Borderlands

Case by case Vireio Perception game support discussion. One thread per game!
LordJuanlo
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Borderlands

Post by LordJuanlo »

ISSUE: Terrible flickering in Borderlands (AMD Radeon)

I have a Radeon R9 290X using the latest Catalyst 12.6 beta under Windows 8.1. Yesterday I downloaded the new Vireio 2.03 with Borderlands support. The hud is perfectly centered and I think the 3D effect feels great, however there is a terrible flickering in both eyes that makes the game totally unplayable. I'm not sure if you guys have any Radeon cards to test it. I have disabled bloom, dynamic shadows and ambient occlusion, but it didn't help.

EDITED BY ADMIN: Only name the game in the title of the thread.
Comunidad española de RV / Spanish VR Community
Neil
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: Borderlands

Post by Neil »

I'm wondering if it has to do with clone viewing.

In the case of cloning, are both displays at the exact same resolution and refresh rate?
Can you try making it so the Rift is the only display instead of being cloned with the second monitor?

Please share everything you can about your system, specs, etc.

Regards,
Neil
LordJuanlo

Post by LordJuanlo »

Yes, displays are cloned at the same resolution and refresh rate, and the Rift is the primary display. This is the only Vireio game where I have that kind of flickering. I'll try what you said about using the Rift as the only display. System specs are:

- Intel i7 3930K
- Asus Rampage IV motherboard
- Radeon R9 290-X
- 32 GB of RAM
- SSD Samsung EVO 840 (1 TB)
- Windows 8.1 x64

Skyrim for examply runs perfectly with this version of Vireio, and other games like Left 4 Dead and Dirt 2 worked fine with previous version (didn't try again with this one) using the same clone settings.
LordJuanlo

Post by LordJuanlo »

I couldn't make it work, even using the Rift as single display. I recorded a video using an external HDMI capture device. As you can see, menus and HUD don't flicker, but game does. When turning back and looking at the sun, everything darkens.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zmyty74Re1c
baggyg
Vireio Perception Developer
Vireio Perception Developer

Post by baggyg »

Weird but not something I haven't seen before. Thanks for the video. Try a different resolution and make sure you are fullscreen. I seem to remember having a similar issue when I changed the resolution. I run at 1080 and is fine there although that is with a Nvidia Card.

Let me know if this fixes it and maybe we can find someone to try it on a AMD card.
atomczak40
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by atomczak40 »

Had the exact same problem. Have AMD hd7770. Changed the resolution to 1080 with no difference... Not sure if this will help you, but I was fooling around and found out that if you hit Alt+Enter it forces it into a full screen bordered window. Worked like new money... 1080 Alt+Enter. hope this helps
LordJuanlo

Post by LordJuanlo »

As amotczak40 said, switching beween 1280x800 and 1920x1080 didnt' help, however running the game windowed did. I guess it's an AMD only problem.
M0RT
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by M0RT »

Were you able to resolve this? Are you able to get Borderlands to run with the Perception.exe running as well? I can get good 3d and stable rift display but no head tracking with the DLL files in the same folder as the Borderlands .exe but if I try and run the game AND Perception.exe then the game crashes at launch.
LordJuanlo

Post by LordJuanlo »

Not in fullscreen mode, but it ran fine windowed. Anyway, my DK1 is now officially retired from active service after being signed by Palmer at the Gamescom :D

I'll try it on my DK2 with the incoming 0.42 based Vireio as soon as it's released.
Rycros
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Rycros »

I searched around a bit and other than finding someone with the same problem fore mirror's edge, came up with nothing.

Mayhaps i missed something simple, but the DLL installer can't locate my borderlands exe. I have it pathed to steam/steamapps/common/borderlands and nothing. just installed it too, so the exe is properly named. Ah, but, i do have several expansions, would that cause a problem?

Thanks in advance!
konstantin_lozev
Cross Eyed!

Post by konstantin_lozev »

I can confirm the same flickering occurs on Radeon HD 7850 with Win 7 and latest AMD drivers and is solved by going into windowed mode. I even managed to get VRBoost activated and I can change the orientation by passing values to the Vireio Shared Memory Tracker from FreePIE.
However, I am not able to pass successfully positional tracking data from FreePIE, i.e. I can rotate the camera with

Code: Select all

if keyboard.getPressed(Key.UpArrow):
	vireioSMT.roll += 0.1
	diagnostics.watch(vireioSMT.roll)
if keyboard.getPressed(Key.DownArrow):
	vireioSMT.roll -= 0.1
	diagnostics.watch(vireioSMT.roll)
but I cannot move it with

Code: Select all

if keyboard.getPressed(Key.UpArrow):
	vireioSMT.y += 5
	diagnostics.watch(vireioSMT.y)
if keyboard.getPressed(Key.DownArrow):
	vireioSMT.y -= 5
	diagnostics.watch(vireioSMT.y)
Any ideas?
My main reason for this positional tracking idea is to be able to move the head slightly to the left side (vireioSMT.x?) when aiming down the sights, so that the iron sights actually align with the right camera. Aiming down the sights is currently useless, since the gun stays fixed on your nose so you cannot align the two parts of the iron sights (near the grip and near the end of the muzzle).
RaycoSantana
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by RaycoSantana »

I dont know if this problem is exclusive of borderlands (is the only game I have tested so far) but I cant look up or down when I activate VRBoost, not with the mouse, the controller nor the headtracking, If I dissable VRboost it works fine.

Im using Perseption 3.0 and I have:
Intel i7
16 gb RAM
Nvidia GTX 770

Return to “Game Support”