Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Case by case Vireio Perception game support discussion. One thread per game!
Neil
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Post by Neil »

Sample
CylonSurfer
Two Eyed Hopeful

Re: Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Post by CylonSurfer »

A complete guide including suggested Vireio settings & Mod configurations can be found here:

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/53249/?
Ziggurat
Cross Eyed!

Post by Ziggurat »

CylonSurfer wrote:A complete guide including suggested Vireio settings & Mod configurations can be found here:

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/53249/?
I am unable to follow your guide at the immersive first person step.
I cant go to a "camera" menu in the mod's settings, and I cant chose which profile goes to which use. I tried both the 1.7 version and the 1.9
CylonSurfer
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by CylonSurfer »

I just checked the guide and there is no step which requires a "camera" menu in the Immersive First Person View config section. You should only need to copy the specified file to the correct location and then click the "Load Settings From File" option found under "General" as the screen shot shows. The config file will only work with v1.7 of that mod.

Let me know how you get on or if I can help any further.
PaulTozour
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by PaulTozour »

OK, trying to get Skyrim working with the DK2, but no luck yet. I'd managed to get it running on DK1 and it was awesome, but not with DK2 so far.

That NexusMods link doesn't work, I'm afraid; has it been moved/removed?

I have Skyrim running in Stereo mode and I can see that it's picking up all my head-tracking data, but I'm just not seeing anything in the Oc Rift itself no matter what I do. What am I doing wrong?

Here's what I'm doing:
  • Vireio Perception 2.0.4 a2
  • Launch Perception drivers; first combo box set to Oculus Rift DK2
  • Launch Skyrim
  • In Skyrim's Options, set to 1920x1080, non-Windowed mode
LordJuanlo
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by LordJuanlo »

I have been suffering this problem since the DK1 and the first versions of Vireio. I tried it again on the DK2 with 2.0.4 Alpha 4 (20140914 nightly build) and it still happens with AMD Radeon cards. Dynamic shadows are fine most of the time, but in some caves this is what happens when you roll your head.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSH449jVGXM

It happens in both Windows 7 and 8.1.
Comunidad española de RV / Spanish VR Community
fpertl
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by fpertl »

BTW. If you have trouble with multiple monitors and skyrim, the display can be selected using the ini files. For example, to select the third display (Oculus DK2 for me), I put

iAdapter=2

in the [Display] section of the following 3 files:

...\Documents\My Games\Skyrim\Skyrim.ini
...\Documents\My Games\Skyrim\SkyrimPrefs.ini
...\steamapps\common\Skyrim\Skyrim\SkyrimPrefs.ini

Note that it does not work for me unless I have an entry in each of the files.
Hopefully this can save some people from going crosseyed while trying to start the game :)
jhondidfool
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by jhondidfool »

Don't know why, but, after a while (3-6 minutes) Skyrim either crashes or performance becomes terrible (several seconds per frame). This is with and without mods, no ENB.
My system is a Win 8.1 machine, i7-4770K @4.1GHz, 8GB RAM DDR3 1333MHz, MSI Gaming Nvidia 980 SC @ 1532/8008 MHz
fpertl
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by fpertl »

I have similar issues with the latest nightly build (2.0.5 alpha from Oct. 3rd), but the 2.0.4 build from Sept. 17th seems reasonably stable. Given that 2.0.5 is an alpha build I think that is no big surprise.
jhondidfool
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by jhondidfool »

2.0.0.6 fixed the issue... yay!
Now, if I could only stop the shadows from going all bonkers when I walk forward wile using IFPV, that's ba fantastic.
Also, In the beguinning I got ENB working through the Injector version, but it does not work anymore. Anyone have any ideas?
And yes, I have deferrefshados=0, tried without mods and with them. Same result. At this rate I'll just re-size my 1st person skeleton and call it a day with Enhanced Camera :P...
jhondidfool
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by jhondidfool »

Figured it out. I have not seen anyone write this up, so here I go:
The problem with IFPV and shadows is that shadows are fixed to the FOV set by Vireio (120º), while the mod dynamically changes the FOV depending on the situation between the first 15 profiles. Profiole 15 is the default, and up to 1 they are applied in various situations. The solution to this is to have the FOV set to 120º in all the first 15 profiles, so shadows and vertex image are in sync.
Now, I have a 980 SC and noticed I'm running at low fps (30-40), which makes no sense given the huge power this card has. I mean non-ENB skyrim runs at 160+fps on the screen...
Getting ENB to work with Vireio is another matter altogether. Tried using the injector, and it worked at the beguinning, but I don't know what I did, now it crashes on load. :(
Slowly advancing towards the purrrrrfect Skyrim! :D
WolfMan5750
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by WolfMan5750 »

I've got a DK2 on the way, so I decided to get a head start on getting Skyrim set up with Vireio and to try to see what kind of performance I can get out of my computer. Currently, I'm having an issue where Vanilla Skyrim crashes immediately upon startup with Vireio active.

