DOOM 3 BFG VR fork on github

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
IGameArt
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Re: DOOM 3 BFG VR fork on github

Post by IGameArt »

2eyeguy, you're working really fast. Thats completely awesome. Wishing i had my rift so i could try this out. For the doom3 portion of the game, is all thats left for full support adjusting the shader and removing the clipping at the top and bottom of the screen?
2EyeGuy
Certif-Eyable!

Post by 2EyeGuy »

Depends what you call "full support".
Ideally, you want to see your body when you look down; independent aiming so the gun isn't glued to your nose; head and neck rotation model; cutscenes where you control the camera (or better yet, viewing cutscenes from your avatar's POV where possible); displaying the PDA on the actual PDA model instead of fullscreen; rendering loading-screens as attached to the world instead of to your face; improving the HUD; crouching and jumping detection; support for hand-tracking; support for 6DOF position tracking; making it user-friendly to put the game in Rift mode; and maybe some other things.

And not VR related: all the bink files don't play at the moment, because that was removed from the source-code release and nobody has put it back yet.
IGameArt
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by IGameArt »

Well for the most part I was referring to the level of support that was in the quakecon and e3 builds. However all of that stuff would be pretty amazing and i'd be more than happy to contribute to it but i dont have a whole lot of c++ experience. I have lots of classic d3 modding xp though :P
2EyeGuy
Certif-Eyable!

Post by 2EyeGuy »

IGameArt wrote:Well for the most part I was referring to the level of support that was in the quakecon and e3 builds. However all of that stuff would be pretty amazing and i'd be more than happy to contribute to it but i dont have a whole lot of c++ experience. I have lots of classic d3 modding xp though :P
The quakecon features that are currently missing are:
* rendering at full resolution
* proper support for the panel size we are using
* last minute head-tracking update when rendering to reduce latency
* rotation using head and neck model instead of rotating around the eyeball
* user friendly setup (possibly)
* Bink video playback
Jose
Cross Eyed!

Post by Jose »

I spent some time playing this with my Rift.

Anyone trying this mod out with a devkit Rift will need to reduce the stereoRender_warpTargetFraction. I'm experiencing good results with "0.86" but I'm sure it depends on the individual. I don't recommend using the negative convergence trick.

Reducing the warptargetfraction also reduces the visible area. I notice this most on the horizontal edges.

Here's my config. Paste this at the end of default.cfg:

Code: Select all

// move the center of the individual eye viewports towards the center of the physical screen. this is needed for the 7" devkit screen.
seta stereoRender_warpTargetFraction "0.86"

// infinite convergence for HMDs
seta stereoRender_convergence "0"

// set IPD
seta stereoRender_interoccularcentimeters "5.8"

// disable headbob effects to minimize motion sickness
seta pm_bobroll "0"
seta pm_bobpitch "0"
seta pm_bobup "0"
seta pm_runroll "0"
seta pm_runpitch "0"
seta pm_runbob "0"
seta pm_walkbob "0"
seta pm_crouchbob "0"

// increase pitch range to allow upside down positions
seta pm_maxviewpitch "989"
seta pm_minviewpitch "-989"

// set your height in inches
seta pm_normalviewheight "64"

// disable screen effects. sometimes screen effects only apply to one eye. when that happens, it's very uncomfortable.
seta g_skipvieweffects "1"

// disable some more screen effects when enemies attack you
seta g_doublevision "0"
seta g_kickTime "0"
edit:

Attached are some screenshots that are viewable on a Rift, mostly from a q3dm1 custom map for doom 3:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2EyeGuy
Certif-Eyable!

Post by 2EyeGuy »

Wow, thank you Jose. Should I be adding any of those settings in the source code?
Jose
Cross Eyed!

Post by Jose »

Disabling the headbobbing should be done by default, I think. That was the source of a lot of discomfort when I started playing.

The screen effects should be disabled also I think, because it is intensely uncomfortable when an enemy attacks the player and the screen "hurt" effect only applies to one eye.

