Borderlands 2

Case by case Vireio Perception game support discussion. One thread per game!
emurday
One Eyed Hopeful

Borderlands 2

Post by emurday »

I am new to optimizing games and displays for VR, so any help or direction is appreciated.

Intended use:
I recently assembled Google Cardboard and have purchased Trinus Gyre for streaming PC games to my phones. I have a handful of Samsung S# models and a Nexus 5 + 7 available for testing. Google Cardboard + the magnet clicker is working on all models.

My PC graphics card is just barely too old to use NVIDIA's GameStream + Limelight (NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M).

Trinus Gyre is awesome but creates a large central blind spot if Fake3D is not used. If Fake3D is used, all text becomes illegible except in the center of each lens--it seems that the fisheye effect of the Cardboard lenses is not taken into account. Thus most games need to be handled with Perception.

Using Vire.io Perception, I am trying to get a good dual picture on my monitor before streaming the result to my phones with Trinus. I have not yet transmitted anything rendered with Vire.io Perception to my phone; all reported issues are occurring PC-side.

Running:
Vire.io Perception 2.0.0.2 is launched prior to launching Steam and Borderlands 2 (through Steam.) I am running both Perception and Steam/ Borderlands 2 as an administrator.

Upon launch, Borderlands 2 behaves correctly and I am provided with a dual, lens-accommodating view of the game.

Issue 1:
What appears to be a ghosted fullscreen image, at 25% displayed image size (rectangular with defined lower border), flickers constantly in the upper left-hand quadrant of both images. This does not occur in the game when run without Vire.io Perception active. This flicker occurs for the "Oculus Rift", "DIY Rift" and "Side by Side" settings, all with no tracking yet enabled.

Troubleshooting - what works:
* In Borderlands 2 options: "Fullscreen Windowed" mode provides the most mitigation, but does not fully remove the effect. "Fullscreen" and "Windowed" mode both exacerbate the effect.
* In Borderlands 2 options: Turning "Depth of Field" off had a dramatic positive effect, nearly eliminating this issue. Is it reasonable to assume that the "Depth of Field" focal effect is interfering with Perception's lensing effects?

Troubleshooting - what doesn't work:
* Adjusting Perception output type among "Oculus Rift", "DIY Rift", "Side by Side"
* In Borderlands 2 options: Adjusting screen resolution does not mitigate flickering image in upper left, although certain resolutions certainly cause increased or additional negative effects. I tried every available screen resolution.
* In Borderlands 2 options: Adjusting any of the following has no effect: "Brightness", "UI Sway", any of the HUD options, "Framerate", "Anisotropic Filtering", "Bullet Decals", "Foliage Distance", "Texture Quality", "Game Detail", "Ambient Occlusion", "FXAA", "PhysX Effects", "Texture Fade", "Colorblind Mode"
* In Borderlands 2 options: Despite the obvious effects from "Depth of Field", "View Distance" did not have any similar effect.
* In Borderlands 2 options: Vsync was off as advised, but switching it on didn't seem to create any additional negative effects.

Final outcome:
Issue is significantly mitigated by turning off "Depth of Field" in BL2 settings, but is not totally fixed. I have no idea why it occurs.

Issue 2:
After flickering was minimized, I attempted using the SHOCT calibration tool to adjust the distance between images. Pressing "Ctrl + i" has no effect, except to open my in-game inventory, which is the action keybound to "i". The Ctrl command seems to be ignored, whether or not the Borderlands 2 window has focus. I am unsure of how to activate and use SHOCT, which seems to be necessary to avoid the central blind spot on my smaller phones.
Troubleshooting - what works:
* Nothing so far.
Troubleshooting - what doesn't work:
* Swapping focus to BL2.
* Swapping focus to Perception.
* Adjusting Perception output type, in case one type would show calibration lines on the PC monitor but the types I'd been using expected a peripheral and would not display the lines PC-side.
Final outcome:
I can't calibrate anything yet.

System info:
Processor: Intel i7-3610QM CPU @ 2.30 GHz
RAM: 8 GB DDR3, 1600MHz
Motherboard: Asus K75VM
Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M
Graphics driver: GeForce 344.11 WHQL <http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverRe ... 7837/en-us>
HDD1: Crucial M500 SSD (240GB)
HDD2: Hitachi 5K750 HDD (750GB)

Install info:
Windows 7 OS and graphics drivers are installed to SSD (primary drive).
Perception 2.0.0.2 is installed to C:/Program Files/Perception/ on SSD (primary drive).
Steam and Borderlands 2 are installed to HDD (secondary drive).

I see that there are many different versions of Perception recommended as the "current" download on several official-looking pages, and to be honest I'm having trouble finding a cohesive, accessible project page and unsure as to which version to use. I first tried "Perception_D3D_proxy" from vire.io, then Perception 2.0.0.2 linked from a "latest version" post here with the VRBoost package. I will try this nightly build next and report back: "Vireio Perception Nightly Build (3rd Oct 2014) - Display Adapter / Timewarp 2.0.5 a1"
DrBeef
Vireio Perception Developer

Re: Borderlands 2

Post by DrBeef »

Please use the official Vireio Perception micro-site for getting the latest release:

http://www.mtbs3d.com/index.php?option= ... Itemid=490
noreit
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by noreit »

Hi,
I know its about Vireio here, but Borderlands worked best for me with Stereoficator.
For flickering helped to disable dynamic shadows in borderlands config and run game in windowed fullscreen.
thehassle
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by thehassle »

Hello guys
i tried out my very first Vireio Project and used it on Borderlands 2. But the hell... it didnt work well. Ok, theres is some kind of stereoscopic view, framerate seems ok but: the stereoscop pictures are extremly difficult and didnt fit each other. It hurts my Brain and may eyes. Its unplayable. How to fix it?
DrBeef

Post by DrBeef »

Hi, Borderlands 2 is not on the official supported games list, so I'm not really surprised it didn't work very well, as there's likely no proper configuration for it. I would suggest you give the original Borderlands a try though (if you have it, or can get it off Steam for cheap), it looks incredible.

No doubt we'll add support to Borderlands 2 at some point, but it hasn't happened yet.

The release package should have a link to the documentation, which lists all the currently supported titles, alternatively, follow this:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1TYp ... 2Pqry6rgQw
heathcotegeo
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by heathcotegeo »

First time using a Vireio Project, I put it to use in Borderlands 2. But, oh well... it didn't turn out so hot. The stereoscopic effect looks to be working, and the frame rate is fine, but the stereoscopy images are extremely difficult to align properly. My eyes and brain are hurting from it. Basically, it's unplayable. How do we repair this?

Return to “Game Support”