Vireio 2.0.5 and 2.0.6 both crash Skyrim upon startup. With Vireio 2.0.4, everything starts up fine in stereo mode. With Vireio 2.0.6, everything works fine if I set it to "DIY Rift" instead of Oculus. In all cases, I've set tracking to "none"

I don't have my DK2 yet, so maybe it's as simple as that. Do the new versions of Vireio require the DK2 to be plugged in? Also, I installed the newest Oculus Runtime (0.4.3). Could this be the problem?

I've also tried renaming TESV.MTBS, which didn't seem to have any effect.

Here are my specs. I know it's an older (laptop) video card. I'm planning to upgrade to a desktop in the near future.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, I've upgraded to the latest nVidia drivers (344.48)

Operating System
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
CPU
Intel Core i7 2820QM @ 2.30GHz
Sandy Bridge 32nm Technology
RAM
12.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 665MHz
Motherboard
CLEVO P170HMx (SOCKET 0)
Graphics
Generic PnP Monitor (1920x1080@60Hz)
4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680M (CLEVO/KAPOK Computer)

Thanks for your help
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

It's probably that you are using 0.4.3 runtime and Perception wasn't compiled against that new version.

It could also be the fact that you don't have the hardware, apps can react differently in this case.
DrBeef
Vireio Perception Developer

Post by DrBeef »

I also think the issues are coming about because you've installed the runtime and are running Vireio, but you've never actually plugged a DK2 into your machine.. I think you should find it will work fine once you have your DK2, particularly if it is able to inject when you select DIY Rift.

I think the 0.4.3 runtime should be ok at this stage as Vireio doesn't use a great deal out of the runtime side of things (and isn't SDK rendered).
WolfMan5750
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by WolfMan5750 »

Thanks for the replies. I'll try it again when I get my hands on my DK2.
Orpheon
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Orpheon »

Hello, I recently received my DK2 and after a bit of work and Vireio 2.0.6 got Skyrim with about 90 mods to run on it pretty well.
Thank you so much for working on this driver.

However, there are a few small details which I'd like to fix if possible, or at least report/ask whether they are normal.

First, I've noticed that the near clipping plane isn't changed by a certain mod anymore; does Vireio overwrite that at some point? If yes, is there a way to edit the value of that near clipping plane?

Second, positional tracking as in leaning forward/leaning backward/etc doesn't seem to work at all, even though both VRBoost and Positional Tracking are marked in green as "On" in the BRASSA menu. How should I debug this?

Third, the options in the BRASSA menu itself, world scale seems to have little to no effect. No matter the value, everything looked small, so I set it to the minimum value (1 meter = about 10^-5 game units) and then made convergence further, which patched the problem. Is this normal?

Fourth, I've pretty much lost hope for this by now, but is there any way to get separated view and aiming like TF2 default (keyhole: You move the mouse independently within a small window, going further turns the character, view doesn't do anything), or even any kind of view that doesn't change your aim/walk direction? That would be an absolute killer feature if it were possible.

Last, what exactly is the difference between World FOV, Player FOV and Farplane FOV?
peteo
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by peteo »

Got Skyrim working good with the latest version of vireio and my DK2. Had a DK1 before and Played Skyrim with the old vireio, all I had to do for this version was copy the new .dll's over and it works great. What a big difference the DK2 res makes, game looks amazing.

One issue I noticed though was while on a horse head tracking does not seem to work (off the horse it works fine). Anyone know if theres a fix? Was riding the horse for around 20mins and got pretty sick.
WolfMan5750
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by WolfMan5750 »

I've got my DK2 (and new computer) and Skyrim has been working fine for me. I was just wondering what kind of framerates are normal for people to get in skyrim with vireio? Is anyone getting 75 fps?

