Are you "Angry" at Samsungs lack of GEAR VR News?

Hannibalj2
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Are you "Angry" at Samsungs lack of GEAR VR News?

Post by Hannibalj2 »

I am curious about the lack of news from Samsung. Personally I feel they are having internal issues with either the software or the hardware. I think the Note 4 is a nice phone an all, but I would have not purchased the phone if wasn't for the Gear VR.

So now I am faced with this situation, I don't have the DK2 and tried the positional tracking before, it is nice.
I am starting to consider selling my Note 4 and purchase a DK2 if by new years eve the Gear VR isn't released.

It will be interesting if Samsung slips their release date to after December. What would the reaction of angry costumers, enthusiast be?

Anyway, how do you feel about Samsung lack of announcements? Would you still support the Gear VR if they fail to deliver?

8-)
Portal Dual 180+ HFOV HMD: http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=18335

PORTAL DUAL VR, Downloads: http://hannibalj2.jimdo.com/
Neil
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: Are you "Angry" at Samsungs lack of GEAR VR News?

Post by Neil »

I wouldn't lose sleep over this. Samsung/Oculus made all kinds of public commitments, etc. I'm sure it will get released. There is even talk that it will be announced tomorrow (Monday).

If you had to choose a phone, I'd still go with the Samsung Note 4 model because it's also compatible with ImmersiON-VRelia's GO HMD and other options coming to market. If VR is the single most important selling point for you, you'll be able to cover more ground this way.

I wouldn't invest in a DK2 unless you're a developer. While it's a good proof of concept, the DK1 was more elegant and easy to use. On my machine, it doesn't always recognize the DK2 HMD and I often have to turn my computer off and on for it to do so. It's also bloated with wires that makes it a pain to connect and disconnect. It's a fun product for sure; it's just not consumer friendly yet.

Regards,
Neil
Dilip
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Dilip »

Neil wrote:If you had to choose a phone, I'd still go with the Samsung Note 4 model because it's also compatible with ImmersiON-VRelia's GO HMD and other options coming to market. If VR is the single most important selling point for you
Absolute true if u are Samsung devotee.................(Over priced hardware and blot full and LAGGY TOUCHWIZ)
www.androidpit.com wrote: Performance
The Note 4 has a slightly better specs sheet than the G3, which came out several months earlier, but where the G3 impresses with its stability and fluidity, the Note 4 struggles occasionally. Part of this is due to TouchWiz, but as I mentioned before, lags, freezes and even reboots should not occur at all on a device with internals and software this good. Yet I experienced all of these on the Note 4 and only very, very occasionally on the G3. Both could be better in terms of stability, but both are very fast, able to handle some serious processor-demanding tasks and represent amongst the best Android performance available right now.
lgg3 samsung galaxy note4 10 While the Note 4 has better specs, it lags and freezes more than the G3. © ANDROIDPIT

The Note 4 houses either a quad-core Snapdragon 805 CPU clocked at 2.7 GHz with Adreno 420 GPU or an octa-core Exynos 5 5433 CPU with four cores clocked at 1.9 GHz and another four at 1.3 GHz, and a Mali-T760 GPU. Both come with 3 GB of RAM and Cat. 6 LTE speeds (in the Snapdragon variant). The LG G3 rocks a quad-core Snapdragon 801 clocked at 2.5 GHz with Adreno 330 GPU and 3 GB of RAM in the 32 GB version and 2 GB of RAM in the 16 GB version. On a pure hardware frontthe Note 4 has the G3 beat, but I've never experienced lags and crashes on the G3 like I have on the Note 4. It is possible I just have some buggy firmware though.
Here he thinks particular firmware is buggy, Sadly its TOUCHWIZ real resource hungry and Buggy thing...

http://www.androidpit.com/samsung-galax ... 4-vs-lg-g3

besides may be LG G3 perform even beautiful with VRelia GO due to simple math....(Strictly if you consider VRElia GO then only... Here G3 is way better)

Oculus DK1: 1280 x 800 x 3 (RGB) = 3.07 MPx.
Oculus DK2: 1920 x 1080 x 2 (PenTile OLED) = 4.15 MPx.
VRElia + LG G3 : 2560 X 1440 X 3 (RGB) = 11.06 MPx
VRElia + Note 4: 2560 X 1440 X 2 = 7.37 MPx.