Everything else, I don't know.
drgroove101
Cross Eyed!

Post by drgroove101 »

Jose wrote:Disabling the headbobbing should be done by default, I think. That was the source of a lot of discomfort when I started playing.

The screen effects should be disabled also I think, because it is intensely uncomfortable when an enemy attacks the player and the screen "hurt" effect only applies to one eye.

Everything else, I don't know.
Those sound like good suggestions! Very excited for this project guys, sounds like it's coming along nicely
jack612
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by jack612 »

Jose wrote:I spent some time playing this with my Rift.

Anyone trying this mod out with a devkit Rift will need to reduce the stereoRender_warpTargetFraction. I'm experiencing good results with "0.86" but I'm sure it depends on the individual. I don't recommend using the negative convergence trick.

Reducing the warptargetfraction also reduces the visible area. I notice this most on the horizontal edges.

Here's my config. Paste this at the end of default.cfg:

// move the center of the individual eye viewports towards the center of the physical screen. this is needed for the 7" devkit screen.
seta stereoRender_warpTargetFraction "0.86"

// infinite convergence for HMDs
seta stereoRender_convergence "0"

// set IPD
seta stereoRender_interoccularcentimeters "5.8"

// disable headbob effects to minimize motion sickness
seta pm_bobroll "0"
seta pm_bobpitch "0"
seta pm_bobup "0"
seta pm_runroll "0"
seta pm_runpitch "0"
seta pm_runbob "0"
seta pm_walkbob "0"
seta pm_crouchbob "0"

// increase pitch range to allow upside down positions
seta pm_maxviewpitch "989"
seta pm_minviewpitch "-989"

// set your height in inches
seta pm_normalviewheight "64"

// disable screen effects. sometimes screen effects only apply to one eye. when that happens, it's very uncomfortable.
seta g_skipvieweffects "1"

// disable some more screen effects when enemies attack you
seta g_doublevision "0"
seta g_kickTime "0"
edit:

Attached are some screenshots that are viewable on a Rift, mostly from a q3dm1 custom map for doom 3:
Just tried out these settings and it looks pretty good aside from the visible area being a bit too narrow. Definitely very playable. Thanks!
nicolasbol
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by nicolasbol »

What is the status of this fork with regards to the Occulus Rift support ?

I downloaded the source from Github, compiled and added the parameters to default.cfg.
In the game I select side-by-side full but it is not working very well:

- Each eyes are not getting the right matrix transformation.
- It doesn't look like there is a Barrel Distortion shader.

Am I missing something ?
jack612
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by jack612 »

Grab this: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/101772879/Doom3BFGTracking.zip and use the settings a few posts back. It works pretty well but there are still a couple of issues with the dev kit.
norgoth
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by norgoth »

jack612 wrote:Grab this: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/101772879/Doom3BFGTracking.zip and use the settings a few posts back. It works pretty well but there are still a couple of issues with the dev kit.
is this a doom3 version for the rift ?
Jose
Cross Eyed!

Post by Jose »

norgoth wrote: is this a doom3 version for the rift ?
Yes.
nicolasbol wrote:- Each eyes are not getting the right matrix transformation.
- It doesn't look like there is a Barrel Distortion shader.

Am I missing something ?
What do you mean by not getting the right matrix transformation? Also, enter this command into your console to enable the warp shader:

stereoRender_warp 1
norgoth
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by norgoth »

maybe you could contact cymatic Bruce for a nice review of your work.
I ll receive my rift next month: do you think the game will be fully ready for a non dev as me ?
3dvison
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by 3dvison »

Yea, I am not great with software/programing, I would love to be able to play this on my Dev.Rift when it comes..Thanks for working on it.
drgroove101
Cross Eyed!