With a GTX 980 I'm getting 50-60 fps in the beginning sequence with low settings. I'm pretty sure it's not my other monitor, because I'm getting 75 fps in other demos and in Portal 2 in vireio. I have a clean install of Skyrim with no mods at the moment.
CylonSurfer
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by CylonSurfer »

I get pretty much the same as you with a GTX 780. Turning all of the shadows off will help increase your FPS. You will likely still see the odd bit of stuttering, Skyrim seems to be a beast to run.
Lycistus
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Lycistus »

Anybody have a newer guide? I am having a heck of a time setting my game up. I also use Immersive First Person View.
ghettocat2007
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by ghettocat2007 »

To anyone looking to install SweetFX and having conflicts with the d3d9.dll you can download a program called Radeon Pro. you need to put the SweetFX Files in the Radeon Folder (Youtube vids show that) and you just simply run Radeon in the background the same as Vireio just open both prior to booting it up and man it looks awesome.

SweetFX wont hit your FPS anywhere near as hard as ENB. The only problem is if you are recording with OBS SweetFx does not be visible on the recorded footage unless its in windowed mode.. But Vireio needs full screen to function. This method for using SweetFx will work for ALL games...

Just though that this was worth sharing,
CylonSurfer
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by CylonSurfer »

Hi guys,

Just a quick heads up. It seems that Skyrim is really screwed in the latest version. The new VRBoost memory scan fails on every run and worse still I cannot change the mouse emulation options. I'm stuck looking up at the sky.

Any chance it can be looked at, also a small request can you get it so that once your mouse emulation preference has been set it saves this configuration so you do not have to continually reset it please. If you use the immersive first person mod, the VR boost look breaks the mod when riding horses etc.

Cheers
DrBeef

Post by DrBeef »

Hi

The scanner works fine for a vanilla install of Skyrim, but as most people tend to mod it heavily I think it quickly prevents the scanner working correctly.

If I remember rightly, we left the original skyrim vrboost implementation in release package, all you need to do to restore it to how it previously worked is go to the profiles.xml, find the skyrim row, and where it says:

Code: Select all

VRboostRules="TESV.xml"
change it to:

Code: Select all

VRboostRules="TESV.MTBS"
and it will revert back to how it was in 2.1.1.

I think I will permanently remove the skyrim scanner as modding makes it impossible to predict where things are going to eventually reside in memory.

EDIT: Also, you can assign a VRBoost toggle hot-key, so if you are about to hop on a horse, toggle VRBoost off (going to mouse emulation), then toggle it back on when you get on the horse.. can't think of a better solution at the minute.
CylonSurfer
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by CylonSurfer »

I'll give that a try.

Immersive First Person allows you to toggle on or off free look. Free look only works with mouse emulation mode and decoupled head movement trumps VR boost for me at least.

One other thing I notice is that when using vireio my GTX980 barely moves above 70% GPU usage but struggles to maintain 75 FPS, without vireio I see it above 70% usage a lot - any idea what would cause that? Running this game at good frame rates, even on high end kit seems impossible to me.

Thanks!
DaTaJuNkIe
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by DaTaJuNkIe »

OK I have been at this for a week. I have tried everything I can find short of buying Vorpex. I did get skyrim running on the oculus and it would have been great if I was crossed eye'd. But the hotkey shortcuts like Cntl I and such do not work at all. ALL I get is a blank screen (it is obviously not viewing in both eyes... I had this same problem with RIFT (which was fixed by drasticlly increasing the resolution due to the resolution being set up as a multiple of two): instead of seting the res for both eyes I just increased the resoultion to double for one monitor and it worked kind of . In Skyrim's case it is as if I was rocking the oculus on the extended monitor with no oculus support) and there is a verticel blue line off my left eye. I even tried to uninstall and reinstall while preserving my modded version. This turned out to be a epic fail... The vanilla version simply refused to even bother to run -_- ... I think it was jealous.

So here we are a week into it and the only things I got the Oculus for were

A: My game, which runs fine because it is on the UE4 engine so no need for third party drivers...
B: Play Skyrim with the oculus

so 1 of two ain't bad... Can someone please help me to get this working because I am about to uninstall skyrim and forget gaming on the oculus other than my games. Of course dishonored rocks and totally runs fine but it is a to little to late seeing as how I have finished that game twice and really don't care to play it again...

Also I have gotten it to work sort of throughout this swim across the sea of styx with one setup but the screen was all scrunched up and hard to see... Thus the being crossed eye'd. Look this whole thing is actually physically painful....

