Mirror's Edge

Case by case Vireio Perception game support discussion. One thread per game!
Enzo03
One Eyed Hopeful

Mirror's Edge

Post by Enzo03 »

Hi all.

I'm wanting to try something that I've seen done several times and I've been eager to do for months: play Mirror's Edge on the Oculus Rift.

So now I have a DK2 and I've tried following the instructions for this game as close as I can. (Edit and disclaimer: I did not get a DK2 solely for this)

As it is right now, I have the DK2 set as an extended display and the d3d9 and libfreespace dlls in the Binaries folder (if not, I get the error regarding the d3d9 dll), but when launching, I see the splash screen appear, my monitors go black for a split second, and then the splash screen disappears and the game does not actually launch.

I typically run triple monitors at 144Hz 1080p and my DK2 shows up as display #4. I have, however, tried disabling all monitors except for my DK2 and one other monitor, but this does not appear to help.

Vireio version: 2.1.0 RC1
Specs: i5-4690K, 16 GB DDR3-1600 RAM, 2x Reference GTX 980 (I have tried turning off SLI but the same result occurs), Win 7 Ultimate x64.
Enzo03
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: Mirror's Edge

Post by Enzo03 »

I feel exceptionally dumb right now.

I never installed the Oculus runtimes. :D

Now it works, but VRBoost profile loading fails (edit: not anymore). At least I have an idea of where to go from here.

Edit: So I'm not seeing any 3D effect of any sort and adjusting world scale or convergence doesn't do anything.
DrBeef
Vireio Perception Developer

Post by DrBeef »

Have you tried Mirror's Edge with 2.1.1?, you should be getting stereo, so make sure there's noting left of any older versions of Vireio that might be interfering, and make sure to use the symlink tool to put links to the vireio dlls into the Mirror's Edge folder.
DavidC
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by DavidC »

Symlink cannot find any supported exe in my Steam Mirrors Edge folder. Is there somewhere else I should be telling it to search?
DrBeef

Post by DrBeef »

That is perculiar!

The executable it should be looking for is MirrorsEdge.exe.. does the main exe for the version you have have a different name? it is a name based search for supported executables that are defined in the profiles.xml file, so if the name of your executable differs for some reason, then change it in the profiles.xml entry for Mirror's Edge, and hopefully it will find it.

However, if the exe name is different, then there's a good change that the binary will be slightly different, which can throw the VRBoost scanner and cause it to fail every time. I have the non-steam version which I used to add support, however others have confirmed it working with the Steam version of Mirror's Edge.
Radiant Repose
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Radiant Repose »

DrBeef wrote:That is perculiar!

The executable it should be looking for is MirrorsEdge.exe.. does the main exe for the version you have have a different name? it is a name based search for supported executables that are defined in the profiles.xml file, so if the name of your executable differs for some reason, then change it in the profiles.xml entry for Mirror's Edge, and hopefully it will find it.

However, if the exe name is different, then there's a good change that the binary will be slightly different, which can throw the VRBoost scanner and cause it to fail every time. I have the non-steam version which I used to add support, however others have confirmed it working with the Steam version of Mirror's Edge.
I actually have the exact same problem. I hope this reaches you, but I just got the dev kit for the Oculus Rift and have everything setup properly.

Yet, when I run SymLink, it cannot find the supported exe in the Steam Mirror's Edge folder, and it is, in fact, called MirrorsEdge.exe. Any thoughts?

Thanks
DrBeef

Post by DrBeef »

Are you using Windows 7 or 8.1?

You have the symlink installer from the very latest release?

Honestly not sure what the issue could be at the moment.. if you have UAC turned off, could you try turning it back on, running the symlink installer as admin, and allowing it to run. Just a hunch, might not do much but worth a try.
Trippenfaust
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Trippenfaust »

Same here!!! I have the NON-STEAM version of Mirrors Edge and the DLL installer can't find the EXE!!
DrBeef

Post by DrBeef »

If it continues to fail, you#ll ned to copy the DLLS the old fashioned way, not ideal, but there's not really an alternative. Make sure you copy the followin to the same folder as the game's executable:

d3d9.dll
libfreespace.dll
VRBoost.dll
hijackdll.dll

You will still need to run the Perception application, but that can be from wherever you unpacked the release archive to.
Azengar
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Azengar »

Hello ! Just wondering is this is caused by the 3.0.2 alpha, I followed the documentation and edited the game's configuration files, the game runs fine and is displayed on my DK2 but :

1) There are black borders on every side (the game doesn't fit the screen) and I can't seem to find an option to make the game bigger
2) There's no head tracking at all (and of course no movement tracking)
3) This may be linked to the two others but I can't seem to get the scanner to work, when I press numpad 5 the FOV is set to 120 but nothing appears on the screen

Thanks in advance for any help provided ! :D
DrBeef

Post by DrBeef »

Click the middle mouse button.. sounds like you are in disconnected screen view.
Azengar
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Azengar »

Oh god I feel so dumb now ... Now that I understood what middle mouse do, I got it working and it works almost flawlessly.
Thank you for the quick reply and allow me to congratulate you for the outstanding work !
Speedcowboy
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Speedcowboy »

I'm having problems getting this to run using Perception 3.0.1 and 3.0.0a2 on a DK1 using runtime 6.0.1
I've done everything exactly by the book (had to copy the DLLs myself because DLLInstaller can't find MirrorsEdge.exe).
When starting the game, framerate drops to something like 3fps and the screen doesn't switch to Rift view.
Tried all different monitor settings possible (Direct To Rift, Extended display, set Rift as Primary as well as Secondary but all to no avail...
Can anyone help me out here please?

[edit] Tried with Bioshock and getting the same result (minus the low framerate).
It just won't go into Rift mode. [/edit]

Return to “Game Support”