Falcon BMS 4.33

Case by case Vireio Perception game support discussion. One thread per game!
oldgoat5
One Eyed Hopeful

Falcon BMS 4.33

Post by oldgoat5 »

Hi,

For some time I have tried getting Perception to work with Falcon BMS 4.33.

I have added a profile and tweaked some settings over time. The first issue is that the menu screen in Falcon BMS is all black, except the cursor. This is probably due to the main Falcon BMS menu being hardcoded to 1024x768. But I am still able to hear and click the buttons. When I load up a flight, it crashes to desktop on one of the first draw calls.

I have been looking through the Perception source code to try to add support the hard way, but could use some help from an expert here. Maybe there are some config tricks to help get this to work that I can't find, or some suggestions on where to handle the hardcoded menu vs the user set ingame resolution. The game engine is based on Falcon4 from 1998, but has been given many updates, such as DX9.

It would be really nice for our virtual fighter wings to be able to use the CV1 with this.

Thanks

Goat
EisernSchild
Vireio Perception Developer

Re: Falcon BMS 4.33

Post by EisernSchild »

Hi Goat !

First time i hear from this, Falcon BMS is really an exciting project !!

First of all : Are you sure they still use DirectX 9.0 ? They ALWAYS use the latest hardware. They even say following :
Microsoft DX10 does not support DirectPlay & DirectPlayVoice. These two components are required for the older IVC that was in previous versions of Falcon.
found here:

http://www.bmsforum.org/forum/content.php?132

In my ears that sounds like they used DirectX 9 in previous versions (< v4.33) and now use DX10+. Would make sense.

In case it could be that they still use DX9 for the main menu and then switch to DX10+ for the game itself. That would explain why your menu screen is black, and this black menu screen (using DX9) can eventually have various reasons.

We currently are on the ball to finish the new architecture including support for DX10/11 (first DX11), i think then it would make more sense to take another approach on this fabulous simulator.

Kind Regards, Denis
oldgoat5
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by oldgoat5 »

Hi Denis,

I have got confirmation from the developers that DirectX 9 is used for the UI and in-game for 4.33 here http://www.bmsforum.org/forum/showthrea ... post358145. I also had the same issue trying it with the older version 4.32. It originally used a game engine called Glide. Maybe the new Perception version will help out, for now I will keep reading through the source code to try to get an idea, I'm new to this type of programming.

Thanks

Goat
Nakon
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Nakon »

I'm very interested
Hoping bms 4.33 can run in vireio!
Hstreet
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Hstreet »

As a long time falcon flyer, it would probably be better to try and get them to add in native support.. They do have the source code for the game (the BMS Team)

seeing as how Falcon has support for the likes of TrackIR and other tracking software already added I can't imagine it would take too much for them to get native support in for the Rift in..

maybe now that CV1 has been announced they will add it.
KydDynoMyte
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by KydDynoMyte »

Falcon BMS 4.33 U1 looks great in TriDef except for the HUD. Falcon 4.0 is currently on sale for $3.49 on Steam. Would gifting it to any devs help out on getting it supported in Vireio later on?
EisernSchild

Post by EisernSchild »

Hi !

We are currently working on DX9 support for the new architecture (v4). Can't say when this is finished but then BMS is definately high priority.

Don't need to gift it, I'll get it soon !

Regards, Denis
oldgoat5
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by oldgoat5 »

Great to hear! I've been writing logs and running PIX experiments to try to figure out the black menu screen at least in side by side view in 3.x. The debug runtime shows the flashing pink and yellow showing the back buffer wasn't rendered to.

I thought the device may not have been reset properly since BMS forces the viewport to 1024x768, but it turns out the lost device log

Code: Select all

Direct3D9: (ERROR) :Lost due to display uniqueness change
only shows up in fullscreen mode, if I set the desktop to 1024x768 or run windowed mode it doesn't get lost, and I think it resets properly anyway.