Post by drgroove101 »

Cymatic Bruce posted a look-see at this integration, it was well done as usual!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Roc-yApBY4k

His impression is that it is highly playable, which is welcoming to hear. I'm really looking forward to playing this on my Rift when I receive it. I remember watching an interview with Palmer and he was reiterating that the Rift was meant for developers only and said something along the lines of "If you're not a developer, you're just buying a $300 device to play Doom3." And I thought to myself... WORTH IT! :D

Even more-so than Doom 3 though, I want to play the classic dooms in VR! Especially Doom 2! :twisted: Bruce says that the classic games in BFG support left to right head movement, but not up and down. Even though the sprites will be paper thin, I think it would be a cool experience once full head tracking is implemented!

Thanks again to everyone working on this, I hope development is going well. This thread hasn't been active lately so I hope things haven't plateaued, or worse, halted!

Say it with me ... DOOM! Such a good franchise
spire8989
Cross Eyed!

Post by spire8989 »

I believe his main complaints were:
- Head kick needs to go
- Some damage effects happen on only one eye, making them painful
- Laser sight needs to make a dot on walls

I might be missing one or two things...
LeeN
Cross Eyed!

Post by LeeN »

stereo warp is not working for me, turning it on (1) and off (0) from the console has no effect. I'm on an AMD Radeon HD 5870, I don't know if that makes a difference.

I'll try building from source and step through the code.

The only thing that I notice so far is that it doesn't autodetect the Rift and display on it, I had to mirror the display. I recently added code on Jedi Academy that does that, maybe I can add it to this if it isn't some other issue that is preventing that from working.
LeeN
Cross Eyed!

Post by LeeN »

The other weird thing was the default resolution it tried to use was 1280x720 which had an offset (gap) from the top left corner. I went into the settings and changed it to 1280x800 and it fixed it.
LeeN
Cross Eyed!

Post by LeeN »

Okay I'm dumb, I missed the post that said to fix warping not enabling to use "Full Side By Side".

I did discover that the source code build instructions need to be updated, I'm guessing I need to add additional libraries now?

For me g_fov of 99 works the best, if I do anything wider than that the ground warps at the bottom of the screen when I turn my head. This might be because I am using the C lenses wearing glasses, so it might not be the same for everyone.
LeeN
Cross Eyed!

Post by LeeN »

I created some experimental code that in cinematics Zoom is disabled (fov is always g_fov) and you can look around with head tracking or the mouse. There is a bug with it, in that it doesn't reset the position when entering a cinematic so sometimes you can be facing the wrong direction.

I attached a source code patch and binary.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
przecinek
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by przecinek »

Bruce's review sums up current progress on DOOM3 VR integration pretty well I guess.

Like others I'm hoping that is is still an active project, and there will be more updates in the future.

DOOM! :lol: :roll:
2EyeGuy
Certif-Eyable!

Post by 2EyeGuy »

LeeN wrote:I created some experimental code that in cinematics Zoom is disabled (fov is always g_fov) and you can look around with head tracking or the mouse. There is a bug with it, in that it doesn't reset the position when entering a cinematic so sometimes you can be facing the wrong direction.

I attached a source code patch and binary.
Thanks! I added that to the github repository. I can only test it with the mouse, but it works well, except that cutscenes feel really jumpy now.
Omarzuqo
Cross Eyed!

Post by Omarzuqo »

You intend to add independent aiming, right? Does that mean hydra support? If so, I humbly suggest to do it so you control the weapon with the right controller (obviously) and the flashlight with the left one, instead of it being attached to the player's hip.

I think it would add a great deal of immersion, not to mention it would be a good way to make DOOM excel among the other Rift demos because no one has done it before.
You can also Greenlight other Rift games.
LeeN
Cross Eyed!

Post by LeeN »

I fixed the issue with the cinematic camera starting facing the wrong direction. After playing with it more last night, I realized it does that for almost all cinematics.

I'm not sure what you mean by jumpy, maybe its the same issue of the camera starting in the wrong direction? If that is the case, this might fix it. If you mean the mouse is sensitive I'm not sure what to do with that.

Attached the patch (from previous patch so should work with the latest in git) and binary.
drgroove101
Cross Eyed!

