The Vanishing of Ethan Carter

Case by case Vireio Perception game support discussion. One thread per game!
kosmomerz
One Eyed Hopeful

The Vanishing of Ethan Carter

Post by kosmomerz »

Dear people,

Even if Vireio v2.1.1 according to this link supports "Vanishing" I still cannot run it in Side-by-Side mode...
I tried already everyting including copying the perception .dll to steamapps\common\The Vanishing of Ethan Carter\Binaries\Win32 resp. steamapps\common\The Vanishing of Ethan Carter\Binaries\Win64, and by renaming AstronautsGame-Win32-Shipping resp. AstronautsGame-Win64-Shipping to UDK.exe.

Still, if I run this exe file along with perception 2.1.2 driver (that I've downloaded right now, but it says it were 2.1.1a) the game still runs 2d as usual. Smooth and perfect, but 2d.

I've already got to run NaissanceE with those tricks perfectly in sbs mode (which is insanely gorgeous), but what can I do in the case of "Vanishing"?

I'm running Win 8.1 pro 64 bit, x64
with NVidia Quadro K1100M and Intel HD Graphics 4600

Thank you!
DrBeef
Vireio Perception Developer

Re: The Vanishing of Ethan Carter

Post by DrBeef »

Could you download tracespy: https://tracespy.codeplex.com/

And run it and start capture, then run The Vanishing, exit the game from the title menu and paste the output from TraceSpy below please?

I just tried it in regular side by side and it worked absolutely fine for me, so there's something environmental going on.

By the way, the 2.1.2 version didn't have its version number updated properly, so still said 2.1.1a. The next release (Coming sometime soon) will be 2.1.3
Hstreet
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Hstreet »

Has anyone been able to get the VRBoost to work? I picked up this game to try on the rift but the vrboost scan fails 100% of the time..

I followed the instructions and set the ingame all the settings exactly as it was suggest, FOV to 120 but the vrboost scan still fails..
DrBeef

Post by DrBeef »

Sorry to hear that, works everytime for me (and other people I've seen) so it must be a local issue. However the scan approach can be hit and miss, and in your case it is clearly a miss.

I suggest you use CheatEngine to find the location of the Pitch memory address the game is using, I'll attach a little guide I wrote for someone else to be able to figure it out for Dishonored, as TVoEC is also an Unreal game, the process should be exactly the same. You then need to look in the VRBoost xml file and possibly adject the BaseAddress accordingly. I suggest first step is finding the memory location.

Sounds like the scanner file might need a bit of adjustment unfortunately. Furthermore, the next release will include some tweaks to the scanner which should improve things a bit.

Hope it helps, I'll check back from time to time in case you have questions.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Hstreet
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Hstreet »

Thanks DrBeef i'll check it out-- I do appreciate the support and help :-)

Vireo is just such a great package..
Hstreet
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Hstreet »

ok great.. got the addresses fairly easily (Great write up btw)

I move up a little, next scan, up a little, next scan until the number of addresses doesn't go down (I end up with about 650)

I then do the below the horizon and do the next scan and boom - 5 address and they all move

I did this twice and got two different address sets.. actually a pretty neat way to get the addresses

First time I got addresses

7FFF44C211C
7FFF99BEC9C
7FFF9B0D69C
7FFF9B0DC44
7FFF9B0DC9C

and the second time I got
7FFF451A11C
7FFF999EC9C
7FFF9AEC19C
7FFF9AEC744
7FFF9AEC79C

now what I don't fully understand is how to edit the VRBoost scanner file.. I see <scannerGroup /> that has a base address and a memincrement and count and then a <scanrule />
Hstreet
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Hstreet »

these are the addresses I get with the vireo injecting..

although I'm not sure it would be any different with our without it injecting since each time I do it I never get the exact same address

7FFF525611C
7FFF98FEC9C
7FFF9A3E11C
7FFF9A3E6C4
7FFF9A3E71C
DrBeef

Post by DrBeef »

Good work.. almost there.. you now need to find out which one of those 5 addresses in each set is actually controlling the pitch.

Add the 5 addresses to the bottom pane in cheat engine, look towards the sky or ground in the game, then edit the values one by one and set them to 0. One of them should cause the game's viewpoint to change and look straight at the horizon.

_That is that address you are looking for._

We need that exact address each time in order to accurately modify the vrboost scanner profile (I'll explain that bit when we get to it).

But for now, the game is allocated memory by the operating system to store things like game orientation, health etc. Fortunately, the OS has a habit of allocating memory in similarly numbered locations, but not exactly the same every time. So the scanner just goes through all the possible locations (brute force) and finds the one that pattern matches the configuration in the scanner profile. Once it has some candidates it narrows it down further by getting the user to look around (which at this point uses mouse emulation and alters the view accordingly), as long as the user looks where he/she is asked, and the actual orientation address is part of the remaining set of candidates, then it should find it.

EDIT: Typo
Hstreet
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Hstreet »

Ok it looks like it is always the first address in the list that changes the pitch

all 5 of them indicate the value of the pitch, but only the first one changes it when changing the value
eg..

7FFF56B211C <- the control address
7FFF98FAC9C
7FFF9A4969C
7FFF9A49C44
7FFF9A49C9C

7FFB091419C <- the control address
7FFE093C19C
7FFE093C744
7FFE093C79C
7FFF98CCC9C

7FFF563E11C <- the control address
7FFF98FAC9C
7FFFA38A11C
7FFFA38A6C4
7FFFA38A71C
DrBeef

Post by DrBeef »

OK. Try changing the base address to 7FFD000000C

May not work every time but you might have more luck with that.

Let me know

Edit: I am typing this on my phone, there might be am extra 0 in that area by mistake. If it continue to not work remove a 0 and try again.
Edit2: Fixed incorrect address now that I look at it properly
Dangermoose007
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Dangermoose007 »

For this game I am using Version 3.0.1
When you use the DLL installer, it finds the 64 bit version of the game, but installs the 32 bit DLL's. For me this causes the game to crash instantly on a black screen without ever going to my HMD when I am running perception, though it works fine when I am not running perception. I manually removed the 32 bit DLL's and replaced them with the 64 bit DLL's, and the game continues to run on my monitor, but again without ever going to my HMD. Thus far I have been unsuccessful at getting either ASAMU or TVOEC to send any images to my CV1, all it does is launch the Oculus home lobby when I put it on.

I have adjusted all settings to the recommended settings as suggested in the instructions page. Am I missing something here? other than the DLL's is there something I am supposed to install? Perception seems to load just fine (running Oculus Rift: Direct mode)

I am running;
i7 4790k
R9 290x
16 GB DDR3
250 GB SSD
Windows 10 x64

Return to “Game Support”