are better demos than that.

Also, if you can snag an HD oculus rift prototype, that would be great.
JanVR
Cross Eyed!

Re: Omni at Quakecon

Post by JanVR »

Greenknight, thanks! Not sure yet how we will manage QuakeCon; our thought is to work with a sign-up roster, so that everyone gets a proper 10-15 minutes to try out and experience the Omni, and we avoid hour-long waiting lines (well, that's the theory... in practice all of this will get out of hand, ha). We are working on a new prototype to get ready by then, and perhaps new game demos. Stay tuned!

Jan
greenknight
Cross Eyed!

Post by greenknight »

Ah a roster, that could help the inevitable stampede on the first day. Well, maybe.

:)

This sounds like backers may get a chance to sign up first for the demo, given the hints towards this at the 10 dollar level. It kinda makes sense to let the higher level backers sign up first or earlier. I only wish I had already experienced it! Then I would have better questions...
Raptor5150
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Raptor5150 »

Is the omni going to be at the first day of quakecon?? I dont want to take my friend on the first day and them not being there..

are they confirmed for the first day? I know oculus wasent and no one knew what I was talking about until the 2nd day..

Thanks.
JanVR
Cross Eyed!

Post by JanVR »

Hi Raptor, yes, we will be there.

Best regards,

Jan
ElMatarife
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by ElMatarife »

Are you planning on putting that sign up sheet online, pre-conference? What kind of hours are you planning on keeping? Quakecon BYOC is a pretty nocturnal event if this is your first time.
JanVR
Cross Eyed!

Post by JanVR »

Don't think we'll do a sign-up sheet after all - if you are a backer, just come up to us and let us know, and we'll have you try out the Omni. We did the same at Comic-Con, which worked well. Our backers get a royal treatment!

Looking forward to seeing you then,

Jan
ElMatarife
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by ElMatarife »

Should I just shoot you a message over Kickstarter or will you have a booth in the exhibit hall?
JanVR
Cross Eyed!

Post by JanVR »

Just come to our booth. Looking forward to it!

Jan

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”