Post by drgroove101 »

przecinek wrote:Bruce's review sums up current progress on DOOM3 VR integration pretty well I guess.
Like others I'm hoping that is is still an active project, and there will be more updates in the future.
DOOM! :lol: :roll:
Don't roll your eyes at me! lol, Doom is awesome and you know it! :lol:
Omarzuqo wrote:You intend to add independent aiming, right? Does that mean hydra support? If so, I humbly suggest to do it so you control the weapon with the right controller (obviously) and the flashlight with the left one, instead of it being attached to the player's hip.
I think it would add a great deal of immersion, not to mention it would be a good way to make DOOM excel among the other Rift demos because no one has done it before.
Wow great idea! controlling both the flashlight and the gun with the Hydra would be AMAZING! Imagine getting the gun and flashlight working ala Nathan Andrews HL2VR mod? :woot This would take a significant amount of work though, most likely including some 3d modeling.

IMO probably better to focus on getting the core gameplay down first before trying the crazy stuff, but I LOVE this idea!
the_wretched
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by the_wretched »

I agree, that would add a ton of immersion and make good use of the second Hydra. But lets get the Basics down first. I'm really excited by this, thanks a lot guys for your dedication! You're finishing what JC couldn't/wouldn't - awesome!
3dvison
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by 3dvison »

I am waiting on a Rift (Processing) and will be ordering a hydra. I just Love the idea of playing Doom3-BGF with both the Rift & Hydra...Thanks to all of you with the skill to pull this off.
GameDev
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by GameDev »

Hi Guys,

Need some help please.

I followed this guide from Jose last night in trying to get this to work with Doom 3 BFG.

However, it just doesnt seem to work very well. Im not sure how to explain it, but i see almost double of the image on screen, like the central point or distance isnt correct for the 3d image.

Head tracking works beautifully though! Its just the image problem which gives huge strain on the eyes as its not correct.

Please can you tell me what im missing? or if i have to play around with a setting?

I didn't input any console commands, but i copied all of Jose's settings into default.cfg, i also downloaded the cinematic zoom fix from LeeN and put that in.

Thanks guys and keep up the good work!
drgroove101
Cross Eyed!

Post by drgroove101 »

Cymatic Bruce wrote a guide to get Doom 3 up and running on the Rift here;

http://www.roadtovr.com/2013/04/27/cyma ... pport-5327

Hope that helps!
GameDev
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by GameDev »

Hi,

yeah mate thanks but i used that same guide also. I guess im just going to have to try again and play with some settings till i get it right.
LeeN
Cross Eyed!

Post by LeeN »

GameDev wrote:Hi,

yeah mate thanks but i used that same guide also. I guess im just going to have to try again and play with some settings till i get it right.
Are you running fullscreen? Press alt-enter in the menus or in game to toggle full screen.

Also try to post a screenshot if you can.
GameDev
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by GameDev »

LeeN wrote:
GameDev wrote:Hi,

Are you running fullscreen? Press alt-enter in the menus or in game to toggle full screen.

Also try to post a screenshot if you can.
Yeah i tried that but i was already in full screen.

I played with all the settings for an hour today and nothing seemed to work.

The problem im getting is that i see two images of everything, like the npc or crates at the start of the game. However, as i get closer to the object they form into one object. Another thing i noticed is that if i only use one eye and close one then it works perfectly! (and i see no ghosting)

I tweaked interOccular right from 5 in small increments to 6 but nothing worked, i then also input a crazy number such as 100, surprisingly it looked ok from a distance, as there was no ghosting, however as soon as i started playing and getting close to the objects (ie. npc) it went haywire! and i started seeing even more ghosting. I also tried various other random numbers in between but if it worked for the long distance then it didnt work for up close to objects and vice versa.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for your help!
LeeN
Cross Eyed!

Post by LeeN »

GameDev wrote: Yeah i tried that but i was already in full screen.