Going for G3 will make you save bucks too....
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... -_-Product
LG G3 $500 off contract + $100 Vrelia GO = $600.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... -_-Product
Note4 $864 off contract + ~$200 Gear VR = $1064.

You may later consider consumer rift at $464 with your now saved $$$ highest likely 8-)
;) (it can be $350-400 too!)
Neil wrote:I wouldn't invest in a DK2 unless you're a developer. While it's a good proof of concept, the DK1 was more elegant and easy to use. On my machine, it doesn't always recognize the DK2 HMD and I often have to turn my computer off and on for it to do so. It's also bloated with wires that makes it a pain to connect and disconnect. It's a fun product for sure; it's just not consumer friendly yet.
I too tried DK2, proven too.
Good device but in infancy stage 2 ( DK2 Nursery Kid - DK1 was PlayGroup :lol: ) Head Tracking and positional tracking WoW till you be in camera FoV
simple BAD Visuals. Handling like mentioned earlier full of MUMBO JUMBO... Be ready to tinker a LoT.

May be Consumer Version is still YEARS AWAY.....
No doubt GEAR VR taking too long.... ;) ITs powered by Oculus After all :P
Dilip
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Dilip »

Released Now!
http://www.roadtovr.com/save-30-gear-vr-coupon-codes/

As explained above....its expensive biz
But as u HV Note4.......

Enjoy discounts!
Pretty insights
http://www.engadget.com/2014/12/08/sams ... aunch-faq/
martinlandau
Certif-Eyed!

Post by martinlandau »

Dilip wrote:
Neil wrote:If you had to choose a phone, I'd still go with the Samsung Note 4 model because it's also compatible with ImmersiON-VRelia's GO HMD and other options coming to market. If VR is the single most important selling point for you
Absolute true if u are Samsung devotee.................(Over priced hardware and blot full and LAGGY TOUCHWIZ)
www.androidpit.com wrote: Performance
The Note 4 has a slightly better specs sheet than the G3, which came out several months earlier, but where the G3 impresses with its stability and fluidity, the Note 4 struggles occasionally. Part of this is due to TouchWiz, but as I mentioned before, lags, freezes and even reboots should not occur at all on a device with internals and software this good. Yet I experienced all of these on the Note 4 and only very, very occasionally on the G3. Both could be better in terms of stability, but both are very fast, able to handle some serious processor-demanding tasks and represent amongst the best Android performance available right now.
lgg3 samsung galaxy note4 10 While the Note 4 has better specs, it lags and freezes more than the G3. © ANDROIDPIT
http://www.codergears.com/Blog/?p=1313

Dilip it is a pleasure to meet you. Have you seen John Carmacks post on his software development of the GEAR VR software?

John Carmack says:
December 15, 2014 at 11:34 pm
I had almost nothing to do with the PC Oculus SDK — Michael Antanov was the primary architect.

The Gear VR SDK has my fingerprints all over it, but it was written in a Really Big Hurry, and I wouldn’t hold it out as being a spectacular design exercise.

This does seem to add some weight to your concerns that bugginess and software problems could bloat a superior hardware device with code that is not efficient or elegant. I am surprised carmack would admit this publicly.
The futures so bright, I gotta wear shades!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDdI_sfNop8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dilip
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Dilip »

@martinlandau

Same pleasure here :)

My point was Touchwiz itself is 'Over tweaked android' which has many UFO (for non Samsung) that makes it
Sluggish hangworthy and successively becoming less responsive over extended use. Nothing against oculus codes.

I admired DK2 for its WoW tracking and SuperWoW positional tracking. FoV is great too but some how for me
Bad visuals breaks immersion (which i many time felt even in 2D mode on my LG D2342P in dark room). I believe
Hard earned cash must be spent wisely where I emphasize on cost not necessarily just price but more its about price to performance ratio. So its not search for cheapest but Value For Money.

I have used many Samsung phones from $30 to $300 for smart phones I realized Samsung use bad plastiky build. Mostly packed hardware is over priced hardly exception. Am posting this with MOTO G Gen1 and its WOW at $200 when purchased same or worst performing nearest samsung phone was $400. Here is point.

May be Gear VR VFM at $200 its certainly IMHO bad to locked at Note 4 having all Samsung limitations.

Return to “Oculus VR”