19	<0x0F783188> IDirect3DDevice9::CreateRenderTarget(1024, 768, D3DFMT_A16B16G16R16F, D3DMULTISAMPLE_NONE, 0x00000000, FALSE, 0x0018F41C --> 0x0F77B1B0, NULL)	5294089216					
I saw lots of

Direct3D9: (ERROR) :Unsupported mag filter.
Direct3D9: (ERROR) :Invalid texture sampler state value. SetSamplerState failed.
but in a comment in the code it looks like this might be normal for Vireio.

SetVertexShader
SetVertexShader(NULL)
Cur Vertex Shader: 0
Set Pixel Shader: 0
SetPixelShader
SetPixelShader(NULL)
StretchRect
Present
Direct3D9: (WARN) :Ignoring redundant SetRenderState - 7
Direct3D9: (WARN) :Ignoring redundant SetRenderState - 14
Direct3D9: (WARN) :Ignoring redundant SetRenderState - 27
Direct3D9: (WARN) :Ignoring redundant SetRenderState - 15
Direct3D9: (WARN) :Ignoring redundant SetRenderState - 52
Direct3D9: (WARN) :Ignoring redundant SetTextureStageState. Stage: 0, State: 2
Direct3D9: (WARN) :Ignoring redundant SetTextureStageState. Stage: 0, State: 4
Direct3D9: (WARN) :Ignoring redundant SetTextureStageState. Stage: 0, State: 32
Direct3D9: (WARN) :Ignoring redundant SetRenderState - 27
Direct3D9: (WARN) :Ignoring redundant SetRenderState - 7
Direct3D9: (WARN) :Ignoring redundant SetRenderState - 14
Direct3D9: (WARN) :Ignoring redundant SetRenderState - 15
Direct3D9: (WARN) :Ignoring redundant SetSamplerState. Sampler: 0, State: 11
Direct3D9: (WARN) :Ignoring redundant SetSamplerState. Sampler: 1, State: 11
Direct3D9: (ERROR) :Invalid texture sampler state value. SetSamplerState failed.
Direct3D9: (ERROR) :SetSamplerState failed.
Direct3D9: (ERROR) :SetSamplerState failed.
Direct3D9: (WARN) :Ignoring redundant SetSamplerState. Sampler: 0, State: 7
Direct3D9: (WARN) :Ignoring redundant SetSamplerState. Sampler: 1, State: 7
Direct3D9: (WARN) :SetVertexDeclaration: NULL declaration pointer
Direct3D9: (ERROR) :Need to call BeginScene before rendering.
Direct3D9: (ERROR) :DrawPrimitive failed.
Draw failed
I'm not sure how other games work but it looks like the menu is made by loading textures and sprites, maybe the repeated DrawPrimitive failures are normal in this case while in the menu.

Still tons to learn, can't find much info on debugging a directx proxy dll so its just logging and reading about direct3d. Someone said VorpX gets the menu to show but it crashes going to 3d, so it should be possible and hopefully something small. Hopefully with the v4 architecture it just works.

KydDynoMyte wrote:Falcon BMS 4.33 U1 looks great in TriDef except for the HUD. Falcon 4.0 is currently on sale for $3.49 on Steam. Would gifting it to any devs help out on getting it supported in Vireio later on?
I got the hud to render further away + bigger in the cockpit .dat, though its max distance is limited and disappears except when viewed from the corner of the screen. This might have been due to putting it past the max view distance fog though, although that doesn't make a ton of sense.
stubboyo
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by stubboyo »

Oldgoat, are you running Falcon in windowed mode (add -window to shortcut to Launcher.exe)? I'm not sure if this would help, but it's something to try. Thanks again for your efforts!
oldgoat5
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by oldgoat5 »

stubboyo wrote:Oldgoat, are you running Falcon in windowed mode (add -window to shortcut to Launcher.exe)? I'm not sure if this would help, but it's something to try. Thanks again for your efforts!
Yeah tried that using the config option checkbox, maybe ill try like that. Also tried setting desktop to 1024x768 and using that in falcon.
KydDynoMyte
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by KydDynoMyte »

If any is working on Vireio support for Falcon BMS, they just released BMS version 4.33 U2 that might be a little less buggy.

Return to “Game Support”