The problem im getting is that i see two images of everything, like the npc or crates at the start of the game. However, as i get closer to the object they form into one object. Another thing i noticed is that if i only use one eye and close one then it works perfectly! (and i see no ghosting)

I tweaked interOccular right from 5 in small increments to 6 but nothing worked, i then also input a crazy number such as 100, surprisingly it looked ok from a distance, as there was no ghosting, however as soon as i started playing and getting close to the objects (ie. npc) it went haywire! and i started seeing even more ghosting. I also tried various other random numbers in between but if it worked for the long distance then it didnt work for up close to objects and vice versa.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for your help!
This sounds like a similar thing I may have been experiencing when I first tried running it.
Try turning on and off stereoRender_warp, it should be a noticeable difference between when it is on versus off.
When I first started I couldn't turn on stereoRender_warp because I was not in 'Side By Side Full' and I was confused as to why things looked weird and also tried adjusting the other settings.
GameDev
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by GameDev »

LeeN wrote:
GameDev wrote: Yeah i tried that but i was already in full screen.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for your help!
This sounds like a similar thing I may have been experiencing when I first tried running it.
Try turning on and off stereoRender_warp, it should be a noticeable difference between when it is on versus off.
When I first started I couldn't turn on stereoRender_warp because I was not in 'Side By Side Full' and I was confused as to why things looked weird and also tried adjusting the other settings.
Wow thanks alot man, it was just that! I needed to turn on stereoRender_warp. After everything was working fine. Probably would be good if Bruce mentions this in his guide!

Now that ive got it playing, i can play around with the other settings to make it look better.

Thanks alot for your help!
2EyeGuy
Certif-Eyable!

Post by 2EyeGuy »

LeeN wrote:I fixed the issue with the cinematic camera starting facing the wrong direction. After playing with it more last night, I realized it does that for almost all cinematics.

I'm not sure what you mean by jumpy, maybe its the same issue of the camera starting in the wrong direction? If that is the case, this might fix it. If you mean the mouse is sensitive I'm not sure what to do with that.

Attached the patch (from previous patch so should work with the latest in git) and binary.
I mean lots of cuts during the cutscene, which work OK if you keep the mouse still, but if you look around with the mouse during the cutscene then it feels all jumpy and wrong. It's probably not such an issue with absolute control via head tracking, because then you have a fixed point in space you can (and naturally do) go back to looking at, which makes everything look right.
2EyeGuy
Certif-Eyable!

Post by 2EyeGuy »

Omarzuqo wrote:You intend to add independent aiming, right? Does that mean hydra support? If so, I humbly suggest to do it so you control the weapon with the right controller (obviously) and the flashlight with the left one, instead of it being attached to the player's hip.

What I'd like most is to have different weapons, the "flashlight" (ie torch), and the PDA attached to various parts of the body, and have you be able to pick up whichever you want in whichever hand you want, or put them back. Then you could hold things however you wanted. But some weapons might need two hands. I'm a long way from implementing that though. I don't even know if the "flashlight" is even still in the Doom 3 BFG resources.
GameDev
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by GameDev »

2EyeGuy wrote:

What I'd like most is to have different weapons, the "flashlight" (ie torch), and the PDA attached to various parts of the body, and have you be able to pick up whichever you want in whichever hand you want, or put them back. Then you could hold things however you wanted. But some weapons might need two hands. I'm a long way from implementing that though. I don't even know if the "flashlight" is even still in the Doom 3 BFG resources.
Sounds awesome, thats exactly how i would love to play the game! Cant wait to see this implemented.
3DJB
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by 3DJB »

Is there a command in Doom 3 BFG that can allow me to either turn off or adjust the vertical look sensitivity? I would rather not be able to look up or down with the mouse/gamepad and just use the Oculus's motion sensor to look up and down like I do in the Tuscany demo. I would still like to keep the horizontal looking with the mouse/gamepad though. Just disable or significantly reduce the vertical looking on the mouse/gamepad.
Jose
Cross Eyed!

Post by Jose »

To disable the vertical mouse-looking you can use in console:

m_pitch 0
I do not know the command to disable it for the gamepad.

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”