I am Perception 2.1.1a I have also tried a previous version (can't remember which was following a "detailed setup" that completely tanked)
I currently have d3d9.dll (the 64 byte one crashes)
highjackdll64 <-which is cool because a real hijacked dll doesn't kiss and tell
libfreespace
VRboost64 (I have tried both the 64 and the 32byte both seem to do the same thing which is nothing)

Now seeing as how I am a programmer and engineer I think the problem actually is in the D3d9... It is loading the game but for some reason it refuses to draw to the screen properly. Concearning the oculus the one eye'd man is not king in the kingdom of the blind. The game Is indeed running because the music is happily playing in the background mocking and giggling the entire time...
Spidus
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Spidus »

Hi!

I am also having problems to load skyrim. I executed the step-by-step guide, but as I install the dll drivers, the game just crash (it opens the configuration screen, but as I press play it goes black and windows come with an error).As I uninstall the dlls it works again.

My steps to run the game:

1) Run the game launcher and set the resolution to 1920x1080. Non Windowed mode. - Done
2) We recommend for new users to complete at least the character creation at the start of the game in non-VR
mode before playing. - Done
3) Close the game and open Skyrimprefs.ini (usually located in Documents/my games/skyrim). Find the settings
for the following and update the values:
fShadowDistance=0.0000
fInteriorShadowDistance=0.0000
fShadowLODStartFade=0.0000
bDeferredShadows=0 (Add this line in [Interface] if you don't see it.) - Done

To Run (each time)
1) Run Vireio Perception as an administrator - Done
2) Run Skyrim -> Crashes
3) Once in-game use the pointer scanner to load VR Boost (see below instructions) - This has been changed to
use the scanner as there were some issues people were having with the existing VRBoost approach. If you have
problems with the scanner, edit the profiles.xml and change the following entry: VRboostRules="TESV.MTBS"

I am using the 2.1.2 Vireio + VR Boost version with skyrim (STEAM) in ultra high quality.
I could not understand the step 3 (TO RUN EACH TIME), is pointer scanner a program?

What should I do?
DrBeef

Post by DrBeef »

Have you created a default oculus profile on your machine?, that might be what is causing the crash if you haven't
onetime_187
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by onetime_187 »

I'm having a similar issue with skyrim crashing. I had skyrim working well with perception 2.0.6 but I recently upgraded to 2.1.4 and skyrim crashes when I try to run it with the oculus rift. Running it through my tv it works though (only crashes when I plug my oculus headset in and try to run it through that). It gives me the error that the d3d9.dll file is the error. For the record I am sure I have the files all placed where they should be.

To confuse things further, I decided to copy/paste an older d3d9.dll file I had into the skyrim folders and the oclulus rift worked fine other than some serious FPS issues (I don't believe it was close to this bad when I was running 2.0.6). But when I try to switch back to running it through the tv the perception program won't even open.

Can someone help me with this issue? Is the issue with the new d3d9.dll file and if so does anyone have a workaround?
SimonPDX
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by SimonPDX »

PC runs Vanilla Skyrim Ultra 1440p 100+ fps average (gtx 970 and i7 4790k @4.6ghz)

Turn on the injector and suddenly I have trouble keeping above 30fps. Is this normal? Did I set it up wrong? What can I do to make it better?

Note: That link in the second post no longer exists!
James.c.pyle
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by James.c.pyle »

I can't seem to look all the way up or down while playing, everything else is fine and but this is very frustrating. I haven't messed with any of the vitriol settings, could that maybe work?
zoraswe
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by zoraswe »

Hi! I'm having a problem with Skyrim on VP 2.1.6, it seems the hud has returned to the normal skyrim one with this version, in 2.1.4 it was smaller and you could see everything, now not so much. Any idea what settings has been changed to make the hud appear further out again? Thanks!
Flickstiq
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Flickstiq »

I'm working on Skyrim, and I'm doing pretty well so far. I have it set up, and I can look around with my DK2. The scale of everything is definitely off though. When I try to start the VRBoost Scanner to correct these issues, it immediately fails. I've relaunched the game several times and it always fails immediately after I press NUM5. Am I missing something with how to do this in Skyrim? Just to clarify, the game itself still runs fine. It's just the scanner that fails after I hit NUM5 as per the setup instructions.

My Rig:

Intel i7 3770K
16 GB DDR3 1600 RAM
Nvidia GTX Titan Black
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
DrBeef

Post by DrBeef »

Skyrim doesn't use the scanner approach (that had issues with mods), the head tracking should just work straight off using VRBoost without the need to scan.

Also, VRBoost won't affect the scale or anything.

