Hands free locomotion demo

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
colocolo
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Re: Hands free locomotion demo

Post by colocolo »

I think it shares some similar aspects of JanVRs device and contributes to the discussion, so i posted it here.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbanKNuK-bA[/youtube]
Diorama
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Diorama »

Christ, look at those huge CRTs and the abysmal frame rate. We have come a long way in 14 years.
brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Post by brantlew »

The frame rate looks bad even for 1999 - more like 1989.
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

His walking looks so unnatural, more like he is scraping dog doo off his shoes. :lol:

I like JanVR's video better. It shows a much more natural gait.
Last edited by geekmaster on Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
STRZ
Certif-Eyed!

Post by STRZ »

brantlew wrote:The frame rate looks bad even for 1999 - more like 1989.
They could have had Half Life 1, Unreal and Quake with a decent 3dfx card, lol, but obviously still used software 3d on a 286 :lol:
Diorama

Post by Diorama »

geekmaster wrote:His walking looks so unnatural, more like is scraping dog doo off his shoes. :lol:

I like JanVR's video better. It shows a much more natural gait.
Ha, good analogy, I knew the gait looked awful but couldn't describe how it seemed to me. Scarping off dog doo is perfect.
JanVR
Cross Eyed!

Post by JanVR »

Not to mention the cost and weight of hundreds of ball bearings... Funnily enough this was one of the first locomotion concepts I came across; it was discussed by Palmer and I believe Okta in a thread a very long time ago.
Bishop51

Post by Bishop51 »

Man, that frame rate brings back memories! I remember building environments on my old Atari 1024 STE and it was a bit faster than this (though they are probably trying REALLY hard to render stereo as well). What I love most about the above device is just how ambitious we were back then, even with archaic hardware. I hope some of that enthusiasm spills back to the modern era...and it looks like it is so far :)
WiredEarp
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by WiredEarp »

hahah, anyone remember VREND386? Think that was its name ;)
We have definitely come a long way, its a shame there hasn't been much progress in _CHEAP_ methods of simulating locomotion. JanVR's dish looks like a good solution for now, but I don't see it as being what we will be using in 10-15 years time in VR arcades etc.
Zoide

Post by Zoide »

Jan:

How does walking on your prototype compare to regular walking?

I was thinking about the grooves, and how they converge towards the center rather than running parallel to each other. It seems like that's the only reasonable way to arrange them in a circular device.

However, wouldn't they force the user to make angled strides as opposed to more natural, straight ones?

The diagram below shows what I consider to be natural walking (left) VS the way the user would walk on your device (right). The dark shapes are shoes, the green circles are pins on the soles, and the dotted lines correspond to the approximate path the shoes would follow during walking:

JanVR
Cross Eyed!

Post by JanVR »

Zoide, you make a good observation, and this was one of the initial concerns I had. However, it does not seem to be an issue at all, partially because the grooves do not go all the way to the center point.

I have been experimenting with different sole configurations these past few days, and I am almost able to use the platform hands free without the support belt assembly (however, note that I have been walking on the platform a lot; there is certainly a learning curve to achieving this). I will shoot some new demos this week with updated software, so hope to post an update this weekend (and probably a product name, at last).
Popopinsel
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Popopinsel »

Eagerly awaiting your update, Jan!
Zoide

Post by Zoide »

Glad to hear that :)

It would be great to have some close - up pictures and some more detailed information about the prototype for next update.

Thanks!
BillRoeske
Cross Eyed!

Post by BillRoeske »

That sounds pretty encouraging, Jan! :)
TheHolyChicken
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by TheHolyChicken »

JanVR wrote:Zoide, you make a good observation, and this was one of the initial concerns I had. However, it does not seem to be an issue at all, partially because the grooves do not go all the way to the center point.
I was concerned about this as well, but I'm glad to hear you think it's a non-issue.
JanVR wrote:I have been experimenting with different sole configurations these past few days, and I am almost able to use the platform hands free without the support belt assembly (however, note that I have been walking on the platform a lot; there is certainly a learning curve to achieving this).
When you say you can use it hands-free, is that with or without using a HMD? :) I imagine that the likelihood of error rises dramatically when you cannot see the real world anymore!
JanVR wrote:I will shoot some new demos this week with updated software, so hope to post an update this weekend (and probably a product name, at last).
If you were to integrate it with the Half Life 2 VR modding that's been floating around, presenting the complete package all working together, that might generate some waves...... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5H2rL-lBxRs
Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits.
yomer
Cross Eyed!

Post by yomer »

Jan,
I wonder what's your progress. When are you starting the Kickstarter?
Okta
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by Okta »

I would stress not to rush the KS. Also certainly try to include or develop a reliable tracking method as part of the package that will work over different OS's.
"I did not chip in ten grand to seed a first investment round to build value for a Facebook acquisition."
Notch on the FaceDisgrace buyout.
JanVR
Cross Eyed!

Post by JanVR »

Hi Yomer, we are currently targeting a Kickstarter launch in May. See our website/Youtube/Facebook for latest videos. There is also another thread in the VR/AR Research segment.

Okta, you are right; we are preparing all aspects of the Omni thoroughly prior to launching. We will indeed provide an integrated tracking solution, so that users do not need a Kinect. Also thinking of providing a DIY reward with just the Omni base, so that creative minds can build their own upper support structure, and we can learn from the community on how to improve the Omni.

Feel free to follow us on Facebook to stay tuned regarding any updates - see links in my signature.
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

geekmaster wrote:... I would certainly use Jan's ODT device if it was an affordable solution AND if it did not cause problems undue stress to my deteriorating knee joints. Whatever ODT device I end up with, I want it to increase my VR immersion experience without tiring me too quickly or stressing my knee joints.
This remains a huge concern of mine, so I hope my $399+shipping has not been for something that will seldom get actual use...
:?:
It would have been nice to try it first. I know that a regular treadmill does not work well for me, but an elliptical trainer keeps my knees constrained to safe motions quite nicely. I hope turning on this device does not strain my knees. Time will tell...

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”