Are you talking about Skyrim: The Edler Scrolls, or ESO?
Flickstiq
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Flickstiq »

I apologize ahead of time if I put my foot in my mouth (this is my first attempt at using a 3D Driver with the Oculus). My head movement is working just fine in Skyrim. When I was watching the tutorial videos that come linked into the Vireio guide, it made it appear that the scanner process adjusted things like scale and FOV. What I'm noticing in my Skyrim game is that my height doesn't seem quite right, and that the size of other characters isn't either. My weapons and arms seem like they're going through the floor. Little stuff like that. So I think I'm looking for some instructions on adjusting the scale of my character and the world. My second question is that when I move my head in the game, the aiming reticule moves with it (meaning that my head is aiming my weapon). Is there a way to be able to bind weapon aiming to the mouse only and still have independent head tracking for looking around and movement?

Also (since you mentioned it), does Vireio work with ESO? I didn't see it on the supported list and the thread on this board made it seem like it doesn't work.
DrBeef

Post by DrBeef »

Hi, no need to apologise. For skyrim, the VRBoost approach works straight off the bat, no need to scan, however if you want to adjust things like FOV (player or world), then go into the Vireio Menu (CTRL+Q), then go to the VRBoost sub-menu, and you can change FOV values in there. If you feel your world scale is incorrect, you can use CTRL+ALT and the mouse wheel to adjust it, though use with caution.

It's a known issue with Skyrim that the players arms/weapon looks HUGE.. you can try tweaking the player FOV to resolve it, but ultimately, they will still look pretty big.

As for "head-aim", that's the way it is with injection drivers I'm afraid, it's not possible to de-couple the head orientation, and the aim as it is a fundmental part of the game-engine.

Lastly, ESO doesn't have official support. I've not tried it myself as I don't own the game.
odddiv
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by odddiv »

First post!

I'm trying to get Skyrim (steam version) working with my DK2 properly.

Hardware:
Sager 8651 Notebook
i7 4720
32gb RAM
GTX 970m v355.82

Rift DK2 sdk 6.0.1

With Perception 2.1.6 I can't get more than 25fps and have massive judder.
With 3.0.0a I get an error where it cannot see the tracker.
With 3.0.0a2 i am showing 75fps, but it still will not recognize the tracker - the light on the tracker is on, but it does not track.

I don't want to upgrade to sdk 7.0 - elite dangerous will not play under 7.0 currently.

I have been unable to use direct mode - apparently Oculus is having trouble working with the Optimus technology in most laptops.

It's definitely not a hardware or Oculus driver issue, as the tracker works under E:D and Perception 2.1.6. I've not seen any posts on issues with the 3.0 variants, and I'm stumped. Please help!
DrBeef

Post by DrBeef »

With Vireio 3.0 the only working mode is direct-to-hmd.. whilst the Extended mode is still available in the drop down, it doesn't work properly, so I'm afraid you'll have to use 2.1.6.

Further to this, Skyrim is notoriously under-optimised, and to be honest, I am not that surprised you are getting judder and only 25fps if you are running it on a laptop. Have you turned all the settings to Low in order to get that?

In direct mode, the 75fps you are seeing is the async timewarping thread that displays to the HMD, that always runs at 75fps to prevent judder, I expect the actual rendering (game) thread is running at 25fps still, but you won't notice judder because of the timewarping.

It sounds like you don't have too many options.. use 2.1.6 and turn everything down and put up with painful judder, or wait and see if there is an eventual workaround for direct mode on laptops with optimus. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I can't think of anything else.
odddiv
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by odddiv »

I am only using extended mode.

Using extended, the video is fine in 3.0. My only issue is that the head tracking is not working.

In 2.1.6 I can get 40fps running low, 25 running ultra; but in 3.0 I can run ultra in extended and get 75fps. Using the controller for movement I maintain 75fps. I just wish I could get the head tracking to work.
DrBeef

Post by DrBeef »

I'm very sorry, but since the Oculus runtime 0.7 deprecates extended mode entirely, there won't be any effort going into maintaining support for it for any Oculus HMD from now onward.
dropski
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by dropski »

I have a problem getting any head tracking to work ,,, I can see the game in the dk2 but its just a flat screen in front of me with no head tracking ... I'm starting to lose hope ill ever get any store bought game to work with the dk2 ... since they got rid of extended mode in 7.0 does that mean apps like perception..and vorpx no longer work (with head tracking)

I'm very lost ...
thanks

I do want to clarify I have a few demos working but I suspect they are made for direct mode or something

Return to “Game Support”